Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Lessons learnt the hard way

(38 Posts)
schnackie Tue 12-Sep-17 12:21:00

I just really need to have a moan about this and grateful that GN forums have a place for this. Since my grandchildren were born, 5 years ago, in America, I have frequently posted small packages to my daughter with inexpensive items of clothing, toys etc. and all have arrived within a week or two. However 2 months ago, I posted a very special package with a much wanted Paw Patrol toy, other toys and a dress for my granddaughter. I also included a few small personal possessions as I am decluttering. In any event, the package never arrived and I am heartbroken. In future, every single package will be traceable and insured. (I even wondered if it was because I put some British sweeties in the package. I am well aware that Kinder Eggs are ILLEGAL in America - though you can buy your 6 year old a BB gun - but I wonder if the popping candy could have posed a problem.) Definitely a First-World problem, but I just wanted to share my sadness sad.

David1968 Wed 13-Sep-17 12:42:18

I've been sending parcels to my DS & family in USA for twenty years. I always use Royal Mail & nothing has ever gone missing. Have I simply been lucky? No Kinder eggs sent (I didn't know they are illegal in USA!) but I always fill in the customs declaration form very carefully and I seal the parcel with yards of strong parcel tape. I never, ever, send anything with any sort of battery but I have sent chocolate bars. And nothing is ever gift-wrapped as that's always likely to cause a parcel to be opened.

Nelliemaggs Wed 13-Sep-17 13:54:28

Im sorry it looks as though your parcel really has gone missing schnackie, really annoying.

I'm forever sending parcels to family in Australia and they have always arrived but taken as long as 5 weeks, especially around Christmas.

I send a lot of chocolate because I always fill the parcel up to the limit and little boxes of smarties or chocolate shapes at Christmas go in to make up the extra weight I am having to pay for anyway. It all went wrong one Christmas when the parcel must have spent time in the sun and the presents inside arrived chocolate-coated.

Hilltopgran Wed 13-Sep-17 14:11:16

Daughter and family have just relocated to US, after reading the above I think you have confirmed for me that a childrens wish list on Amazon and buy through Amazon is the way to go! DGS arrived in US just before his birthday last month and I ordered books for him online that were actually delivered on his birthday in the mailbox which was a great excitment as there was no postal system where they previously lived!,

Starlady Wed 13-Sep-17 14:31:40

How sad! I agree with you that traceable & insured is the way to go from now on.

maddyone Wed 13-Sep-17 17:16:59

gillybob, you are absolutely correct, Royal Mail is nothing short of a disgrace. We have had cards, money (mother in law used to insist on putting cash in birthday cards, despite us warning her, thankfully she doesn't now)gifts, parcels, and countless internet shopping purchases have all gone missing! Also cards and parcels opened, and stuff arriving months after it was posted! Royal Mail are not fit for purpose any longer, we use couriers now for all parcels, much better service.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Sep-17 18:48:48

I guess I must just have been lucky as you say, gillybob! My DSIL actually despairs when I stick up for Royal Mail, as he works for the opposition....

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Sep-17 18:51:26

He actually reckons Postman Pat is very true to life, ie Pat losing stuff right, left and centre, getting his head stuck in trees, forgetting to shut his van door, etc. I loved Corrie's Blanche Hunt's take on the goings on in Greendale. grin

Witzend Wed 13-Sep-17 19:03:30

I've sent so many parcels to the US - mostly for Christmas - and have never had them go astray. Sister and niece live close to Boston on the E coast, don't know whether that may make a difference.
As my niece got older I wanted to send her money, but doing it via banks took so much in charges. Many times I've sent her dollars, enclosed in a small present or inside a book. Touch wood it's always arrived intact.

Purpledaffodil Wed 13-Sep-17 20:19:53

Once sent a birthday card in a red envelope to DS when he lived in Thailand. It never arrived as apparently red envelopes signify cash contents?
Witzend have you tried Transferwise? Just sent £250 to Malaysia via them and it cost £2, and the transfers are quick too.

NanaRayna Wed 13-Sep-17 21:30:53

I send money in birthday cards. But I always put the card, and its envelope inside another, boring and unremarkable, envelope so it looks like nothing worth nicking. Always safely delivered now!

schnackie Thu 14-Sep-17 08:22:41

Thank you all again for the wonderful tips and alternatives to Royal Mail! Loved the Postman Patricia analogy grin. I have noted the services mentioned and will use them in future!

schnackie Thu 14-Sep-17 08:24:02

Ha ha autocorrect caught me out! Postman PAT