Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler Fussy Eaters

(58 Posts)
Libralady Wed 23-Aug-17 01:59:46

Can anyone give advice please. My darling GD was born at 33 weeks weighing 3 lbs 6 ozs. She is 22 months old now and weighs just under 24 lbs. On the days I help with childcare, feeding her is a nightmare. She is on cows milk most of the time and shows little interest in food, so takes in very little, if anything. She feeds herself rice krispies for breakfast but apart from milk, eats very little else and this is the pattern with her mum and anyone else who sometimes looks after her. She has trouble with sore gums due to teething which is ongoing for now, but really has a poor/no appetite for anything other than milk. Any tips to encourage her would be helpful.

win Wed 23-Aug-17 22:49:39

My son was a can eater too, LOL, only wanted to eat cold baked beans straight out of the can for months and months on end up to the age of 3 years. I was advised coloured crockery and different colour cutlery for each type of food but nothing worked, so we just went with and he eventually grew out of it. However,even now at the age of 40 he has tomato ketchup on everything and loves any meal with tomato involved.

cassandra264 Thu 24-Aug-17 13:28:12

When mine were toddlers they both went through a very picky time and at one stage they refused to eat anything much at all, which was really worrying. I did however eventually manage to persuade them to eat wholemeal bread, Whole Earth or home made peanut butter, fresh sliced or mashed fruit and plain yogurt - and over a six month period this was all they had. They did not suffer from malnutrition and both are fit and healthy adults now who enjoy their food. I'm sure everything will be OK -
but if you continue to be worried, check - as Apricity has already suggested - for food intolerances; and, yes, get your GP to recommend a nutritionist.

Shazmo24 Thu 24-Aug-17 13:41:32

It may be the case that if she has lots of milk it's that which is filling her up and so she doesn't need and proper food...If her parents & you cut down on the amount of milk she's given it will then be a case she'll eat more

Libralady Thu 24-Aug-17 17:39:53

Thanks ladies. Willing to try anything.

TriciaF Thu 24-Aug-17 18:00:31

I studied child development as part of my higher education, and I remember that 2yrs+ is the age when they discover that they have a will of their own. eg the 'Terrible Twos'.
They need to use this new human trait, it's very useful, so it's no use trying to correct it. Just go along with it and give them the chance to make decisions..

Jalima1108 Thu 24-Aug-17 18:21:29

I can remember DH doing the 'Thomas the Tank Engine goes into the tunnel' to get a spoonful of food down DD. The HV said she would eat when she was ready but she didn't, she was very picky until she was in double figures+. Now a tall, slim young woman who loves her food but never over-eats.

Serkeen Fri 25-Aug-17 07:13:51

Hi LibraLady

Make food Fun,,Make smiley faces with tomatoes etc

Does not have to be a set prepared meal,,Can be just toms cucumber pieces of ham

Fruit is a good thing to give children that won't eat, grapes water melon

Also get them involved with the actual food preparation that really helps

Also lastly ask her what would SHE like to eat or maybe take her out for lunch that might make her want to eat