Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Secondary School places allocated today [sad]

(256 Posts)
gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 10:42:34

My DGD has been offered a secondary school place at a school nowhere near home. There is a large school very nearby (they can see it from their window) but she could not get into one of the feeders and as the eldest child there is no sibling link, so automatically cannot get into the secondary school. The LEA (in their wisdom) have offered her a place at a school miles and miles away (at least 2 buses) and my poor DGD is so upset she didn't want to go to school today at all. I have spoken to the LEA and they have suggested going to appeal (again) and whilst I feel that the appeal process is rigged I am not sure what else we can do?

rosesarered Wed 01-Mar-17 13:22:58

What a shame gillybob but you have all done as much as you can at least.
When starting my new school at aged 11 I had to do a fair bit of walking and catch two buses, so I know what a pain that is, especially in Winter.
Will your DD sometimes be able to drive her to school?

Riverwalk Wed 01-Mar-17 13:36:41

gilly do you know anything about the far off school ..... could it be worth that long journey?

When I was temporarily living in the far reaches of north London I was surprised to see a number of 11-year old girls on the bus for the hour long journey to The Grey Coat Hospital School in central London (state comprehensive) where the likes of David Cameron & Michael Gove send their daughters.

If the designated school is no good, then maybe you'll have to consider home-schooling; many parents do and not all are graduates, teachers, etc., and it doesn't have to follow 9 - 3 schedule. Better than a long journey to a crap school.

Rigby46 Wed 01-Mar-17 14:10:51

-River I think that's excellent advice. As for trying to get the decision chsnged without going through the appeal process, I can't see how it would work and nor should it. There will be other children in the same position and the idea of a proper formal appeal is to make sure that the system is fair to all the children. There is lots of good avice out there about appealing and IMO that's where it's best to put ones energy.

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 14:24:45

Its a bad school Riverwalk so definitely not worth the journey/effort. DDiL adamant she is not going there so don't honestly know what we can do? We all work full time.

DDiL works shifts and can only do a weeks school run every 4th week. She can't however be at the primary with the 2 younger children at the same time as dropping the older child at a secondary school miles away. The other 3 weeks are divided between me and DDiL's mum and nana (who does it by bus bless her heart).

Have spoken with MP's secretary who I have met during primary school appeals. He tells me that there is little the MP can do (I already knew that) and if the school is full it is full. My point is that there are children who have got places that live miles away and DGD lives a few yards away and can't get in.

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 14:26:41

Will def go down the appeal route but from experience (one of the worst in my life) I think the decision is cut and dry before you enter into appeal and unless you have medical grounds you have little chance of winning.

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 14:38:02

Because they chose for the child to go to a primary school elsewhere? So the LEA think, well why not the secondary too?

You are VERY wrong Ankers my DGC could not get into a feeder school. We have already gone through the appeals process and lost.

The LEA do not give a stuff and consider that they have fulfilled their duty by offering her a school.

Welshwife Wed 01-Mar-17 14:50:57

I think the bus man us the best bet! Try him again to see if he will ring them for you and tell them if his concern - I would also try the local police about the waiting.

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 14:57:57

He said that we could quote him and his name at an appeal welshwife Not that I am hopeful about the appeals process. Been there before.

Welshwife Wed 01-Mar-17 15:44:43

This time though you have the fact that she will be the only one doing that journey and the waiting for the bus etc etc - make a big thing of that - and who is going to take the responsibility for her. I shall be sending good vibes when you go to any other hearing - I read all about it before and just hoped you were looking on the black side and that they would not be so obtuse. If I was living near you I would come and lobby with you - I would have been really uptight had it been my DGD. She was able to go to the school because her brother was there - same sort of rules as you are talking but so stupid - her school did have a good number of places for local children.

BBbevan Wed 01-Mar-17 16:27:33

We too are waiting as GD1 hears after 5 o'clock today. She lives just 50yds outside the catchment area for the preferred school, but does go to the primary next door to it. Fingers crossed.

Hope you get a successful outcome if you appeal gillybob

Ankers Wed 01-Mar-17 16:37:54

So nowadays, you dont get offered places at the nearest primaries in the first instance, and it is all much more random?

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 16:52:01

Grounds for getting into a school in our area as follows Ankers ;

Sibling link (brother or sister at school already)
Feeder primary (over subscribed so can't get in)
Looked after children (children in the care system)
Distance from home to school.

annemac101 Wed 01-Mar-17 16:52:36

I'm so sorry for your GD, as if it's not scary enough going to a new school, but two buses away,that is ridiculous. I heard of a parent near me who was refused his daughter into the local primary school. It has a good name and people are desperate for their children to attend. There was some sort of clause that says that if there are empty classrooms or any kind of rooms and a waiting list to get into the school then school have to employ a teacher and open classroom for the waiting list. This parent found out there was indeed an empty classroom and all children on waiting list got a place in the school.

