Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Family holidays suggestions!

(11 Posts)
Newquay Tue 22-Aug-17 18:48:40

We go, as a family, of 8 to River Valley in St Austell in Cornwall. Lovely family site. Has a pool. V quiet site. Supermarket nearby (for delivery of order on arrival). Peak season there's a mobile BBQ-brilliant. No, I'm not on commission!

deaneke Tue 22-Aug-17 18:45:26

Thanks so much everyone, some great ideas.

Luckygirl Tue 22-Aug-17 17:56:55

There are 2 places where we do family holidays: one is Greenwood Grange in Dorset where there are a number of former farm properties on a site with a swimming pool, games room and tennis courts, s well as a children's playground with a yurt and a willow den.

And we also go to Pembrokeshire as a family to Porthllisky cottages. Former barns round a grass quadrangle, right by a lovely quiet bay with kayaks for guests' use.

M0nica Tue 22-Aug-17 17:35:44

Next year is our 50th wedding anniversary and 75th birthdays and we have just paid a deposit on a large house close to the centre of Bath for a family holiday (14 in all, age from 8 - 80).

Everything in Bath is within walking distance. Most guests are coming by train and, as the station is within walking distance, we can, if we wish, make day trips to lots of other places as well.

BBbevan Tue 22-Aug-17 14:19:03

How about renting a house in Wales? N Wales has mountains, rivers,castles, lovely scenery and some excellent seaside towns.
S Wales is less mountainous but just as beautiful again with castles.
We rented a very large house from the Bodnant Estate, last year. It was superb with breathtaking views .

JackyB Tue 22-Aug-17 14:03:47

If you're in the West Country, renting a farm house or cottage sounds ideal. The cost can be split between you, and you have somewhere dry to play Monopoly or snap when it rains.

mostlyharmless Tue 22-Aug-17 11:37:53

We have planned a family holiday for next summer for eight adults and four grandchildren. (To celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary). We wanted a swimming pool.

We started by looking at Centreparcs but were shocked by the prices and we also realised we would have to be split between two or three houses so would have no large central meeting point for eating. We then looked at alternatives to Centreparcs ( no cheaper) and holiday cottages. Really hard to find anything big enough with a pool.

Eventually we booked a chateau in the south of France (with ten bedrooms, grounds and pool) for the same price as Centreparcs!

We've never all holidayed together before so hope it goes well with no falling out!

Imperfect27 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:10:50

DH and I have just returned from a camping holiday in Dorset where we stayed on a farm with a very well organised camping and caravanning site. There is a beautiful Georgian farmhouse next door with, I think, 10 bedrooms, that could be rented. The farm shop right next door was very well stocked, including alcohol (!!!), there was a children's play area a 2 minute walk away and farm animals to see, plus access to the site burger bar, hog roast and oven fired pizza vans on different evenings, all reasonably costed. The site is a five minute walk away from a steam railway - first stop Corfe Castle (National Trust owned) - another good family visit and we were 15 - twenty minutes away from good beaches and seaside towns with the usual amusements, cafes etc. We were also given really good beach recommendations along the Jurassic coastline where families could go fossil hunting or swim in protected spaces. AND we were quite near a Swannery (fantastic day out) .
We said at the time we would love to bring the family there in years to come - all that was missing this time was a grandchild to spoil smile.
I sound like an advert don't I - PM me f you want more details smile

Lillie Tue 22-Aug-17 11:02:23

Sounds like fun! We do that every year in Devon or Cornwall. Lots of cottages which take dogs, good air and rail services, plenty to visit, pubs etc. Weather debatable! And yes, £2,000 is about right.

Teetime Tue 22-Aug-17 10:48:23

Funny we are just going about the same exercise for next year. We are searching cottages.com for a 10 person house within walking distance of a pub (1st priority) and then lots of other criteria we keep thinking up. We are opting for The Yorkshire Dales/Lake District. There are lots of filters you can apply on the website to make sure you get all your requirements. Its coming out at about £2000 for the first week in August but that's split between three families

deaneke Tue 22-Aug-17 09:56:03

Hi, next year I am hoping to go with all the family on holiday. There will be 6 adults and 2 girls under 3 plus a dog! We need some activities near by...pubs. Planning to stay in UK...as family scattered in Europe. Need to be near airports and trains....any ideas. We did think Centre parks but it is very pricey...we all like to potter but the main priority are the wee ones! Near a beach possible or nice town/ city. Thanks