Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What are people buying grandchildren for Christmas?

(130 Posts)
SFrncis Fri 18-Nov-16 10:56:35

So, I'm looking for a gift for my granddaughter for Christmas, and thought I'd see what everyone is getting for you own grandchildren... It may even inspire some ideas. I'm currently thinking of something to do with dolls, as she absolutely adores them!

So, what are you getting?

quizqueen Sat 26-Nov-16 09:25:48

My granddaughter can choose one thing she asks for (in the £20-£30 range) then her mum suggests a couple of things and I buy some things I want her to have. I probably spend about £80 but now there's a new baby I will spend a bit less on each. I buy things throughout the year at sales. I got a playmobil advent calendar half price and am making a 'nappy ' advent calendar for the baby!!! I usually get books, activity sticker/craft packs, clothes, older style dvds like Pollyanna, smaller unusual toys etc. I need to buy a new high chair (I foolishly left my first one in the garage and it went mouldy!) for use at my house so I include that cost in the presents

MagicWriter2016 Thu 24-Nov-16 23:31:19

My youngest daughter is a nightmare. She starts her Xmas shopping early and by the time we ask what her girls would like, she's bought everything! I wish she would just get them something big and leave the smaller bits and bobs for grannies and aunties to buy.

J52 Thu 24-Nov-16 14:36:40

Well done!

path20 Thu 24-Nov-16 13:53:27

Hurray!!!! Managed to buy a Hatchimal today from Tesco Direct.My DIL was frantically trying to get one as it was on Santa's list.Quite expensive but at £56.95 cheaper than anywhere else, if you kind find one that is.I'm sure it will bring a big smile on my little granddaughter's face on Christmas morning.

gillybob Mon 21-Nov-16 21:20:19

Yes, you most certainly need help Helpme

br0adwater Mon 21-Nov-16 19:26:18

confused

helpme Mon 21-Nov-16 18:52:01

GET THEM KIDNEYS
BUY THEM ALL THE KIDNEYS
GET HER A KIPPER SUIT
(wine)

Dancinggran Sun 20-Nov-16 20:02:25

I have 6 grandchildren ranging in age from 12 down to 4, spend approx £35-£40 on each. Twelve year old granddaughter is getting money to put towards some electronic gadget. Youngest 2 girl 4 & boy 5 wooden dolls house and wooden train set, both from Asda. The other 2 not sure about yet neither has really given any real ideas of what they would like.

nurse1crys Sun 20-Nov-16 19:36:21

We have 8 DGC so spend about £30 on each. suggestions from DD. I also do 16 Christmas stockings( in a bag!) for the 3 families, kids and grandkids. These I start in the Jan sales to spread the cost. Some of the items are silly others more sensible.

Noni Sun 20-Nov-16 16:24:18

I get things which either I think they'll like or that they've asked for. Some times we spend a lot more than other years, depending on their requests as well. So last year a football t shirt each was treated with whoops of joy. This year the two boys (8 and 10) will share a table tennis present, so much more expensive. Hope they'll have lots of enjoyment out of it for years to come! I always buy books too. For birthdays and Christmas. I write in each one on the fly leaf and now am handing books down that their parents had, with appropriate inscriptions from us to their Mum or Dad! Very satisfying.
2 year old granddaughter is getting a dolls house which used to be our daughters this Christmas, plus a book of course!

Gagagran Sun 20-Nov-16 14:35:21

Ours are 15, 14, 11, and 11. Our DGS has asked if he could please have google-play vouchers and of the three girls, the eldest has requested cash, the 14-year old Topshop vouchers and her 11-year-old sister, Amazon vouchers. Much easier although I usually do get them just a little something to open as well.

Phoebes Sun 20-Nov-16 13:52:41

GS is four on December 12th so we pack all the gifts for him and his little sister (nearly 2) Christmas and birthday, in one box and send them together as they live in Denmark. We wrap them in birthday paper and Christmas paper so that their Mum and Dad know which is which and save the Christmas ones for Christmas, but I always put in a little gift for the little girl to open on her brother's birthday so she doesn't feel left out. I always send them something to wear plus a toy, usually a dinosaur or a noisy fire engine or something similarfor GS. This year it's a noisy dinosaur that also lights up and a cuddly dolly for his little sister.

