Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Timeshare with the other grandparents

(29 Posts)
aquafish Sun 12-Feb-17 23:06:24

We've just spent a lovely weekend with all four grandparents looking after 18 month old GD while my DD and SIL have a weekend away. Perfect in all but one thing, I am left feeling very envious of the close relationship the other grandparents have with my DGD. To put it into context, the others GPs are European living abroad yet get regular quality contact as SIL chooses to visit very frequently for at least 1 week at a time. Our visits are less frequent and only brief. Everyone gets on very well, my relationship with DD is very close but she seems to have to spend most of her free time in Europe. DGD was very clingy to the other GP and left me wondering how I can develop that sort of bond as we love her dearly. It isn't jealousy exactly,perhaps envy that they have had chance to become so close despite living abroad. How can I develop a close bond with my DGD in these early years of her life?

cornergran Sat 18-Feb-17 06:30:58

Same here, one set spend a week at a time with their other grandparent, now they are at school she visits often and does the daily routine. We babysit (tend to get tired and ratty children!) and do some school pickups which are 'our time' and occasional school holiday days which are fun. Their weekends are packed so we rarely see children or adults then. Rarely have a day out together whereas the other family do as their week or weekend is viewed as a holiday It was difficult early days but now the children are older a relationship has formed and it feels fine, they love us all but expect different things with different people. . The other situation is very different, daughter in law's extended family do all the regular childcare to support their work patterns, so the attachment is strong. We visit regularly for a few hours and do some stand in childcare but when we are all together it's obvious where the stronger attachment lies. It's understandable. The little one is safe and well cared for, can't ask for more and you know, we really couldn't provide regular child care, too exhausting. The other family is much younger than we are! Perhaps helps to think that when there is a difference in instinctive relationship it is just that, different, not better or worse.

aquafish Wed 22-Feb-17 08:35:40

A BIG Thank you to all the kind posters on this subject - I have some happy news to report that I've been asked to have DGD for 3 days in March to help DD with work commitments. Needless to say I'm thrilled and see this is a way forward to a bright and happy future with my beautiful GD!

Alibaba19 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:47:30

My daughters baby age 16 months lives with her paternal grandparents as a special ial guardianship order was granted.
I am heartbroken as I have no contact with my beautiful grand daughter despite asking the grandparents permission several times. There has been a family breakdown and I have said some things out of order due to my sheer frustration and heartbreak at being excluded from her life. I am not in contact with my daughter or her boyfriend as they are both drug addicts which almost destroys me. I just want to see my grand daughter and for her to know me as a person who will cherish and love her dearly.
How can I go about this ,as my life is not worth living at present.