Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Homemade Halloween outfits

(33 Posts)
Pinkshoes26 Thu 19-Oct-17 10:24:30

I dressed one of my daughters as a witch for a fancy dress. Black elastic skirt from a charity shop bought a black t. shirt and hat. We had fun making card stars and moons to pin on.

minimo Wed 18-Oct-17 17:09:21

I'm not sure I'm up to the pumpkin!
I love the idea of the spiders on the ghost sheets though... Sure I could find a couple of spare sheets going begging.

suzied Wed 18-Oct-17 15:27:15

Black cape, white shirt, black trousers + face paint = Dracula

orange + green crepe paper plus cardboard can be fashioned into a pumpkin

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:25:22

They could use a permanent marker pen, a Sharpie, to draw spiders onto the ghost sheets.... A couple of stitches would secure cobwebs onto the fabric ( you can buy on line for a couple of £.)

Oh... I'm on a roll now smile smile

suzied Wed 18-Oct-17 15:25:07

toilet paper wrapped round= a mummy

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:22:02

Ghosts !! Old sheets/bedding, or find them in a charity shop.

One circle/piece of fabric fitted around the neck and down to the calfs of the legs, two holes for the arms to come through. A pillow case over the head with eye holes, or even one big hole for the face. Easy peasy. No sewing needed. If any minimal sewing was required there'd be no need for anything but tacking stitches, or wonderweb, or even safety pins.

Old pink sheets for a girl ghost, perhaps smile
Any colour except pink for a boy smile

I just love love love the home made stuff. Anyone can just go buy an outfit. Home made is special.

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:54:17

Before Hallowe'en costumes were widely available years ago I dressed the DDs as a witch and her black cat. We had a circular long black skirt from a dance show and I made a cape etc for the witch, you could add some stars etc and buy a hat; someone did lend us a black cat outfit but you could make a tail and ears etc. and paint on whiskers with face paints.
If one is a boy then a wizard?

I don't like the blood and gore outfits myself though!

If you look on You Tube there may be some helpful hints too.

minimo Wed 18-Oct-17 12:13:41

My three grandchildren are coming to stay with me next weekend and I'm taking them to a Halloween arts and crafts thing on the Saturday. In a moment of madness I also offered to get them a dress-up outfit each (they're 3, 5 and 7). But having seen what the shops have to offer for Halloween outfits I'm not so sure anymore. There was that big scare with Claudia Winkleman's daughter a few years ago that showed how flammable the outfits are. So I was thinking I might make something myself? Any ideas on fairly simple but effective DIY outfits?