Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Potty training

(8 Posts)
Joanna66 Fri 20-May-16 12:13:15

I've got DGD coming to stay from this evening for the whole weekend and she's currently potty training. DIL only started a couple of days ago, so it's early stages. She's two years old. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't done this in so many years...any tips? She's going to make a terrible mess isn't she...

fiorentina51 Fri 20-May-16 12:25:29

My DIL used a sticker reward system. If the boys managed to do a wee in the potty they got 1 sticker. For a poo you got 2!
Has she started anything like that? If so, you might find it useful to carry on with it when GC comes to stay. We had the twins over when they were about 2 weeks into potty training. I was pretty nervous as it was over 30 years since I had last done any of that sort of thing but I was surprised how quickly it all came back.
We had about 4 potties strategically placed around the house plus a pile of pants and trousers. The boys rose to the challenge and I think we only had a couple of puddles to deal with the whole time they were with us.
Good luck and have fun with you GC.?

Cherrytree59 Fri 20-May-16 12:50:39

My DGS wears trainer nappy pants. Whilst he's running round I don't put on his trousers. So he can quickly pull down just the pants and sit on potty for a wee when he's finished he shows me. We both clap and then I let him carry it
(he insists! That is the precarious bit of the proceedings)and put it down loo flush and hand wash.
The poo is a bit different as he likes privacy and as yet can usually hold it till gets home.
I have learned the signs though. He will go very quiet and retreat behind the chair. I then whip take off the trainer pants sit on him the potty and leave the room.
When he finished we go through the same procedure as the 'wee' scenario

I let him leave the potty where he is most happy with.
I then slip a mat underneath for a bit of add protection.

At night time he still has a nappy on
Which if he is staying over I change before I go to bed ( he sleeps longer with drier nappywink) it doesn't wake him.
I think DGD parents will give the low down on how they want you to carry out the training.
But I'm sure there will be hardly any mess.
If the weather is nice maybe you could be in the garden.
If any accidents happen I just say never mindYou can do it in potty next time
At home for first few days of training DD put a plastic table cloth down where he played.
Good luck

Thingmajig Fri 20-May-16 12:58:41

We are doing the same with DGD age almost 2.5 and it's been fine. She was useless last week playing out in the garden, probably just too busy doing her work! This week there have been no accidents. We make sure she uses the potty before we go anywhere (she was even fine going to my mums which is well over an hour away), before going for a nap etc.
She loves her wee pants (smallest size available!) and gets to choose which pair she wears every day. Just the one pair a day now. grin

The parents were putting her nappy pants on when they went out so had to be told to cease and desist or she'd only end up confused, not toilet trained.

I have a waterproof sheet on her bed figuring it's easier to remove and wash than the mattress cover. She still has her nappy at night but not for her afternoon nap ... no accidents yet, clever wee girl!
Loads of pants etc and potties downstairs and upstairs in her room.
DD uses stickers at home, our Minnie Mouse potty has a handle she pulls to get a big cheer! smile

Joanna66 Mon 23-May-16 09:30:42

Thanks all. I didn't have time to post all weekend! It went well with sticker charts and rewards, only a couple of accidents.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 12:58:07

From experience of three children and a grandson, the key is not to push for anything before they are ready. Gently manouvre but don't push.

I introduced a potty into the house long before they began using it, so they weren't fazed by the thing.

I found the worst person to ask for advice was my mother. She was intolerant and nobody was as good as her ever. I had a horrible childhood. I regressed back into nappies at two. She had had my brother by then and I was completely potty trained until I realised the pecking order had begun.

I think those trainer pants are fantastic. A great aid. Especially with boys who tend to be lazy smile

Jamie7714 Tue 06-Jun-17 18:43:05

Help, anyone else a novice on this at the moment? potty training has been started not very successfully at his home and we have new carpets. Im afraid Im going to be so edgy about it on my day with grandson.

any good ideas for dealing with puddles on carpets?

whitewave Tue 06-Jun-17 19:00:26

smilelots of kitchen paper and upholstery cleaner should do the trick. Dont use hot water as it might set the stain if there is one