Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Just need to share!

(55 Posts)
Longdistancegrnny Mon 10-Jul-17 13:10:55

We arrived in Australia 36 hours ago, and DD1 was booked in to have her twins by C section on Thursday, it was moved to today a couple of days ago, for hospital convenience rather than theirs, ok so far. Then an hour before they were due to set off for hospital it was cancelled and they were told that due to lack of special care beds they would have to wait til Wednesday; however DD was a bit concerned that there was a lot less movement going on, so we all went in to get it checked....this was at 11am, we were expecting to have a quick check and then out to lunch! Thank goodness little DGD (3) was in daycare today, as by 2pm the hospital decided there were concerns, and they would after all do C section today, but if the babies needed any special care they would have to be taken by ambulance to nearest hospital with spare special care costs, an hour away, so poor DD in tears. DH and I drove back to theirs to get their bags etc, then back to hospital with them, DD being monitored by this time. Then we went to pick up DGD , fed her and put her to bed, such a dear little soul was as good as gold. Still no news, then video call from DD to say they are still concerned about one twin, but due to theatres being busy no C section possible tonight - but will keep her in and monitored.....luckily DSiL able to stay with her. So worrying, if they are concerned why don't they just get on with it? Jet lag catching up with us but can't imagine we shall get much sleep tonight. I know there is nothing anyone can do, but just needed to share, please keep your fingers crossed for the little twins.

NonnaW Mon 10-Jul-17 13:14:32

Fingers tightly crossed. Good luck.

gillybob Mon 10-Jul-17 13:30:09

Oh please keep us posted LDG .

These things often seem to drag on and on don't they? I can imagine that you are all very anxious. Being in hospital, your DD is in the right place and at the very least they will be constantly monitoring her and the babies.

I have everything crossed for the safe delivery of your twin grandchildren. smile

hulahoop Mon 10-Jul-17 13:30:09

Fingers crossed for good outcome so it's not just here that operations cancelled for lack of special care beds . Best wishes to you all .

Auntieflo Mon 10-Jul-17 13:56:14

LDG, I wish you the best and also to your DD1. One of our granddaughters is to have her baby today, by section, so I can understand your anxiety. Keeping everything crossed for you all.

Teetime Mon 10-Jul-17 14:19:38

Thinking about you and hoping all goes well - let us know if you can xx

kezia Mon 10-Jul-17 14:42:58

Keeping everything crossed x

Greenfinch Mon 10-Jul-17 15:10:12

You must be exhausted but what a good job you are with them to help. Hope all goes well.

Jane10 Mon 10-Jul-17 16:10:31

Best of luck to all. Please let us know how things go.

Smileless2012 Mon 10-Jul-17 16:56:24

Keeping everything crossed for you allflowers.

Coolgran65 Mon 10-Jul-17 16:59:40

flowers

shysal Mon 10-Jul-17 17:20:05

Thinking of you all.flowers

Deedaa Mon 10-Jul-17 20:37:27

I do hope it all goes well. What a blessing that you are there with them. flowers

nanaK54 Mon 10-Jul-17 20:50:48

All good wishes from me too

Swanny Mon 10-Jul-17 21:00:06

Longdistancegrnny I suppose it's tomorrow morning with you by now so I sincerely hope everything's gone well overnight. So aggravating when you personally can't do anything to help other than look after DGD - such a good job you are too as DSIL must be very concerned about his wife and twins. My love to you all x

callgirl1 Mon 10-Jul-17 21:26:45

Everything possible crossed here too.

GrandmaKT Mon 10-Jul-17 23:03:30

Thinking of you all, must be so nerve wracking flowers

Longdistancegrnny Tue 11-Jul-17 04:11:30

Thanks so much for all your good wishes and kind thoughts, I have never started a thread before, but I am glad I did.
Thank goodness a great outcome - a boy and a girl were born safe and sound this morning about 9.30 Australian time, both around the 6lb mark, sadly for DD she had to have full anaesthetic so did not see them immediately. We are taking DGD to the hospital this afternoon to meet them and hopefully find out their names!
Auntiflo - how did your DGD get on, all safe and sound I hope?
??????

Jane10 Tue 11-Jul-17 06:59:34

Wonderful news. I found myself worrying about them since I read the first post. Congratulations to your newly extended family. Hope the poor new mum gets back to (new) normal soon!

Auntieflo Tue 11-Jul-17 08:36:01

Thank you LDG, GGS arrived safely sometime around lunchtime on Monday. He weighed in at 9.13ozs, and by caesarean. Our GD is tired, and lost a lot of blood, but is being well looked after. The baby has a name (or three), but I am sworn to secrecy at the moment. Just let's say it's biblical. So glad to hear that all went well for your daughter and the twins. Enjoy them , and your other GD while you are there. flowers and wine for you too.

radicalnan Tue 11-Jul-17 10:20:28

So pleased for you all...xx

Mary59nana Tue 11-Jul-17 10:26:43

Congratulations to you all so pleased all went so well
Enjoy your family flowers

shirleym Tue 11-Jul-17 10:34:01

Great news, many congratulations x

inishowen Tue 11-Jul-17 10:36:33

So happy for you all. I went through all this worry in May, also with a good outcome!

grannytotwins Tue 11-Jul-17 10:37:25

Congratulations. Being granny to boy/girl twins is such a joy. My poor DD had big dramas with the birth of her twins, but at least I wasn't jet lagged. You really are a super granny to have all that worry and childcare after such a long flight.