Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Nature book suggestions please

(8 Posts)
tessagee Tue 03-Apr-18 17:05:33

I'm still finding Children's Encyclopedia really useful for quick reference and the pictures are really excellent and often self-explanatory. It also makes a great Christmas or birthday present.

teabagwoman Tue 03-Apr-18 13:04:04

Thanks Luckygirl, the Maurice Pledger books look great, will definitely be ordering. Will also look out for the Usborne books Greyduster. Actually the mention of Usborne triggered a memory and a trip to the loft where I found a forgotten book. Too old for her now but good to have it back on the shelf.

Greyduster Tue 03-Apr-18 11:46:46

Thank you for bringing that to my notice, Elegran - lovely illustrations. I’ve put it on my present list! ??

Elegran Tue 03-Apr-18 11:10:32

Here is one of his for fisher adults like greyduster While My Float's Still Cocked: The Ramblings of an Artist-Angler

Elegran Tue 03-Apr-18 10:55:48

I had to look up Maurice Pledger on Amazon, and found many books by him. They look great, I am only sorry I have no grandchildren young enough to appreciate them. And some used copies in good condition are only a penny each! (plus postage, of course)

Greyduster Tue 03-Apr-18 10:17:19

They sound like fun! GS used to love pop up books. Also try the Usborne Nature Trail series.

Luckygirl Tue 03-Apr-18 09:38:12

Google Maurice Pledger - he produces amazing books with pop-up pages of beautiful illustrations of wild life scenes in different locations, with the addition of the sounds of those animals on each spread. Turn the page and there is a key which tells you the names of the animals and a bit about them. The books are a bit fragile, but if read under supervision a four year old should be OK with it - I read them to my 2 year old.

teabagwoman Tue 03-Apr-18 09:29:46

As a grandma I seem to have become the fount of all knowledge and am feeling somewhat inadequate. I grew up in the country and my Father taught me an awful lot but, now I need it, my knowledge seems vague to say the least. Can anyone suggest books that would refresh my knowledge and be suitable for using with a very bright 4 year old. I know it’s all on the internet but I’m keen to encourage the idea that you can look things up in books too. Many thanks.