Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents Day - what's the best thing about being a grandparent?

(62 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Sep-17 10:35:45

Sunday is Grandparents Day* so we thought we'd celebrate the occasion by asking you what your favourite thing about being a grandparent is? Or tell us your favourite grandparenting moment?

(*Disclaimer - it's actually the US version but more often than not it's celebrated worldwide on this day.)

MaryXYX Sun 10-Sep-17 09:22:39

I haven't heard of it. I also assumed it was a Hallmark invention in the USA.

Grannyanna12345 Sun 10-Sep-17 09:24:32

This!

Sheilasue Sun 10-Sep-17 09:31:51

We are gps and parent out our gd, so things are different in this house.
Obviously she still gets doted on but we have to be carful that she is not spoilt too much, though it's hard, think I would say we over compensate a bit.
My d who is her Aunt as well as her guardian dotes on her, she has no children and they are very close. We are her guardians too.

Trappy Sun 10-Sep-17 09:34:09

A little one shouting "Nannie", running up and flinging their arms around you! Can't beat that feeling! smile

albertina Sun 10-Sep-17 09:39:11

As a long distance Grandma, for me it's the sound of her voice on the phone. I have also kept several answering machine messages over the years and listen to them from time to time. You can actually hear her growing up.

I only have one Grandchild and will only have one. The feelings I have for her are hard to describe they are so beautiful. She fills me with happiness.

Shortlegs Sun 10-Sep-17 09:42:54

The best thing? Watching them go home!

radicalnan Sun 10-Sep-17 09:44:27

I love knowing that when I leave this life, I won't be leaving my children alone in it, they will have family to love them as much as I do.

milliespain Sun 10-Sep-17 09:46:05

Living abroad it's hearing my darling granddaughter shout when I phone "quick mama it's nan nan" she is so excited to hear me, or her grandad.

Al1gran Sun 10-Sep-17 09:49:15

You know the way little children often say "you" when they are talking about themselves? My two year old grandson came up to me and said "Grandma loves you" - wonderful, however you interpret it!

Teddy123 Sun 10-Sep-17 10:15:23

I love my GS's total delight whenever we meet and having the time to actually listen to everything he says! Magical!

SillyNanny321 Sun 10-Sep-17 10:18:08

Best thing about being a Grandparent for me is my 6 year old Grandson saying 'Goodnight Nanny, I love you so much'!

susanb Sun 10-Sep-17 10:40:34

My grandchildren are always pleased to see me, love me, and make me feel like a celebrity. How lucky am I?

Crazygran Sun 10-Sep-17 10:49:00

Sleep overs , the two of them insist on sleeping
In my bed , needless to say I don't get much sleep!
And when they say I love you Grandma for no reason. I am so lucky !!!!!!!!!!

Hm999 Sun 10-Sep-17 11:06:36

Oh yes crazygran. I agree.

Being woken up to her singing in the travel cot or (more likely) in my bed at silly oclock

railman Sun 10-Sep-17 11:10:21

Actually - and as my DW would say, unusual for me! - I quite like and agree with this idea.

The post by Grannyanna12345 set me thinking.

My GD (now at college!!) pinched my iPhone out of my pocket a year or two back, and wrote this in my 'Notes':

Hello grandad I love you xxxx

LouLou21 Sun 10-Sep-17 11:10:24

The grandchildren

GrannyMosh Sun 10-Sep-17 11:15:15

Since I moved to Germany last September to be near my only son and his family, EVERY day is Granny's Day! And from tomorrow, when I move into my brand new granny flat, four days after the birth of my second granddaughter, it will be even more so smile

icanhandthemback Sun 10-Sep-17 11:27:57

Reliving my children's childhood by seeing the similarities in their children; so much of it I had forgotten and some of it I missed because I was working so hard in order to keep a roof over our heads. My DGS is like my DS in that when he walks into the room with his big smile, it just brightens up my day.

Craicon Sun 10-Sep-17 11:29:54

It's really not another Americanism or invented by Hallmark.
In Japan 'Respect for the Aged day' is on September 18th this year.
My DIL is Japanese and we've learnt a lot about Japanese customs especially how well they treat their older family members.
Back to the thread, I enjoy talking to my young DGS via FaceTime and seeing what his current favourite toys are.

Funnygran Sun 10-Sep-17 12:00:29

Love them all for their various qualities. The oldest grandson had a long chat this week about his first week at secondary school and I felt so pleased that he wanted to tell me about it. And then the youngest one - just turned three took my hand and led me out into the garden to show me a worm. Lovely!

Craftycat Sun 10-Sep-17 12:32:36

The feeling I get when I hear little hands banging on front door- the 3 smaller ones are too little to reach the doorbell yet.
Even when they have been staying for a couple of days ( or all 6 of them for 5 days once during last school holiday) & I am exhausted I still feel really sad when they go & they don't live far away so it won't be long before I see them again. Then you come indoors to find a picture left in kitchen for you saying ' love yoo veery mush Granma xxxxx' from next to youngest as a surprise!! Cue tears.

tigger Sun 10-Sep-17 12:52:19

Sending them home when you've had enough

Marnie Sun 10-Sep-17 13:09:03

Oh to see my GC. Seen one three times and the baby once. Live fairly local but we are person a non gratis. Hate it but have learned to live with it. They don't even know who granny and grandad are. Sad oh how sad.

Jeannie59 Sun 10-Sep-17 13:29:05

As mine live in the US and OZ, it is hard enough trying to celebrating Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, Christmas without the closeness of family, so I would be quite happy to not add another day to it all.
But maybe i am being selfish.

Nelliemaggs Sun 10-Sep-17 14:36:14

Acting daft and loving their laughter. Taking me back to doing the same things with their parents, the happiest time of my life.

As for grandparents day, why do we need that? Are we no longer included in Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day?