Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

"Sturdy" grandson.

(27 Posts)
Daddima Sat 06-Aug-16 13:29:11

Recently I've noticed my 13 year old grandson has gained a lot of weight. He's not in the least interested in physical pursuits, preferring to spend his time glued to his iPad. My son is happy with this, as he says at least he knows where he is, and what he's doing.
Now, I would answer this thread and tell myself it was none of my business, it's up to his parents, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.
He is a very sociable child ( teenager?), and certainly not lacking in social skills. I just feel it would be easier for his parents ( both slender, as are his younger brother and sisters) to address the issue now.

harrigran Sun 07-Aug-16 11:07:29

My GD wears clothes that are meant for twice her age but she is not inactive, she swims, dances and does karate and her parents have her out hiking at weekends. I think some children go through a phase where they are a little larger before they grow in height.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 10:26:31

Although it might encourage a bit of movement. I might give mine to DGS2. I never use it.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Aug-16 10:22:42

Trouble with a Fitbit is it records steps taken and disregards any other form of motion. Including scooters, bikes and skate boards. How many teens actually enjoy walking?

f77ms Sun 07-Aug-16 08:00:44

I would be concerned about him getting fat for his sake, it can have a negative impact on his confidence and health , but you can only encourage him to be active and not force the issue . A fitbit is a great idea , youngsters love anything techy and it will make him aware of how little he is moving! Things can change at this age but I doubt it if he is glued to a screen .

seasider Sun 07-Aug-16 07:40:53

When my son was at Scout camp in the pouring rain and Bear Grylls arrived with a minder and an umbrella! My DS was overweight and very self conscious about playing sport. At age 13 he became more aware of what he was eating, got a bike and a paper round and the weight has dropped off. He has just joined a football team! When he was overweight I tried to encourage him to eat the "right" things but refused to put pressure on him as puberty is a difficult time anyway.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Aug-16 06:52:56

I agree with you there Jinglebells much too much of a 'celebrity' to be a Chief Scout got to say my granddaughter wasn't impressed at all .. I got put off when I saw some programme where he was making people stick tubes up their a** on camera and I thought he was a , * whoops nearly said a w word there

Cookingongas Sat 06-Aug-16 23:39:25

All of the above are good ideas. But can I introduce the idea that he may be overweight because he doesn't like exercise and eats crap. And he likes it that way. He is the same person,thin or fat.

He may be in a growth spurt, or a phase. But what if he becomes an overweight teen who grows into an overweight adult?if I were you I'd focus on him- who he is and fostering a relationship with him rather than his size.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 22:54:47

Bear Grylls put in a very brief apperance at the last camp DGS was at. Would not be at all surprised about the makeup. I don't think he's a good choice for Chief Scout.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-16 22:36:08

Don't need to try a different scout troop they all do one evening a week anyway they love it but I m just saying it's only a couple of hours a week some kids aren't born to be Bear Gryliss there shouldn't have to be pressure to make them into one if its not their thing anyway he wears a lot of make up says my grandaughter scout who had a boat ride with him last year LOL

Cherrytree59 Sat 06-Aug-16 22:34:57

What about exercise games on the
W E Nintendo, I think you can buy second hand.
My DS was not into football and most sport but enjoyed table tennis and swimming
What about junior golf
There is also good old bribery
My DC always had a small amount pocket money from their GPs If they were well behaved (seems they always were grin) and they got a bit extra for small achievements.(School work and sport).

durhamjen Sat 06-Aug-16 22:18:17

My husband never did much physically, as he'd been diabetic since he was 11, and exercise wasn't encouraged in the 50s and 60s.
Our son and his partner go running, 5k, 10k and a few marathons.
Their 14 year old son feels as if he might get fat if he doesn't go running every other day at least, 5k minimum and quite often 10k. His sister doesn't like running, but she dances everywhere, even down to school and back.
That could be nature, but it's definitely nurture.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 22:11:45

Try him on kayaking. Or trampolining.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 22:10:44

Might be both.

There are more things in our genes than this world dreams of. Or something similar.

durhamjen Sat 06-Aug-16 22:05:23

If dad doesn't do much doesn't make it genetic. That's nurture, not nature.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 16:00:59

Try a different Scout troop.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 16:00:18

You can expose, and encourage. Maybe Dad should become a helper. But it's all likely to be genetic. If Dad doesn't do much....

But there's usually an outdoor activity they can be encouraged into. With the right guidance. So much on offer these days.

My elder GS seems to spend half his weekends at some camp or other. He slings his hammock between two trees. With an overhead tarpaulin.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-16 15:44:06

You cant join' a child to anything if they are not interested some kids are sporty some aren't, some are 'made' to be sporty and it puts them off for life..... would you be worked up if he was a child who sat reading or doing homework in his room all the time. You can encourage things by taking them to activity places as a family or join the gym with them or going for a family cycle ride but you cant just 'join'' them to scouts or gym or football if hes not interested Scouts is great and my two that live near me do go but its only one evening a week and occasional camps so wouldnt necessarily make much difference
He will go up and down and maybe by next year hes be a string bean without any input

obieone Sat 06-Aug-16 14:15:29

Is he interested in girls?
They can sometimes change the situation around.

I would personally, if I were the parent try and do something.
But they may already be doing so.
Another thing to consider is if there is an underlying problem of some sort, either physical or emotional. But there may not be.

kittylester Sat 06-Aug-16 14:04:18

I'd echo what Bluebelle says. When DS2 was in his teens he was chubby, then skinny, then chubby and then skinny etc. He could eat for England but was very sporty. He is now a tall, slim almost 43 year old.

DaphneBroon Sat 06-Aug-16 13:57:05

Would he like the idea of a FitBit?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 13:44:57

And what Tanith said*. Seriously.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Aug-16 13:44:17

Is your son an inactive type of person?

Join him up to the Scouts. He is missing so much.

tanith Sat 06-Aug-16 13:43:16

Introduce him to Pokemon Go at least he'll be out of the house and movinggrin

BlueBelle Sat 06-Aug-16 13:41:04

13 is a time of growth spurts and kids go out, then up, then out, then up A year ago I thought one of my grandaughters was getting a bit chubby, also not interested in sport however now at 13 she is a beanpole gone up to 5 ft 8 and really has a lovely figure 13 is also an age when kids can be likely to get anorexic ( boys and girls ) if told they re getting chubby so from my point of view I d not worry too much and not say anything to him at all

Christinefrance Sat 06-Aug-16 13:38:06

Sounds a bit like taking the easy option using iPad etc. I encountered a similar problem and grandson is now an obese adult with no interest in physical activity at all. You can only try to include him in activities and encourage but it's not easy.