Dandibelle Sun 20-Nov-16 11:20:48

Once they reach about 10 mine like the money

annodomini Sun 20-Nov-16 09:38:10

After I'd posted about this, I got a text from DS1, suggesting an X Box game for GS and a book for GD. So I ordered these right away. They will still have their microfibre towels! Their parents really are the ones who know what their children will like.

Grannyben Sun 20-Nov-16 09:29:34

My dgs is just 2 and although his mummy is telling him about Santa it really is just another name. We all know he doesn't really need anything (like most people, we get him things throughout the year) so his mummy has asked me to get him some new clothes as he is starting nursery in January. His great grandma gave money towards his new bed as he is now vacating the cotbed

Auntieflo Sun 20-Nov-16 09:05:04

I have loved reading this thread, but have had to Google a lot of the names of toys, as we are really behind the times. Our grandchildren's ages range from 26 down to 2 and a half, eldest getting cash or vouchers, youngest, who knows!? Yet.

Grandmaknitter24 Sun 20-Nov-16 08:36:12

X

Grandmaknitter24 Sun 20-Nov-16 08:24:53

My DD has asked us to bring our presents for them to open on Christmas Day as her husband believes presents should only be opened on Xmas day. He was brought up by this tradition. We are visiting them on Boxing Day and I want to give our darling little grandchildren their presents so we can see the joy in them opening them, so I have said no, but they can have theirs to open if they want. Am I being selfish to want thus?

PamelaJ1 Sun 20-Nov-16 07:50:15

We don't spend much on our only grandchild. We do look after him a lot and so he gets lots of treats and days out throughout the year. I will be taking him to the panto but I have bought a millennium falcon play doh kit and a green slug (it is on his list!) for Christmas and a Lego shark that can eat mini figures for his birthday in January. I 'won' that on ebay

pooohbear2811 Sun 20-Nov-16 07:04:54

I have to say I seriously begrudge spending money on physical things because a) you cannot move in their house for "junk" and b) they get far far far to much as it is. (No I am not mean the trashing of things just annoys me) .
So this year the older 2 ( 14 and 10) are going to the panto and for something to eat. Get my tickets cheap through work so this is not as expensive as it sounds.
The twins will be three tomorrow and they are getting the brio wooden train set that the 10 year old had built up for him over the years and it was put in the loft when he outgrew it. They will not know and will love it.
The 2 under a year old are getting the items I bought for the twins when they were a year old and have barely used.
I keep the items I do buy for them here for them to play with when they visit.
They are each getting a charity shop game that I bought.
I am also making items from hama beads with their names on, the hama beads belong to the older two but they never use them anymore.
Finally the twins are also getting a cross stitch blanket made with toy story characters for one and angel/fairy/animals for the other. This is being done again on the cheap with cross stitch kits I have picked up over the years from charity shops and bits of threads left from previous kits. I am upcycling 2 fleece blankets that I have and will attach the characters to the blankets.
So not costing me much, I reckon including the meal and the panto I have change out of £50 for the 6 of them. but will look loads.

Daisyboots Sun 20-Nov-16 01:45:53

As I dont live in England all my grandchildren under 18 (and there are a lot) will be getting £20 each paid either into their own account if they have or their parent's account. I am also including my late brother's two grandchildren in this. I do the same for their birthday. They already have so much snd will be getting even more that I find that to be the best solution.

gillybob Sun 20-Nov-16 00:07:45

My DGS is also having a match day experience Theglovers1 (not purchased but won as the top goal scorer in his under 7's league ) . His team is Sunderland confused goodness knows why? When we are all Newcastle supporters

He will be mascot in one of their biggest (ticket) games of the season. I am so proud but a tiny bit sad that I won't see him. Ordinary Tickets are sold out and the only ones left available are priced (pardon the pun) out of my league !

Flowerofthewest Sat 19-Nov-16 22:38:33

I usually have a £20 limit but do go above. With 12 grandchildren it would become silly. I also buy gifts for our 6 children and their partners. We don't have a lot of spare cash but we don't go into debt either ..

Corncob Sat 19-Nov-16 20:49:51

My DIL buys the for the two girls and I give them her the money and she does the same for my son as knows what they would like.She has asked for a boots voucher for herself. I have bought Thomas the tank Engine for my other sons little one and more Boots vouchers for him and his partner.Still have friends to buy for.Bank balance not looking good.Oh to win the lotto.

Blinko Sat 19-Nov-16 20:19:56

Thanks amabazza for the info re Polar Express. Were taking ours this year, so I hope its as good as your experience last year.