Ankers Wed 01-Mar-17 17:00:43

If all feeder primaries were oversubscribed, then how awful, and bad luck.

If the suggestions upthread dont work, then media may become the next step.
[If I remember correctly a fairly large group of us parents involved the media before we all went to Appeal].
In our case what happened was, the ones with siblings already there, got let in, the rest still didnt.
[Our circumstances and criteria back then[15 years ago] may have been different to yours].

annodomini Wed 01-Mar-17 17:10:57

gillybob, I am disgusted that the allocation of secondary places has done your GD such a disservice. Appeals panels do sometimes have a heart - I used to sit on one for several years and we did allow some appeals - if only for a minority. But your GD has a good case, considering that standing alone at the bus stop for that length of time could put her in danger. The Local Authority is - I think - responsible for her during this time.

Greyduster Wed 01-Mar-17 17:18:50

DD and SiL may face the same problem turned on its head. He is at one of the feeder primaries for what is generally agreed to be the best school in the city and they are in the catchment area, though the school is some distance away. He is due to go up in 2018. The council have now decided to build a new secondary school a short walk away from their house, and there are a lot of very unhappy parents at the moment who are worried about a school that will be completely an unknown quantity. The existing school had agreed to sponsor and have oversee the new school and that did placate many. However, they have now pulled their sponsorship on the grounds that it would present an unacceptable financial risk to them. Several sets of parents in GS's year, and the year above, have now opted to send their children to one of the three private schools in the area, which is fine if you can afford it. So at the moment, we have a "suck it and see" situation. Most of the parents involved are hoping that the school will not be operational in time for the September 2018 intake. (There are issues with the site that the council seem to be turning a blind eye to). Selfish? Maybe, but we all want the best for our children and grandchildren, don't we? I wish you the best with any appeal, gilly.

nanaK54 Wed 01-Mar-17 17:26:16

No advice to give but just wanted to add my good wishes to you and your family

harrigran Wed 01-Mar-17 17:42:21

I am upset for you gilly following after the earlier appeal. I would do anything and everything to get my point across to the LEA and the gentleman you spoke to seems a likely spokesman.
When it was time for me to go to secondary school I was allocated a school that none of my classmates or friends attended, my mother made such a fuss I got to the school of choice. I think my mother went to the LEA and local member of parliament and she had the local rag on speed dial ( I'm joking, it was pre-mobile days )
Our GD has a place at an independent school because the alternative for her is unthinkable.
gilly flowers

Jalima Wed 01-Mar-17 17:59:37

I just typed a post and lost it so this will have to be brief as I'm going out.

I am so sorry to hear this gillybob and can understand how upset you must all be. It seems ridiculous that a child cannot be offered a place at the nearest school especially when it is on the doorstep. Whatever happened to catchment areas?

You may wish to go through the appeal process again - but if it comes to the worst then the LA should offer transport to the school.

Jobsworths, jobsworths, this country seems full of them

Ankers Wed 01-Mar-17 18:00:12

In my opinion, in addition to points raised above, you would need to look at the Appeals process with a fine toothcomb. Could a legal person take a look at it, and see if there are loopholes in it you have not thought of?

gillybob Wed 01-Mar-17 18:25:18

Thank you everyone again for your kind concern and helpful advice too.

Granddaughter very upset tonight. In fact I would go so far to say she is distraught. She is saying she will not go to the allocated school, no matter what and is terrified of getting two buses there and back all on her own (I don't blame her) the trouble is there is nothing of comfort I can say to make her feel better or more hopeful.

So very sad for her. I wish the LEA could see what they are doing, ruining a lovely little girls life. Would they care? I'm not sure, they are just statistics to them after all.

mumofmadboys Wed 01-Mar-17 18:52:45

Could she be said to be shy or nervous Gilly? Or lacking in confidence or prone to getting very cold at a bus stop? Anything you could ask a GP to support on medical grounds?

Ankers Wed 01-Mar-17 18:54:35

Is there a sort of compromise school somewhere that she could get into?

Norah Wed 01-Mar-17 18:55:39

First, I am so sorry. Such a terrible problem with no understandable reason.

Would it be possible to have a Dr write a note about her anxiety and mental stress (to include in the appeal)? She is "normal" as you noted, but surely this much distress could be cause for MH concern? Getting out ahead of MH issues?

Ankers Wed 01-Mar-17 18:57:28

In our experience, our GP was super helpful, wrote a supporting letter, and the LEA did not even begin to dispute the GP letter because the LEA recognise that they themselves are not medical.