Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Son

(58 Posts)
TrishaJ Fri 31-Mar-17 19:21:35

My son as fallen out with me because I have moved away to retire to Devon he as said some really hurtful things to me and as also called my husband not his father who I have been with for 25years we always got on so well we have baby sat for years been away together all things family's do,he as now told me it was all a frase and never like my husband and I been a terrible mother.I am missing my son and my grandchildren.Why after all these years as this come about I can,t bring myself to contact him as I may get more verbal abuse.

hondagirl Fri 07-Apr-17 08:46:58

Yes, it's difficult isn't it? It might be your son is feeling you have abandoned the family and thus removed support when they have been used to having you around. Children sometimes find it difficult to get their heads round the fact that their parents want a life of their own and should have the freedom to enjoy their retirement as they see fint.

I think a clear and frank discussion needs to take place. Ask your son what he would do if a fantastic job came along in another part of the country or even abroad, if it was an offer too good to turn down? Would he say no just to be near his parents? Lots of offspring seem to think that it's ok for them to follow their dreams but don't allow their parents the same freedom.

They may not understand that the decision to move away is not taken lightly as you say you miss your grandchildren.

MawBroon Thu 06-Apr-17 10:40:56

Perhaps some more information from TrishaJ would help us not to "get it all wrong"? It is hard when there is very little to go on, but I appreciate it might be upsetting for you.
Perhaps this resentment has been brewing for a while or perhaps it was a spontaneous outburst. Hard to know with so few details.

Norah Thu 06-Apr-17 09:01:01

Penstemmon, You have made my point, Thank you.

Penstemmon Wed 05-Apr-17 20:37:51

I was careful to say that the 'other side' might be unreasonable! But unless you know where the other side is coming from you cannot move forward.

Madgran77 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:36:08

MOnica I agree , it does not always take two to cause and argument! Sometimes it takes one to respond unreasonably, without discussion or a willingness to listen or hear .....a cause of much unhappiness for themselves and others!

M0nica Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:51

I disagree with the suggestion that it takes two to cause a rift. I can think of several cases where rifts have taken place between people where one person quietly living their life has suddenly had somebody take against them, for no discernable reason.

To give a ridiculous but believable situation. Two houses, Two householders and one goes out and buys a 4X4 not knowing that their neighbour has an unreasonable dislike of such cars and launches a campaign of harrassment and vandalism against the neighbour who has bought one. To suggest that the car buying neighbour was in any way responsible for the problems because he bought a car a neighbour didn't like is ridiculous.

I had a work colleague harassed by a neighbour who had lived next to her for 50 years for a similar type of reason. The campaign lasted 7 years before she finally ended it with a court case.

TrishaJ Wed 05-Apr-17 18:55:37

You have got it wrong Norah

nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 18:53:19

Norah, I'm still waiting to hear how come all 4 our your SILS cut their mothers off. Of course you say this has nothing to do with you.
But you're quick to point the finger in someone else's camp.

TrishaJ Wed 05-Apr-17 18:48:46

You have it all wrong Norah

Penstemmon Wed 05-Apr-17 18:45:20

Whilst I agree OP is totally entitled to live where she pleases and son is not entitled to abuse her she has expressed upset that her son is unhappy and she is unhappy. Letting him 'stew' is not going to resolve the issue!

If the move came out of the blue and has caused son's family various difficulties e.g. with childcare (unlikely due to ages) then I can understand his anger/frustration.

If however he is angry because he feels his step dad is coming between him and his mum (despite OP feeling they all had a good relationship) there is a conversation to be had. Was the property sold / given up for the relocation his family home with memories of his dad? Is there a financial issue here that is underlying the situation? Does he feel he is 'losing' some inheritance because of the move? Does he see the OPs husband as manipulating the move etc etc. Too many questions/answers unknown to say 'let him stew' or 'grow up'
We only have one side of this disagreement and there are always two. Even if the other side is unreasonable it needs addressing not ignoring!

Craicon Wed 05-Apr-17 18:16:40

OP, sorry your son's being a selfish bugger. Probably best to leave him for now and give him time to stew/grow up.

Norah, the OP's son is an adult so he's 100% solely responsible for being a dickhead. OP has nothing to be remorseful for.

Penstemmon Wed 05-Apr-17 17:57:50

I am with Norah it takes two to cause an argument / rift even if it is unintentional on the part of either person involved.

If you really want to resolve a situation you have to reflect honestly on you own actions/words and put yourself in the place of the person who the disagreement is with. You may still feel your position is the right one and the other has acted wrongly but you have to think that you might be wrong...nobody is perfect!

