Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

School girls with handbags

(72 Posts)
tanith Wed 21-Feb-18 11:20:54

Anyone else noticed this trend of young girls using big hand bags instead of school bags? My 13 yr old GD needed a new bag her friend apparently saying get your Mum to buy you a handbag. GD not being into the whole handbag,makeup and perfect hair camp laughed and asked for another back pack that she can sling on her back loaded with all her stuff. Her friends apparently struggle to carry these handbags in one hand or over one shoulder. I watched this morning as the school is very near us and there were lots of students with handbags and I even saw two primary girls (they wear different colour shirts). carrying large pink handbags. Does it seem crazy to anyone else?

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 11:30:16

I can't see the problem really tanith. A bag is a bag isn't it?

My eldest DGD (soon to be 12) carries a large black hand/ shoulder bag to school. She is tiny and the bag is almost as big as she is. Her school is very strict about colours and dress codes but they have no problems with bags as long as they are black and serve the purpose. My younger DGD (10) carries a bright orange shoulder bag to primary school, her teacher has no problem with it whatsoever.

Ilovecheese Wed 21-Feb-18 12:04:01

I can't see a problem either, it's just a bag.

tanith Wed 21-Feb-18 12:07:07

As you both say I guess a bag is a bag i just think a back pack less of a faff to carry heavy stuff in.

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 12:17:19

Cant be any worse than the huge leather satchels we used to carry around heavily laden with books ( covered in drawings in my husbands case!)

ninathenana Wed 21-Feb-18 12:25:55

D left school 13 yrs ago. She and her contemporaries carried large handbags to school.

Willow my leather satchel was like an old friend. Complete with 'personal design features'

Fennel Wed 21-Feb-18 12:30:41

These fashions seem to come and go so fast these days.
Last summer I was staying with eldest son and family. DiL took 13 yr old Gd to buy a new bag, an early xmas present. She came back with a tiny little grey leather satchel - thrilled to bits with it.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 21-Feb-18 12:31:17

tanith am with you on this one, my dgds wanted in on this trend, my dd laughed and said where are you going to put your PE kit, cookery ingredients, books, lunch box etc? They have their handbags at weekendsgrin

wildswan16 Wed 21-Feb-18 12:56:57

Backpacks are much safer than handbags/shoulder bags for youngsters. They have to carry so much these days so being lopsided is a real health issue.

We used to have leather satchels for school - they seem to be quite a fashion statement now!

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 13:29:38

Can’t see a problem really . I had to have a briefcase at my all girls grammar . Really heavy and clumsy even when empty.

Beau Wed 21-Feb-18 14:23:58

Yes, briefcase for me too at girls grammar - could not have been more unwieldy. We also had back inspection every year to make sure our backs were still straight and our shoulders level - we were supposed to carry this heavy briefcase in alternate hands so that we didn't end up lop sided. They don't know they're born these days with their backpacks and handbags ?

Moocow Wed 21-Feb-18 15:58:01

As well as being safer backpacks also carry more. The number of handbag users not taking their text books to school makes a big difference to the smooth running of lessons. Same goes for others who don't load up their backs with heavy backpacks.

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 15:58:24

Mine had horrid brass corner tips too Beau and my little legs were always bruised. I hated it and got laughed at by my (ex) friends at the local secondary modern.

Nannarose Wed 21-Feb-18 18:34:43

I cam across an old photo, and realised that when I was in the 6th form, it was 'the fashion' to use an old fashioned woven basket for all our school stuff.
Must have been horribly difficult, but I don't remember it!

wot Wed 21-Feb-18 18:38:09

We got banned from using those gondaler type baskets at
School because they laddered the teachers stockings!can't spell gondolier though.

lemongrove Wed 21-Feb-18 18:47:12

As long as they can get all their gear into it, does it really matter?I do feels sorry that quite frail looking girls have to carry so much though, I had a half empty leather satchell, we only had to take homework in it.

willsmadnan Wed 21-Feb-18 19:02:23

Heavy leather briefcase type school bags were the norm in the 50s and as others have said they were an absolute pain in more than one sense. I would worry more about 13 year-olds going to school in full make-up than the bag they choose for their books.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 19:03:21

The handbags are big enough to take all their stuff not handbags as we think of them and yes my teen granddaughter changed from her backpack about two years ago and now —lugs— uses a LARGE black bag

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 19:04:11

Oh well that crossed out didn’t —happen— work

Elegran Wed 21-Feb-18 19:48:54

By the summer the fashion will be for something completely different. Bundles of books tied with binder twine? Gym kit stuffed into Lush carrier bags? Black bin bags fastened with pink ribbons?

Elegran Wed 21-Feb-18 19:55:04

Testing crossing out That worked OK.
Maybe you used the shift button? _No that wasn't it_
Did you do three dashes? -Like this?- No.
Forget to leave a space either side outside the dashes? Like this--no space--left. No.

I give up.

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 21:59:52

The crossing out no longer works on my phone BlueBelle just incase you were posting from an iPhone .

—crossing out—

gillybob Wed 21-Feb-18 22:00:45

The dashes join up and the crossing out —doesn’t happen—

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 22:55:17

Using an iPad Gillybob same I guess, thought I was daft glad someone else can’t do it that’s what happens the dashes join up and then don’t work
I thought I did what it told me to elegran dash dash word dash dash but it don’t strike through - -just trying - -

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 22:55:35

Nah nothing works