Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Big day for two DGC!

(30 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Mon 15-Aug-16 18:06:45

Today the eldest DGC started secondary school and the youngest started primary school. It seems no time since they were babies!

Need less to say, the weather has suddenly changed for the better (not difficult) and as the schools here go back tomorrow, I expect that the sun will now continue to shine.

shysal Tue 06-Sep-16 15:05:07

I had the job of making DGS's new slim fit school trousers narrower. He can just about get his foot into them! Little things can cause upset when starting a new school where he doesn't have any friends, and he was anxious about not looking trendy!

When I began at Grammar School I was devastated that a girl stole my comb on the first day. I had previously been at a small private school and didn't know a soul. I cried all day at first and hated the whole of my time there due to my shyness. I wouldn't wish that on any of my DGCs!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Sep-16 14:49:10

My younger GS started secondary school today too. I have worried more about him than I ever did about the other kids in my life. He has an August birthday so he will be a year younger than most in his class. DD assures me he went in very confidently though. smile So grown up now. Sigh.

pollyperkins Tue 06-Sep-16 14:43:46

I'm told by my granddaughter age 10 that French Plaits are all th rage at the moment!

shysal Tue 06-Sep-16 14:35:55

My youngest grandson started secondary school yesterday, and DD, an experienced TA, started work at the local primary school. Both got on fine, found everyone friendly. DD struggled to remember the names of about 15 blonde girls with plaits!

felice Tue 06-Sep-16 13:39:13

Oops, their not there !!

felice Tue 06-Sep-16 13:38:04

They start Primary here at 6, but Maternalle(pre school) from 2 1/2 onwards. DGS 4 1/2 just moved up a year and is now getting a much more fixed educational style than he did last year.
They have to pass certain milestones to move up all through there school lives here. Belguim. School leaving age is 18.

Jalima Tue 06-Sep-16 13:21:04

hmm Speldnan* not sure.
DGD was only just four when she started (a couple of days before term started) and she has coped well.
However, if he was premature and his expected birth date (not his actual birthday) was after the start of the school year can he delay starting school until next year?

Speldnan Tue 06-Sep-16 13:07:48

My GS starts primary next week he's 4 and a half and still a baby in many ways ( he was premature too) he's ready for it intellectually but still often sleeps in the day and has trouble dressing etc. Does anyone think 4 is too young to start school? In New Zealand where my other GC live they start the nearest week after their 5th birthday and I believe it's even later in some other countries. I don't see why they couldn't start in their 5th year but I expect working parents wanting them off their hands might have something to do with it. Would be interested to hear from any primary teachers or their parents on the subject.

leemw711 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:47:46

My granddaughter, who is 3 1/2, currently attends nursery two days a week, a total of 7 hours. In September she will be starting at the local Montesori school (hope I spelled that correctly!) for 5 afternoons a week. She loved her visit and starter session and the advantage for me, as daytime carer, is that it's only about 100 yards from my house. Hope she will love it!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 16-Aug-16 17:51:17

Yes, we are in Scotland, rosesarered, where the schools are going back just now, although not on the same day in all local authorities, as you will see from other posts.

Thank you to all those who sent good wishes, and good wishes from me to all those who have DGC starting new schools or even classes in the near future. So far reports from mine are favourable. Long may it continue!

Solitaire Tue 16-Aug-16 15:49:14

I have another 2 weeks with my 12 yr old grandson before he goes back to school in to year 8 and it's too soon!
I was the same with my children, I loved them at home during school hols and would have loved to home school them, but as a single parent I had to work full time to support them.
They grow up so fast! My GS is already much taller than I am...I'm 5.' 6" and he has been shaving for about 10 months and has a really deep voice...no longer my cuddly wee lad ?

rosesarered Tue 16-Aug-16 15:37:04

craftycat do you still like your nap?grin

meandashy Tue 16-Aug-16 15:34:10

Scotland schools start back tomorrow! I for one can't wait ☺ (I'm a kinship carer & the summer has exhausted me beyond belief! )

annodomini Tue 16-Aug-16 11:13:36

I had a dream about DGS2 starting secondary school next month. He looked so little and vulnerable in his oversized blazer! In reality he's a good size for his age (only just 11) and can usually give as good as he gets. He also has several mates who will be in the same class. That's three consecutive years in which DGC (two different families) have gone off to secondary schools and the first two are thriving.

MammaN Tue 16-Aug-16 11:11:46

When I started school umpteen years ago there was a bed in the corner of the classroom. I don't remember ever using it but others did. Not sure how one bed served the 40+ children in the class though confused.

Irenelily Tue 16-Aug-16 11:03:26

My eldest grand daughter starts teaching this Seprember in Primary school! The youngest is still in nursery, the rest in Primary (different families of course) I find every stage interesting and exciting - miss the babies - and doesn't time fly!

RAF Tue 16-Aug-16 10:18:58

Grandson starts school in September. Like Craftycat, will only have one left under school age, time whizzes by. At my school, the desks were pushed back after every lunch time, felt mats (very thin!) unrolled and put on the floor, and we were expected to sleep or stay quiet for an hour, right up until the age of 8!

Craftycat Tue 16-Aug-16 09:48:53

My GD joins her brother at school in Sept. She wants to put her new uniform on every morning. That will be 5 out of my 6 GC at school- just the 2 year old to go now. So sad.
I used to have my nap with my head on the desk all through my first year at school. Didn't matter what they were doing- even if it was Wendy House- which I loved- I had a sleep & that was that! My teacher found it funny too. I expect it gave her a break!

Jayh Tue 16-Aug-16 09:40:24

My two GDs start school this session. One in Scotland and one in England. Two pairs of school shoes bought and two sets of personalised pencils. I feel sad.

nanaK54 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:28:18

Wishing them well important day indeed

goose1964 Tue 16-Aug-16 09:20:44

My eldest grandson starts infants in september

Badenkate Tue 16-Aug-16 08:33:55

Hope their big days go well When.

TwiceAsNice Tue 16-Aug-16 08:32:02

My twin grandchildren go into the juniors in Sept and will have a longer day. The one particularly finds changing classes upsetting and takes a few weeks to settle every year. It doesn't seem five minutes since I held them after they were born doesn't time fly!

ninathenana Tue 16-Aug-16 08:29:49

Scotland go back this week I think.

rosesarered Tue 16-Aug-16 08:25:44

They soon grow up ( thank goodness grin) although which country do you live in
whenIwasyourage ? children in England are out until about Sept 5th.