Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Cheating - for the first time ever

(43 Posts)
pooohbear2811 Sat 18-Nov-17 09:17:11

We have a lot of birthdays this month, DD3 was the 16th, DGD1 is 15 today, and the twins will be four on Tuesday to name but a few.
Part and parcel of birthdays in our family is a birthday cake. When my children were young shop bought cakes were very expensive based on my income and so I have always made them. Their friends use to think it was amazing as their parents bought their cakes and they all loved the different home made ones my children had for their birthdays. Have to say between about 10 and 14 they were often embarrassed by the cakes and wanted shop bought, but that just did not happen.
Anyway last Saturday I attended out of hours doctor with what was diagnosed as a frozen shoulder, been a week of little sleep. mega amounts of strong pain killers, I normally do paracetomol and nothing else, and me being spaced out unable to function.
So got hubby to drive me to the shop the other day to buy stuff to make cakes with. But took the decision to buy a plainish sponge for them all and just going to decorate the shop bought plain.
Not sure any of them will particularity notice, and I am sure the fact they get a cake will be all that matters to them but have to say do feel slightly guilty that I am cheating. But better a cheating cake than no cake I suppose as I am not sure how they will turn out as the brain is struggling to put one foot in front of the other let along weigh correctly and cook.
Wonder what I will get for my birthday at the end of the month, shop bought or home made.....

Auntieflo Sun 19-Nov-17 14:20:25

So was I, re the OP.
Shysal, you are so clever

lesley4357 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:40:31

6 yo gd always wants me to bake her birthday cake, and tells me in detail what she wants. So far I've made Peppa pig, ponyo (Japanese film character), ninjago, minecraft and mermaid under the sea theme. Every year is a bit more challenging!

Victoria08 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:39:35

Yes, I was also expecting something a bit racier.

But i dont see what cheating has got to do with not baking a cake.
Why put yourself through unnecessary fretting.
You are providing a cake. Surely that's enough.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 19-Nov-17 16:40:36

No one could possibly object to your decorating a shop bought cake under these circumstances. I'll bet it'll look and taste lovely. Get well soon.

GadaboutGran Sun 19-Nov-17 17:25:45

I thought this was going to be about a cheating man too!

Oh dear, should I feel guilty because I didn’t feel guilty when the cake I made for DH’s 70th was so awful (I used rice flour I didn’t know I had), we chucked it after one slice. We laughed, he didn’t think badly of me & no one died. We had a lovely meal though at a Breton restaurant in Richmond. .

GrannyJane Sun 19-Nov-17 17:28:11

I sympathise with the frozen shoulder. It is the most painful thing I have ever had (worse than childbirth I would say).

Bluegal Sun 19-Nov-17 17:56:56

Ha ha ha.....yes agree with basketlady....was really wanting some juicy info! Oh how sad am I? No comment on cakes and things bahaha..... (but am sure they will be lovely) xx

Granny23 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:55:33

I come from a family of excellent bakers but somehow that gene was not passed on. However, I am famous for my imaginative birthday cakes, which I construct rather than bake. Some of my favourites - a fort, complete with cannon and flags made of a whole tub of icecream, chocolate fingers, chocolate logs and minirolls; a massive mountain of eclairs, studded with strawberries with glittery 'snow' on top; a fruit and veg 'covered wagon' - melon top, toast woodwork, big tomato slice wheels, surrounded by celery and broccoli trees on cress and parsley grass any many more. Great fun to do and eminently edible.

rubysong Sun 19-Nov-17 20:01:09

I have recently discovered Betty Crocker country carrot cake mix. So easy to do and delicious. That is what I take to coffee mornings etc. and it is always complimented.

thecatgrandma Mon 20-Nov-17 07:42:36

If this is all you have to worry about you’re very lucky.

HeyHo Mon 20-Nov-17 08:45:19

OMGosh! This is not cheating, this is being clever - when I saw your headline about cheating - I thought the same as Basketlady!!

Oh bless you - get out there and use the shop bought sponge - at the end of the day it's the novelty of the decorating that everyone admires...xx

annodomini Mon 20-Nov-17 09:05:28

My sons demanded Black Forest gateaux for their birthdays when they were young teens. I bravely adapted a recipe to be something like BFG (not big friendly giant) and it always went down well. Tables were turned when I had 70th party - DS2 made me a cake in the shape of a VW Beetle and now makes themed cakes for his DSs. He's far more ingenious than I ever was. I was so flattered when my sisters bought me cakes (one sponge and one fruit) for my 77th just a few weeks ago. Bought or home made, a cake is a cake and there are candles to be blown out

loopyloo Mon 20-Nov-17 12:33:13

Exactly, like meeting a lover at the British Museum......

ajanela Mon 20-Nov-17 15:29:58

Basketlady ditto

Thank goodness it is only a cake that was cheated with.

123kitty Tue 21-Nov-17 10:51:48

My family all prefer shop bought- how cheeky's that!

newnanny Wed 10-Jan-18 12:07:11

I always made my children elaborate cakes for their birthdays when they were little until my ds went to a birthday party where they had a bought caterpillar cake. He was given a piece to bring home and raved and raved about this cake after that I asked him if I should make him a cake or buy him a caterpillar cake. He is now 31 and still has his caterpillar cake every year. Don't feel guilty as your family will probably not notice if you ice it yourself. Of the shop bought cakes we prefer Sainsbury's ones the best they are not dry.

newnanny Wed 10-Jan-18 12:11:03

Yes Annodomini you are right, it is the blowing out of the candles and knowing others wish you well that is the best bit.