Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents Day - what's the best thing about being a grandparent?

(61 Posts)
Day6 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:58:49

Grandparents day? Another celebration created by Hallmark, that well known purveyor of cards and expensive knick-knacks? Kerrrching go the tills.....

I am cynical. If it's an American celebration they can keep it.

Any love shown at any time by the grandchildren is enough for me. They do not have to buy me trinkets or put aside a special day to remember me.

They are in my life, some of the time. That is enough.

Norah Fri 08-Sep-17 14:53:40

I never celebrated GP day, I don't know who has that celebration.

SueDonim Fri 08-Sep-17 14:35:39

We don't celebrate Grandparents Day, though if anyone wants to spoil me with wine, chocolate and flowers, feel free. grin

This year I have loved cuddling a newborn grandchild, just hours old. I adore newborns and to hold one without being responsible for keeping it warm, dry and fed is just wonderful!

I also love how my grandchildren are so non-judgmental of me. It's wonderful how they take you as they find you. I love, too, how they shout my name and rush over for a hug. No one else is ever that pleased to see me, hahaha!

Nanny27 Fri 08-Sep-17 14:29:45

Taking lots of time to splash about in puddles or read stories making up for all the times when you had to say 'hurry up to your own children.

kittylester Fri 08-Sep-17 13:40:05

Simples - having grandchildren!

Anya Fri 08-Sep-17 13:06:56

Yes, agree Starlady that spontaneous hug!

GS1 who's just turned 11 and getting suddenly taller has started giving me a huge bearhug when we meet.

Smithy Fri 08-Sep-17 13:06:35

I've never met anyone here who celebrates grandparents day.
There are so many good things about being a grandparent. My favourite is when they say ''but I don't want to go home yet I want to stay longer''

Starlady Fri 08-Sep-17 12:43:40

Those warm, loving greetings when I come over, accompanied by those sweet hugs and kisses!

Not that dd/their mum doesn't greet me, too, lol! But, imo, there's nothing like the joyful greetings of little children!

Btw, according to the article featured on the Gransnet home page, gp day is Sept 10 in the U.S. this year but Oct 1 in the UK.

goldengirl Fri 08-Sep-17 12:19:34

Doing things you'd feel silly doing on your own.
AND being able to hand them back grin

lemongrove Fri 08-Sep-17 12:05:35

I don't think anyone celebrates it here Lara ( do they?) although it sounds a pleasant thing to do.
I think the nicest thing about being a grandparent is having
Time to play and talk to them, yes, we did this with our own children, but didn't have a lot of time, and it's a different relationship to being a parent anyway.Telling off is kept to a bare minimum and the theme is having fun.?
A few years ago, when we had snow, building a snowman with a little DGS in the garden was pure joy.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Sep-17 10:35:45

Sunday is Grandparents Day* so we thought we'd celebrate the occasion by asking you what your favourite thing about being a grandparent is? Or tell us your favourite grandparenting moment?

(*Disclaimer - it's actually the US version but more often than not it's celebrated worldwide on this day.)