Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

I'm upset too over split

(29 Posts)
Saralice Sun 19-Feb-17 18:59:08

I have been so upset this weekend but why should I be? My eighteen year old granddaughter and her boyfriend of four years have split up. She is heartbroken,her mum is upset and so am I.He is a lovely lad and we will miss him too.
Is this abnormal for me, her nana to be upset as well. My husband just says 'She'll get over it'.Sometimes I wish I was a man.

SparklyGrandma Wed 22-Feb-17 01:25:18

My parents met when she was 14 and he was 16, many years later they are still together....married 59 years...

joannewton46 Sat 25-Feb-17 03:33:11

We have friends who have been together since they were 15, now in their 70s BUT I don't think this is usual, especially not these days when horizons are much wider. If you like the lad, there's no reason you can't stay in touch.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Feb-17 05:20:28

Well I think you are obviously soft hearted and no there's nothing wrong with feeling sad for her but your husband is totally right she ll get over it, it's all part of growing up She was 14 when she got with this chap she's not experienced anything else she needs to spread her wings and start living for herself

Is she the only grandchild?

Most of the long term 15,16 year old partnerships quoted above are like my parents who spent 70 years together after meeting at 16 and 18 they belong to a totally different era where expectations were to find a husband and stick at it come what may Today is very very different with all the movement and opportunities and I hope my grandkids will all spread their wings and experience many people and things before settling down

My eldest granddaughter was exactly like yours had a lovely chap from 15 lived in his pocket but when she went to Uni she started seeing life and ended it, she's now doing what she should have been doing at 15. It all felt positive to us