Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Mil no longer allowed to see son

(122 Posts)
VanillaSoyLatte Sun 08-Oct-17 17:34:22

Hi, I’m not a Gran, but a first time mum hoping you lovely ladies can offer some advice. I’ve chosen to post here instead of mumsnet as I’m hoping to avoid this turning into a huge anti mil thread.
I want to start by saying that love my mil dearly, she’s a good woman who obviously adores my baby, she & I have always had a good relationship.

This may be quite long so please bear with me......

I gave birth to my first child, a son 19 weeks ago. This is the first gc on both sides of the family, so as you can imagine, very much loved.
Both my own mum & mil came to visit us at the first possible opportunity, the same 1hr visiting slot when my ds was less than 10hrs old. They were both obviously very excitited, but spent the whole visit commenting things such as ‘he’s hungry’ ‘you need to change him’ ‘he probably needs to be winded’ ‘you should hold him differently’ I found this VERY overwhelming & cried when they left (I don’t blame them at all, rather my my crazy new mum hormones grin) however since then my dh has been very protective of me when it comes to both our mums being what he deems overbearing.

My dh & mil are very similar, & have butted heads several times since my ds was born. These are usually over stupid things, such as my mil removing bottles from my steriliser and rewashing them because she wanted them washing ‘the way I think they should be done’ & a really stupid argument because my mil didn’t think dh should talk about his workday (he does quite a dangerous job) in front of our sleeping 3 week old ds. They’ve also had disagreements over the fact that ds is still predominantly & when dh asked mil to bring fewer gifts.

These arguments always finished as quickly as they started, until a few weeks ago when I left my mil alone with my ds in our lounge while I tidied my kitchen. My dh walked into the room the hear my mil saying ‘you can tell nanny all the nasty thing mummy does to you. Mummy’s a naughty lady, but nanny loves you. Nanny will sort it out’. My husband was furious, and made her leave our house before I even knew what had happened. I admit that I was hurt when my dh told me what happened, I was shocked that my mil would even jokingly imply I was a bad mum. I didn’t think this was worth a family fallout, I convinced my dh to allow me to invite my mil again a few days later (he was at work). My mil apologied, & although things have been slightly tense between them since, I thought things were back on track.

Then on Friday everything went wrong. My dh had been working away, due home that day, & I had invited my mil round for coffee with me & my ds. After a cuppa & catch-up I asked mil if she would mind occupying ds while I had a shower. This not only allows her to have a little alone time with ds, but is a massive help for me too. (After my ds was born he was diagnosed with a slight health problem. He is on the mend now, but still under the care of a paediatric consultant. Partly due to this & also because he is still so young, neither me or dh are comfortable with anybody taking ds. We try to make up for this by allowing ‘alone time in our house’) DH arrived home earlier than expected, walked into the bedroom where I was getting dressed and asked where ds was. I went downstairs to find my ds, mil & pram gone. She turned up 15 minutes later, saying she needed to bond with or ds away from me so that he knew ‘she was just as important as mummy’. My husband was furious (this was made worse by the fact ds was sobbing his heart out), spoke very harshly to mil, & told her to stay away from my dh & I.
Dh has since told me that she is no longer allowed around ds until she learns to respect me as a mother & the boundaries we choose.

I’m torn, I don’t want to argue with my husband, and I’m so angry at my mil (mainly for doing something so stupid after I’d fought to get dh to forgive her in the past), but she loves my ds so much, I don’t want him to miss out on a relationship with her. I also think it was would be so sad if the relationship between my dh & mil broke down. How can I start to mend fences?
Sorry again for the length of this post, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

peaches50 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:24:36

Take counsel sweetie of those who advise space and caution even when things are back to 'normal'. Her behavior is desperately abnornal and your dh doesn't need to be disracted at work in a dangerous job by you and his little boy perhaps at risk. This is about control, if she has a husband or sister your dh needs to explain why she has been barred. You don't need to be put in this position when dealing with anxiety of firts baby and his illness. Be kind to yoursel dear big hugs and concentrate on your own lovely little family. I well remember how horrified we were whne my own sister took her grandaughter and had her first hair cut without consulting her parents. He dil still weeps two decades later, and sadly sis doesn't see what she did wrong. Set boundaries ad I'm afraid I agree I would not let dmil be alone with your precious baby.

Pearlj Wed 11-Oct-17 14:57:17

Wow! No wonder your husband is ticked,your mil has really crossed the line. Is family counseling a possibility or a neutral third party that can help you all discuss healthy boundaries an the mil learn why what she is doing is wrong. Keeping a child away from bonding and establishing a living relationship is unfair to your child but the mil has to accept and understand her behaviour first. I wonder if she is frightened of being left out since she is a paternal gran,and is acting out?

Pearlj Wed 11-Oct-17 15:02:59

Also it's not helpful to tell mil until she respects you she can't see the baby,she needs to be told specifically what things she has done that is hurtful and why it's damaging to everyone,especially her grandson. Telling a baby mummy is naughty is setting the stage to undermine you as a mother and try to manipulate her grandson. Grrrr

Norah Wed 11-Oct-17 15:03:19

As a MIL, GM, mum, and decent human, I would not act as your mil, put up with your mil or speak to your mil. I would be done with mil.

VanillaSoyLatte Wed 11-Oct-17 16:12:50

Thank you very much to you all for taking time to offer your advice and support. For the time being we have decided to keep our distance & hope a little bit of time will help mil reflect on what has happened. I’ve also taken on board what several of you said regarding mil’s mental health, & i have made contact yesterday via text message offering to visit her without ds for a coffee & a chat, but so far have heard nothing back.

