Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do I contact Social Services?

(10 Posts)
NudeJude Sun 05-Feb-17 16:45:16

I'm extremely worried about my daughter, who left her husband 18 months ago. Most of her problems she's brought on herself by moving a new man in before she'd barely moved out of the family home. She has 3 daughters but due to her selfishness in bringing this new man into their lives so soon, she has already lost 2 out of 3 of her daughters to live with their Dad, and we've now discovered that as well as drinking to excess, she's now developed a cocaine habit, which absolutely terrifies me! I only know about the drugs because her best friend didn't know where to turn (we live 200 miles away), and eventually contacted me because she is so worried about my daughter. She also contacted Social Services with proof of my daughter's habit, but so far they haven't done anything about moving the remaining granddaughter out of her house, which I think they should do because she is allowed to behave exactly as she wishes and at 14 is encouraged to smoke and drink alcohol. My granddaughter had what they call a 'gathering' these days (for those of you who don't know the expression, it's a party but without a reason) on Friday night, and I'm now concerned that having been irresponsible enough to get herself involved in drugs in her late 30's, that she and the new man may well either encourage or turn a blind eye to drugs with the kids who are visiting the house. Unfortunately, I can't do anything really, not only because of the distance, but because my daughter has all but cut us off, due to our expressing our concerns as to the fact that we believe this new man is manipulating her. However, what I really want to know from you other grans (& grandads) is should I contact Social Services as a concerned grandparent to express my concerns?

Ana Sun 05-Feb-17 16:51:47

Couldn't you simply have added to the thread you started only a few days ago? I have no experience of what you're going through but I'm sure others will continue to give good advice.

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1233887-Advice-Needed-about-Daughter-on-Drugs

NudeJude Sun 05-Feb-17 17:05:54

Ooops! I didn't think the thread I tried to post the other day had worked. If anyone wants to comment please click on the link 'Ana' posted. Meanwhile, thanks Ana for pointing it out, much appreciated.

rosesarered Sun 05-Feb-17 20:49:09

There are retired social workers on Gransnet who will probably comment Jude but just as a Grandparent , with this situation, I don't know what I would do.Does the younger DGD not want to live with her Father? Moving a man into the house with a 14 year old around isn't great, and so soon after the break up as well.If your own DD is taking drugs, it is a real danger to the girl, and alcohol as well.
You must be so worried, about your own DD as well as DGD, what a sad situation.

vampirequeen Sun 05-Feb-17 21:21:23

Does the girl's dad know? Does he have access?

Ana Sun 05-Feb-17 21:29:37

NudeJude has replied on the other thread.

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-17 09:04:56

Hello there NudeJude
What a worry. I agree that school and social work services need to be informed. I wonder whether your daughter's former partner has/would do that? His 14 year old daughter will need support but I believe it's unlikely she could be forced to go and live with dad against her wishes. She's probably worried about her mother, as well as 'enjoying' the kind of freedom from essential boundaries.
I'm not minimising your worries, or those expressed by others here. The sad truth is that increasing numbers of children are growing up with parents who are dependent on drugs and alcohol. Agencies do their best but at a time of increasing need - shrinking resources it isn't easy. Is your granddaughter's school attendance acceptable. If it drops below 80% that is known officially/legally as a 'cause for concern'.
I do hope that post the recent child sexual exploitation enquiries, less police/social workers would conclude that your granddaughter is making what they called life style choices in staying with her mum. The mother is the one making poor lifestyle choices, her 14 year old probably feels everyone is picking on her mum.
It needs outside help and I hope your grandchildren's father involves the right agencies. The police family support teams are often excellent in these circs and its likely the new partner is already known to them.

Ziggy62 Mon 06-Feb-17 11:36:09

Sadly I am in a similar situation. I contacted social services and I know they were already aware of the problems. A social worker eventually called me back and more or less told me I was just trying to cause trouble because I don't have a good relationship with my daughter in law. I also contacted the police with regard to a family member offering drugs to my niece at a family party but no action was taken. Difficult situation and yes, I think you should contact social services but don't be surprised if they don't react as expected

Iam64 Mon 06-Feb-17 14:21:23

Ziggy62, I'm sorry you felt brushed off and criticised. You won't be alone in that. Sadly, social work teams do get a fair number of malicious reports when families or couples fall out. This can mean they are inclined to respond in the way you experienced. I expect the police made a note on their 'intelligence' file but again, it's so difficult for law abiding family members to accept that drug use is as prevalent as it is.

nannynoo Sun 23-Apr-17 23:32:29

I am finding unless it is a CRISIS situation social services do not have the resources to step in and remove the child , they would probably try and get her Dad to work with her and monitor the situation but that is better than nothing

I did not realise how serious things have to be until social services take action but like Iam64 said there is a huge prevalence of drug and alcohol use and the child has to be at risk of immediate or significant harm for them to even legally be able to take action ( or that is my understanding of it but I get confused as well! LOL ) x