Norah Wed 05-Apr-17 16:44:08

I admit I didn't attend the "you are perfect, you did nothing wrong, give this not another thought, there, there, there there" school of advice. Whatever works for you and your happiness, you should promote nina1959. I happen to believe totally different to you. Someone must be reasonable grin

nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:44:04

Don't give up the day job Norah. You're methods of giving advice are seriously off the scale.

TrishaJ Wed 05-Apr-17 15:35:04

Age 24 17,and 12

Norah Wed 05-Apr-17 14:07:34

It sounds as if your son needs space, it may be you're not reflecting to your part in the problem.

It doesn't seem like moving to Devon could be the entire issue.

Perhaps your son dislikes dh and you have ignored that bit for too long?

Maybe you marrying this dh was hard to your son?

I imagine you will get more verbal abuse if you contact him in the attitude he is wrong and you are right. Some self examination of your deeds and motives may be in order.

Madgran77 Wed 05-Apr-17 14:03:28

Nina1959 good post!

nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 12:21:24

It's called emotional blackmail and sadly it's your turn to grow up. What I mean is not giving away your happiness or bowing down to your son's tantrum.
You deserve your life. You haven't left the country, only moved South.
He is dredging up every last anger moment and dislike to wound you and make you suffer because you've Heaven forbid, gone against his wishes.
His angry child is going to make you pay, etc, etc.

He will soften and mature one day. For now though, don't let it spoil things. Just tell him you love him and you're sorry if he's upset but you've made the move and you all have to just carry on with your own choices. Above all, stand firm. He can't dictate your life choices just like can't dictate his.

icanhandthemback Tue 04-Apr-17 21:36:35

Perhaps you could reflect on your son's friendships/relationships with other people in the past and see if abandonment was an issue with them. As somebody else says, you moving away may have opened up issues about your divorce that he has never needed to address before. Whilst these are his problems and you shouldn't be a verbal punch bag, it is obviously something that really hurts him so if you want to regain a relationship, you are going to need to listen to how he feels and respond to that. It doesn't mean you have to apologise for every little thing he brings up that damns you as a parent but it does mean that you have to accept he feels that way. Just a "Sorry, I didn't realise you felt like that," rather than refuting his feelings may go some way to making him feel like you are talking on board what he is saying.
He may also feel like you are "abandoning" his children which will go very deep. Was it your husband who wanted to move? His resentment towards your husband may be because he sees him as "taking you away." I would ask him if he felt that you were a terrible mother before you started talking about moving. Perhaps you could ask him to write down his feelings using honesty but without trying to be hurtful so you can try to get to grips with why he feels the way he does. Also, he needs to tell you what he needs for you to put things right. His answer may well surprise you. Perhaps if he can do that, you can reflect on what he has said and you can put things on paper from your perspective.
If you are close enough, perhaps you could find a relationship counsellor so you could both explore your feelings. No matter how good a parent you think you have been, kids always have grievances and it can be quite hard to hear them.

Penstemmon Tue 04-Apr-17 17:50:59

TrishaJ I am sorry this rift has occurred but for any 'advice' to be helpful it is useful to know if
-you were still providing regular childcare that the family relied on for work
-you saw each other, as a happy family, regularly for outings/ meals together etc.
-how involved your DS and family were in discussions/arrangements re your relocation
Depending on the answers to the above questions my response might range from: "you were thoughtless and foolish" to "your son is selfish and immature!"

Nelliemaggs Tue 04-Apr-17 09:08:41

I know a few families where the older members have moved deep into the West Country. My first thought when I read Trisha's post was that a caring son would find that worrying if he is looking to the future. Many older people eventually need help/frequent visiting/hospital stays and so on and, in addition to feeling that he is losing his mother, that may be a factor. Having had to spend many years juggling long distance care for my mother with working and keeping an eye on theee teenagers I know only too well how difficult that is.
Cutting himself off from his mum does sound also as though some deep hurt has surfaced and that may be difficult to fathom. I wouldn't assume that it is no more than resenting the removal of childcare.
He needs to realise that you brought him up doing what was right for you both at the time and that his angry messages need clarification or they are deeply unfair.
I do hope that he will come to terms with your right to spend your life in a place that makes you happy.
Good luck and patience.

Desdemona Mon 03-Apr-17 19:41:05

The "root of the problem" is probably that he feels abandoned. There are psychological issues as to why this is, as MOnica said. These need to be examined.

Madgran77 Mon 03-Apr-17 18:02:32

My beans are chilled! Or at least my wine is! wine But it never was unchilled! However I stand by my apology and my comments to the OP who deserves constructive advice.

Lostmyglassesxx Mon 03-Apr-17 17:44:22

Ladies or some of you !

Chill your beans !

Madgran77 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:53:59

Monica Exactly!