Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Glad I'm NOT a grandparent

(243 Posts)
bionicwoman Thu 29-Sep-16 13:31:00

Both my children (32 and 35) have announced that they do not want children - and I am quite relieved!
So why when I tell people this (usually when they have been droning on about their grandchildren for the last hour) do they feel they have to say, 'Don't worry, they may change their minds', or say something that clearly implies that I am unnatural or weird in some way.
I am 60 and retired. I have a couple of dogs to walk and that is enough of a tie for me. I do not want to babysit, or take children to the park, or have them to sleep over. I've been there and done that with my own two when I was young enough to get on my hands and knees to play.
I think what I'm trying to say to all you grandparents out there is that there are people like me who are not worried in the slightest that they do not have grandchildren, have plenty of other things to do in retirement and are not selfish/ miserable/ peculiar.
Why am I on this site? Well, firstly to get the message above out to those of you who think I am strange/ will change that I am not and will not. And secondly because I came across this site when Googling the positives of not having grandchildren. Apparently there are none! I would beg to differ and would be happy to list them, but some of you might consider me 'negative'.
So all you grandparents out there, enjoy the next generation if that gives you pleasure, but please don't pity me or think I'm weird. And no, I don'to want hear about your grandchildren. Could we talk about you instead?

Araabra Tue 14-Feb-17 17:06:14

Chewbacca "I enjoy being a granny far more than I enjoyed being a mum." A universal truth, me too.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Feb-17 18:33:14

I enjoy being a granny far more than I enjoyed being a mum.

Araabra Sun 12-Feb-17 18:31:25

I'm GLAD I am a GP.

petra Sat 11-Feb-17 17:58:58

At 35 my daughter had no intention of having children, she had her own business and living the life of riley. No partner, no husband: at 38, 2 children and a husband.
bionicwoman you never know what's round the corner.

Jalima Sat 11-Feb-17 13:50:09

Or 'men who are not grandads' as the case may be grin

Riverwalk Sat 11-Feb-17 13:47:15

As I said early on in the thread, there isn't much talk about grandchildren on Gransnet!

I rarely mention my lovely GC ..... from memory, I probably mostly talk about food, wine & going out and about blush

To redeem my grandmother credentials, my DGS is arriving tomorrow for five nights and I have an action-packed programme planned smile

Ankers Sat 11-Feb-17 13:36:07

Sorry and granddads too.

Ankers Sat 11-Feb-17 13:35:12

Looking down the Active forum at any time, generally only about 1 in 5 threads are specifically about Grans/grandchildren.

Luckygirl Sat 11-Feb-17 13:33:54

Gransnet does indeed have many threads about being a grandparent ("droning on" apparently grin); but it also has many threads that are irrelevant to that - and all contributors bring welcome shades of opinion, ideas and fun to many topics that reflect that we are all human beings (mostly on the older side).

NanaandGrampy Sat 11-Feb-17 13:25:35

Have I misunderstood ..... isn't Gransnet mostly about Grans?

I really liked your analogy Maw Crufts indeed .

Wheniwasyourage Sat 11-Feb-17 13:18:05

Aaargh!! Not, not no!!!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 11-Feb-17 13:17:40

in, no n. Proofread, proofread, proofread!!!

Wheniwasyourage Sat 11-Feb-17 13:16:56

Hope they're untwisted now, as it's far too cold n February to have an underwear malfunction!

sunseeker Sat 11-Feb-17 13:13:10

When Thanks, I have always felt welcome on GN it was Luckylegs assertion that this was a grandmothers site that got my knickers in a twist grin.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 11-Feb-17 13:07:04

I realise that this is an old thread and isn't going anywhere, but just wanted to say to sunseeker that of course you are welcome in GN, and yes, of course it is for anyone who is interested, of whatever age or whatever family circumstances. Your views are just as interesting as anyone else's! I'm sorry that you have lost your DH but I'm glad that you have had a long and happy marriage to look back on. flowers

MawBroon Sat 11-Feb-17 09:46:38

Not sure why this thread has been revived and OP is of course entitled to her opinion. However it's like picketing Crufts with a banner saying "Why I don't like dogs" and also cruelly rubbing salt in the wound for those estranged from their grandchildren, any whose daughter/DIL may be struggling to conceive, any who have miscarried or any grandparents mourning a beloved grandchild.
So, again, why start this thread on GN?
Alternatively, "Methinks she doth protest too much" hmm?

seacliff Sat 11-Feb-17 09:33:14

Oops, just realised how old this thread is

sunseeker Sat 11-Feb-17 09:18:30

Luckylegs I am on this forum because it is for people over a certain age, not just grandmothers (in fact I understand even men are welcome!) When you don't have children you are often excluded from many things, do you want to exclude me from here too? As for having a strong relationship with partners, my DH and I had a long wonderful and happy marriage but he died 6 years ago - are you suggesting just because I didn't have children I should shut myself away in some kind of purdah? I am happy for those who had children/grandchildren and as I have said I am always pleased for them when they boast about their exploits but it just wasn't for me.

seacliff Sat 11-Feb-17 09:03:55

I don't have grandchildren, yet. I feel a bit out of it when with 2 close friends, and they are discussing their very full lives with their grandchildren. They keep it to a minimum though, and we talk about lots of other subjects. I would love to be a Gran, you are all very lucky. I was not very maternal when younger, had my first child at 35, so if I'm ever lucky enough to be a Gran, it's a shame that I'll be an older Grannie and not such an active one. Nothing I can do about it, would certainly never drop hints, I just enjoy and am proud of my boys. OP does sound a little bitter and unhappy. Why would you post that?

Luckylegs9 Sat 11-Feb-17 08:39:40

Why are you on this forum Sun Seeker, it puzzles me. In no way am I critising you but if I didn't I wouldn't be looking at a grandmothers forum. I have friends who either chose or couldn't have children and all of them have a really strong relationship with their partners and lead very full lives. There lives do seem uncomplicated compared to my family dynamics, I am perhaps not very good at it.. I am glad I did have my family, but have had really wonderful times and a few bad ones, but thats life.

sunseeker Sat 11-Feb-17 07:25:50

I didn't have children (not the maternal type!), however whenever I meet up with my friends I am always happy to look at photos of their grandchildren and hear about their latest exploits and successes. My friends know this and after a while the conversation changes to other things.

Starlady Sat 11-Feb-17 04:16:16

To each their own! I adore my grands but respect the op's feelings. Everybody's different.

jacksmum Fri 10-Feb-17 21:20:17

I fully respect the OP post about not wanting g/children , the same way i respect couples who do not want children, BUT i adore my g/children , thank goodness next week is half term as have 1 G/daughter staying for few days ,whooppeee , i own 3 dogs and we enjoy our walks with dogs , i just hate that g/children are growing up so fast , so i treasure every minute i have with them.

Neversaydie Fri 10-Feb-17 20:21:21

Haven't rft
I would love them and so wouldDDs but neither is in a relationship
I am66 and just hope they arrive before I'm too old (had my children late in life)
But I'm very happpy to talk to my friends about theirs ,admire photos etc .

Yorkshiregel Mon 03-Oct-16 10:31:20

rubylady I really feel sad for you. You must be bewildered and so must your grandchildren. Do not give up hope. When they are 16 they will be able to make up their own minds whether they want to see you or not....I am sure you will find they will miss you as much as you miss them.