Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

School girls with handbags

(73 Posts)
tanith Wed 21-Feb-18 11:20:54

Anyone else noticed this trend of young girls using big hand bags instead of school bags? My 13 yr old GD needed a new bag her friend apparently saying get your Mum to buy you a handbag. GD not being into the whole handbag,makeup and perfect hair camp laughed and asked for another back pack that she can sling on her back loaded with all her stuff. Her friends apparently struggle to carry these handbags in one hand or over one shoulder. I watched this morning as the school is very near us and there were lots of students with handbags and I even saw two primary girls (they wear different colour shirts). carrying large pink handbags. Does it seem crazy to anyone else?

paddyann Sat 09-Jun-18 20:06:45

it was briefcases that were in fashion when I was at school ,shiny tan leather .We had desks of course where we could leave books and lockers once we were past 2nd year .Now even my primary age GD's seem to carry all their books back and forward from home ,their bags weigh a ton .Then theres the bag with gymkit and lunchbags .Its a struggle getting them and all their stuff out of the car and up the school stairs every day .

Granny23 Sat 09-Jun-18 18:49:40

We all trotted off for our first days at The Academy carrying our brand new briefcases, only to discover that none of the seniors would be seen dead with such a thing. Books had to be neatly stacked, Atlas and science books on the bottom, smaller books on top. Then the stack was neatly wrapped in clear polythene and balanced on the left arm.

Our parents had also, at great expense, kitted us out with black, hooded burberrys for cold or wet weather, but again, it was not 'cool' to be seen wearing or carrying such a thing. There were 100s of them hanging permanently in the cloakroom, while the only concession to inclement weather was the long woollen scarfs, in school colours, which were 'in' .

Wheniwasyourage Sat 09-Jun-18 17:46:55

Me too, grannyactivist and 123kitty. I always use a backpack for work stuff, shopping, library books and just anything I need to carry around - I haven't driven for ages and so am usually on my feet. Also I use a rucksack of appropriate size if we're on holiday or away for a quick visit to the family, again by public transport. I started doing it many years ago, but always do it since hurting my back nearly 20 years ago. So far, touch wood, no recurrence!

At school we had satchels in primary and then briefcases in secondary, but no brass edges or other stocking-threatening bits that I can remember. The DGC all use backpacks but sometimes have to carry their lunch bags separately if there is too much homework.

goldengirl Sat 09-Jun-18 11:30:08

Backpacks are better as they distribute the weight. That said DGD still just slings one strap over one shoulder - as do I, I have to admit!!!

Franbern Sat 09-Jun-18 09:57:27

Hardly something very new!! Back in the mid-50's I managed to get into a Stage School (where I also received my normal education upto GCE). This was near Marble Arch in London. We all used, what were then known as 'Beauty Boxes' to carry our homework, books, etc. Thought they looked better than satchels, etc. even much more difficult to carry about.

handbagfrancis Thu 07-Jun-18 10:32:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Smurf44 Fri 23-Feb-18 10:26:42

My 14 year old cycles to school wearing a backpack. I can barely lift it some days as it is ridiculously heavy and I worry that she is doing untold damage to her back. Even postmen are not allowed to carry such weights when delivering our mail! My GD attends a newly built Academy (3yearsold) and there are No lockers nor cloakrooms to leave stuff in. They even have to carry wet coats and cycle helmets all day so she refuses to wear a helmet now! Apparently helmets are not cool these days! Even the canteen only seats 100 and the school has 1300 pupils. Imagine being told at work that you have to eat outside as there is no room in the canteen and food isn’t allowed in other rooms! No wonder teenagers are stressed ?

Coco51 Thu 22-Feb-18 23:25:03

My worry would be how much damage they are doing to their backs - the Swedes have an iconic back-pack to reduce the risk of problems later on. I wish there was more forethought here. Surely it would be a good thing to have starndard back-packs for all schools and let the children personalise them to express their individuality.

