Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Does he have autism?

(30 Posts)
NanaSunshine01 Wed 30-Aug-17 17:23:02

I need advice! My GS has just turned 3 and I've been concerned for some time that he may have autism as he is displaying several potential characteristics of the disorder. I have kept these thoughts to myself as I don't want to needlessly alarm his parents when they are already going through a difficult period in their lives.

However the more I read the more it's evident that early intervention is crucial to ensure he has support. I know the parents have no suspicions that he may be on the spectrum. He is started nursery in a primary school in a few weeks and I don't know whether to wait for the school to identify a problem (if indeed there is one) or speak to the parents myself. Which if I'm honest I'd rather not do as I don't want to upset them in any way. What would you advise?

Nelliemoser Wed 06-Sep-17 07:54:49

The other issues about daring to recognise possible Autism or dyslexia and a few other nuerological conditions is that once a child shows signs of one of these difficulties is that this now has big implications for school budgets in terms of funding support and assessment of the effects of these difficulties. We all know how badly funded schools are at present. I am sure schools probably fend off considering the possibility of more financial pressure.

NanaSunshine01 Fri 08-Sep-17 17:51:37

Thanks for all your input. I'm hanging back for a while to observe. As people have said he could grow out of it and I don't want to cause unnecessary distress to anyone. However, I am not going to pretend the symptoms are not there either and if I feel the need to voice my concern later on I will.

All your input has been valuable and it's helped make me feel settled. It was good to voice my concern amongst such a caring and informative forum. Thank you so much.

Mamie Fri 08-Sep-17 18:18:32

NanaSunshine I kept a record of all the behaviour that concerned me (lack of eye contact, repetitive play, light and sound sensitivity, echolalia, toe walking etc) that I had observed when we saw our grandson (about once a year). I later sent this to my son and the doctors used it as part of the diagnosis.
It might just help to write your concerns down privately and keep them in case they are needed later.

nannynoo Fri 15-Sep-17 22:02:06

With my Grandson it was picked up at nursery school when he was nearly 3 tbh both myself and my daughter had no idea so it was an actual shock for us at the time but he is a fine and lovely young man now , so bright and such a joy despite some difficult behaviours etc but he picks up on and learns things so quickly and 100% definitely has his own mind! lol ( he is 10 and an absolute treasure ) xx

It will be okay smile x