Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Dropping the nap.

(76 Posts)
teabagwoman Wed 09-Aug-17 08:04:28

My 3 year old dgd used to have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon and I thanked my lucky stars. Now she's dropped it completely with the result that she's tired and difficult all afternoon. I insist that she has a 'rest' on her bed for an hour but that does little to help. I'm hoping that you wise grannies will be able to suggest ways of keeping her occupied and calm in the afternoon. She's a very active child, so the morning is spent out and about, and she has no interest whatsoever in any type of craft activity (nursery can't get her interested either). Playing with dolls usually seems to end with them being thrown or beaten up. Needless to say I read to her and resort to DVDs but that only lasts so long. Any suggestions as to how to get through this phase would be gratefully received, I'm 71, love looking after her but am finding it a bit much at the moment.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:49:08

teabagwoman your new thread idea sounds great!

I am not bad at Playdough (but not as good as the DGDs). It's a good idea to sit with them and make animals, cakes etc with them - and best to be on hand as DGD popped some playdough 'cake' into her mouth and ate it. Then grinned.
It is non-toxic!

Hm999 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:55:47

Re Golden age reply. Skimmed milk and warm water has the effect/advantages of a bottle/sippy cup of milk but fewer calories

Hm999 Wed 09-Aug-17 18:01:19

I bought a doll's house and a farm from charity shop, and associated people and animals from shop, with the hope of quiet, imaginative play.

maddy629 Wed 09-Aug-17 19:28:30

My youngest grandson is 18 months old and has almost dropped his afternoon nap now. I find that if I put CBeebies on the TV he will sit on my lap and watch it. I talk about what is happening in the programme and he seems to like 'our time' as we call it. We don't watch TV all the afternoon but it seems to calm him down until it's time to get his big brother home from school.

phoenix Wed 09-Aug-17 19:45:15

surviving are you serious?shock

phoenix Wed 09-Aug-17 19:47:42

God knows how it came up with "surviving", I typed kircubbin

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 19:48:40

I can remember being at nursery the year before school, which started in the September after we were five in those days.
So I must have been 4-5 and every afternoon after lunch they got out little camp beds and we were supposed to have a nap. I could never sleep (although I could now!).

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 19:49:38

I was looking for surviving on the thread and thought you must be on the wrong thread phoenix

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 19:51:53

Just found the post
glutton for punishment? grin

Actually, I think the time spent with DGC when they are tiny is immeasurable. Exhausting but wonderful.

Thebeeb Wed 09-Aug-17 21:19:58

I let my little one play/play with them all day whatever they want and usually led by them but after lunch we go for short ride in car so nanny can have her proper coffee. I take a book, some paper pens and stickers and dominos which can be used for building bricks, a Road, a crocodile (and many more things that they make up) They like the change of environment and I come back having a caffeine shot and feeling more like me.

Works for me and my four little buddies which I have had all on a one to one.

damewithaname Thu 10-Aug-17 11:04:40

Absolute quiet time. No TV in the background. No music. Zero noise. Just lay down and set out some picture books. They do tend to drop the sleeping but quiet time is essential

Norah Thu 10-Aug-17 21:10:53

Jalima1108, I didn't drop naps at such early age, that is my recommendation. To me bed at 9pm is good if wake up is at 7 or 7 half. I didn't get my children up at 6 for 8:30 school, too much time, to me. Dropping nap between 4 to 5 years works well for babies starting school around 5 years.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-Aug-17 09:24:11

In the UK they may be 4 + 1 day when they start school.
It does depend on the child, of course, but going to bed by 7.30pm at the latest would seem to be the norm for many reception age children that I have known or know.

Norah Fri 11-Aug-17 12:17:28

They also may be 5, my preference is to wait.

Norah Fri 11-Aug-17 12:19:08

It is my thought and preference, as you have yours.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-Aug-17 15:09:56

That's fine.
You did say it is your recommendation - not just your preference though.

However, if they are held back a year they miss out on reception year and have to start in Year 1. It's a dilemma, I know, when they seem so young but reception involves a lot of play.
And no naps.

Cherrytree59 Sun 13-Aug-17 19:49:46

we have DGSs every day just after lunch time
2yr old and 4yr old (starting school September).
We go for a countryside drive which is more monotonous than traffic lights roundabouts etc as they love to give the back seat instructions smile.

The little one has about an hour and a half
the oldest just half an hour .
This is enough to refresh the oldest and put him in good spirits for a walk with grandad whilst gran has a quiet time until wee one wakes up.

Nursery has a story time when the children can have quiet time and take a nap.

Cherrytree59 Sun 13-Aug-17 19:58:29

DGS is only just turned 4 a couple of weeks ago (can't believe he is starting school all be it reception class!sad)

I have warned DD that he will probably be very tired and hungry when he gets home, if he is anything like his Mum.
My sister used to joke
'For goodness sake throw her a bun'!
In actual fact it was usually milk and a bunsmile

Norah Sun 13-Aug-17 23:42:44

* Jalima1108,* Spot on, I did say both. I do recommend and it is my preference. Reception year, to me, does not matter a jot if summer births, too young to me. Reception with no nap is just too hard on them.

Again, mt preference and yes, recommendation. We love naps, here.

Synonymous Mon 14-Aug-17 00:53:22

Back in the dark ages when I started school we were all expected to lie down on a small rush floor mat after lunch and listen to a short story followed by a sleep whether we were tired or not. It wasn't very comfortable but surprisingly many of us actually did drop off to sleep awakening with strange whorl impressions from the woven rushes on various parts of our anatomy! Perhaps back then we were allowed and even encouraged to be children for much longer and I don't think that was a bad thing.

Synonymous Mon 14-Aug-17 00:55:43

P.S. I didn't start school until I was 5 years old.

loopyloo Fri 18-Aug-17 15:05:53

Seems to me, they are ready for reception rising 5. My DGC seemed to have loads of energy, awake around 6 am and if allowed to sleep during the day up until late in the evening. They walk all over the place, no moaning. Depends on the child of course. My daughter does not drive so they are used to lots of walking and travelling on the underground. Perhaps city children get more exercise these days the country ones.

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Aug-17 20:36:13

Reception year, to me, does not matter a jot if summer births, too young to me.
I do agree Norah and it is a worry but, as reception year is fairly play-based and a transition between play group/nursery, I think on reflection it is better to start then than to risk missing that year at school and have to start in Year 1. It all depends on the child too, of course as loopylou says.

DGS age 2, could not sleep at all when they had nap time at nursery. I think he was the only child who could not drop off to sleep.

Doesn't take after me, I like a nap too unless I am out for the day!

Jalima1108 Fri 18-Aug-17 20:37:47

What happened to staggered intake into reception?
They all seem to start in September whether they are 4 + 1 day or 5 the day after starting.

trisher Sat 19-Aug-17 10:30:15

Staggered intake was dropped ages ago Jalima there was considerable evidence that children with late birthdays who missed much of reception year were not reaching the same levels of achievement as those who had a whole year.