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 22:31:35

I really think that considering what young people gave to deal with these days , a school bag is a complete non problem .

Nanna58 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:27:12

Oh Nannarose I had one of those blasted baskets, and it had a plastic cover with a split for the handle to keep things dry- it looked like the thing on the bottom of my nan's budgie cage lol!

adaunas Thu 22-Feb-18 21:21:00

Lesley4357 we were given the same message about one of our daughters. X-ray showed the beginning of scoliosis. She had physio and was told to use a backpack worn properly.

pollyperkins Thu 22-Feb-18 19:36:44

I know exactly what you mean. It seems to be the latest fashion. A few years ago they all had tiny handbags , then tiny black rucsacks but now I've seen them walking to school with what look like large handbags - not really big enough for school books. They looked incongruous in their short skirts or tight trousers all carrying handbags in their hands ( not shoulder bags) as if they were impersonating the Queen. Quite old fashioned looking bags (at least to me) and not really suitable for school work.

Elrel Thu 22-Feb-18 19:27:25

Some have used big handbags for years! I'm so happy to use a backpack myself, my carrying capacity is seriously compromised by a walking stick and anno domini!

sharonarnott Thu 22-Feb-18 18:41:38

I don't see anything wrong with it, there are far worse things they could be doing.

Lilyflower Thu 22-Feb-18 16:12:40

When I was a teacher there was a phase of tiny handbags instead of proper schoolbags. I absolutely forbade them in my classroom and issued stern warnings and lectures about not taking expensive education seriously and about the children in the world who could not take education for granted.

They got the message.

Nanny41 Thu 22-Feb-18 15:27:10

I remember the leather satchel, I think a back pack is far better these days, it distributes the weight more easily, must be better for young backs.

tanith Thu 22-Feb-18 14:59:30

The World would be a dull place if we all agreed , I'm just glad my GD has gone for my 'sensible' option so far , of course this may change anytime soon ??

grannyactivist Thu 22-Feb-18 14:51:51

That would be me then 123kitty - I do actually carry my things in a backpack if using the bus or walking. I have a smallish one that replaces a handbag or take a larger, very light one for carrying my shopping home. smile

Worthingpatchworker Thu 22-Feb-18 14:16:19

Of curse one factor in all this is....what damage it may be doing to their skeletal wellbeing. A back pack, carried properly, distributes the weight much better and will help them in later years.
Girls following bag trends has been a long ongoing situation. This particular trend is set by the wags and pseudo celebrities.

lemongrove Thu 22-Feb-18 14:01:17

A lot of schools now have no cloakrooms and pupils have to carry everything around with them, coats ,books the lot.
It’s because garments would be stolen, a teacher told me.
No own form room with desks that you keep it all in, just tables.

moobox Thu 22-Feb-18 13:59:05

I am having visions of my tatty briefcase in the mid to late 1960s

NanaVal1946 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:56:23

In Lanzarote I've watched the school bus disgorge the scholars and the majority have the cabin size suitcase on wheels which they happily trundle along with.

Camelotclub Thu 22-Feb-18 13:17:30

If the bag is loaded down with books it might not do their back any favours if it's on one shoulder. A backpack is far better in that respect.

leemw711 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:08:04

I tend to agree that backpacks are the most sensible buy. I used to work at a well-known Grammar School and was appalled to find that some of our younger girls (13-15) has REALLY expensive designer handbags which they carried around the school. The school matron once pointed out one of these bags to me and told me it retailed at £600+ which left me totally shocked! I can’t afford a bag like that and I think buying one for a child is ridiculous!

Sulis Thu 22-Feb-18 12:54:28

just schoolkid fashions which change like grown-ups! When my son was at school it was fashionable to pry open holes in the cuffs of sweatshirts to stick their thumbs through, thus making a sort of glove! I thought it was a good idea and did the same to one of mine!!