Madgran77 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:43:37

Vanilla* I admire you for your willingness to not leap to any extremes ...you are trying so hard to keep doors open, to make allowances and so on ...I agree with you for trying to analyse and understand the problems, it is so easy to escalate things without careful consideration of all the consequences. Within all that the safety of your new born son and your relationship are absolutely paramount and you and your husband working together on this is brilliant. I really wish you luck and I hope that it all works out for you. Do Let us know flowers

123kitty Wed 11-Oct-17 20:20:51

What a lovely DIL you seem. You are so very lucky to have a DH who's trying his best to stand up for you. If you smooth things over again too soon with MIL she might get the impression she can say and do whatever she likes- leave her to think things over for a while. Good luck new mum- enjoy your lovely family.

phoenix Wed 11-Oct-17 20:42:47

Lots of good advice, but with regard to her mental health, I think she's Dagenham, i.e. one stop short of Barking!

palliser65 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:15:08

You are right to feel angry. Your mother in law is undermining you and not helping you new mother confidence. Please find out if she is suffering from any mental health issues as her behaviour is concerning. Polyester is not quite understanding that all new mothers want a baby free time at any costs. I have no idea what her experience of motherhood is but mine isn't to be free of my baby at any chance. You are a new mother looking for support and guidance from other grannies and mother in laws and I fully sympathise. Yous ound as if you have a husband who values you and his child very much. You have done nothing wrong. Quite rightly you are asserting yourself as your child's mother. I do hope there is a resolution for you all.

palliser65 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:20:47

PS I think she's the full Upminster.....stop after Barking. You sound a very kind person and i'm sure this is very upsetting for you. Please let us know what happens.

petra Thu 12-Oct-17 22:59:40

Run for the hills, she's barking, and there lies danger. I'm deadly serious, keep her away from your child.

Yogagirl Fri 13-Oct-17 08:35:56

Is this for real confused hmm

Franbern Sat 14-Oct-17 10:20:29

Find it unsettling the way everyone on here has listened to one side of story and jumped in, many with such unpleasant comments. Would love to hear from this MiL.
Many people chatter quite inanely, making such stupid comments when talking to a very young baby. They know that all the bubs hears is the tone of their voice.
I would still counsel that this poor MiL is struggling to learn how to be a good GrandMum. Also, that any prolonged enstrangement will have long-term feelings of guilt from her son and DiL, as well as maybe damaging a relationship with her grandchild.

Madgran77 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:22:28

Franbern not "everyone"! Some have made a point of commenting positively on the OPs keenness to keep the door open etc despite her perspective on what occurred with her MIL. The nature of GN is one only hears one side of a story and the poster is asking for help and advice! I do agree with you that it is a shame when extremes of response are suggested, especially when the OP is clearly trying to work out solutions rather than CO and seems to be searching for reasons and making allowances.

Bibbity Sat 14-Oct-17 22:40:36

What would the other side of kidnap be?

silverlining48 Sun 15-Oct-17 06:41:10

Vanillasoy i hope that mil realises how lucky she is in having such a caring dil. That she understands how she has upset you and accepts your concerns so you can work this through and remain a close family. Co gratlations and
Good luck.

Leticia Sun 15-Oct-17 07:03:05

I think that the one side of the story that we have heard is very balanced. Thankfully VanillaSoyLatte has a supportive husband. MIL is also extremely lucky to get second and third chances. It is time for her to reflect. Her behaviour isn't normal and is toxic. It is up to her to change her ways. She is lucky to have such a caring DIL willing to mend fences. Hopefully it will work out.

jeanie99 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:08:43

MIL behaviour does sound rather strange to me she seems to have little common sense. This would concern me if I was the mum of a new born and especially one with health issues.
I personally wouldn't allow any contact alone with your baby it could be risky and if anything happened you would not forgive yourself.
Don't stop her coming to your home for visits this is with the agreement of your husband but make sure she is not alone with the baby.
See how things go then in the future.
Relationships can be difficult bit we keep trying don't we.

showergelfresh Sat 06-Jan-18 02:18:10

Mother's of sons have a hard time when it comes to being a grandma.
I love the way you want to keep the peace and for your son to have a relationship with a loving grandma.
You are being kind and including your MIL. That's good and she is certainly not loopy or crazy.
The parents hold all the cards and I can't begin to explain the overwhelming love we all feel for our grandchildren and the fear we all have that they can so easily be taken away from us at the drop of a hat.
We are learning too how to be a parent to our new parent adult child and DIL and to be a grandma too. Its not easy!
There is one thing I love about your post and that is your willingness to do all you can for relationships not to break down and your recognition of the immense value to your son of your MILS love for him.
Don't stop being the generous, forgiving, open, caring person you are. Your son is very lucky to have you and your husband has a lot to learn from you.

showergelfresh Sat 06-Jan-18 02:27:42

P.S
I don't think you need worry about your MILS 'mental health'.
Its all too easy to pin on this label.
Grandmas do need to bond with their grandchildren and the way to do this is to be alone with the child and this is what you did with unusual awareness.
Its not possible to bond with anyone with someone looking over your shoulder the whole time picking up on every word you say!
She brought up your son and you married him! Isn't that something to admire and take note of?
Give her some slack and don't keep reacting. She'll be fine and an asset as you first thought.

MargaretX Sat 06-Jan-18 03:44:23

I bonded with my GCs and can't remember if it was by being alone with them. If you really love them you want the best for them and the best for them when so small is a happy relaxed mother. MIls job is to be a help and support to the parents and to respect them and their wishes.

I suspect your Mil has a deep need to be loved which makes her desperate to get at this new Gc but it is not her child and her state of mind is not your problem.