Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Challenges of having multiple grandchildren?

(16 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 26-Apr-18 09:43:39

We've been asked to talk on BBC Radio Scotland later this morning on how things change when you have multiple grandchildren. Prince Charles has been quoted as saying he may struggle to 'keep up' ;)
More birthdays to remember, extra childcare? Balanced of course with the joy that new babies bring - how have you found being a grandparent to one, compared to when more grandchildren arrive?

paddyann Thu 26-Apr-18 10:18:15

I imagine Prince Charles struggles to keep up with a lot of things ....isn't he the man who needs someone to put toothpaste on his toothbrush for him? 3 children to remember the names of is hardly a big ask ...in the normal world .Even at his advancing age .

kittylester Thu 26-Apr-18 10:19:03

We have found that our lives are richer and fuller for having 8 dgc (plus one pending!!). We don't have onerous childcare responsibilities as some grandparents do and, luckily, they seem to like us so we mostly see them, and out children, for fun times.

I can't imagine how Prince Charles thinks he will struggle to keep up. confused

My problem with all ours is that their birthdays are not nicely spread out but, stressfully, clumped together.

With our own commitments to contend with, together with seeing the dgc, we are always kept busy.

Nannarose Thu 26-Apr-18 10:25:01

Many years ago, with a load of birthdays lumped together and a spread out family, the grandparents (actually republicans, which amused us all) that we would have an 'Official Birthday' for all the children & grandchildren. A summer BBQ, with treasure hunts and an exchange of gifts. Over the years, this has become a great institution, keeping us in touch. It also meant that the cost of gifts was spread out.

tanith Thu 26-Apr-18 10:36:35

I now have 9 GC and 3 GGC a lot to remember but as most are grown I’m now having to remembering wedding anniversary’s too. I always send cards but the over 20s don’t get a gift just the little ones but we all gather for a meal out instead. Charles needs to get a grip really, as if he’s ever going to have to remember to buy gifts or cards ??

GrandmaMoira Thu 26-Apr-18 10:40:14

I had 8 step GC and we didn't do Birthdays but we did babysit a lot. At Christmas we gave money to their mothers to spend on the family as they wished.

joannapiano Thu 26-Apr-18 11:00:20

We have 8 DGC and apart from two, have done 17 years of part-time childminding, and we love being part of their lives.
The other 3 sets of grandparents either live abroad or are not interested, and it would have been nice sometimes for them to take over, just for a few days!
Our youngest starts school in September, so we will be doing just school runs and holidays.

Cherrytree59 Thu 26-Apr-18 14:08:26

My little grandchildren take great delight in reminding us constantly about their up and coming birthdays ?

If (or when) in the future my memory starts to fade, I will have alerts on my phone a few days prior to the big day and again on the day.
Mobile phone calendars are very useful when you don't have
butler or man/woman servant to remind you!wink

Greenfinch Thu 26-Apr-18 14:46:47

We have five,spread out in age from ten to newborn.Their birthdays are spread out too: April,twins in May, September and October.There wasn't a problem just adding one to the list at a time but I can see it would be more difficult with great grandchildren.

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Apr-18 16:22:03

Prince Charles has been quoted as saying he may struggle to 'keep up'
I am sure it was said with tongue in cheek, although he does have a lot more to think about and keep up with than most grandparents.

goldengirl Thu 26-Apr-18 20:12:51

We have 8 gc and they are all totally different in personality and character. It's fascinating! We only have 2 children so the fact they every child is different is amazing. The only 2 things they all have in common is the fact that they're fussy eaters and can never seem to find the waste bin even though it's always in the same place!

Thisismyname1953 Fri 04-May-18 09:43:19

I have 5 grandchildren , 4 with winter birthdays and my dgd2 who shares her birthday with me. In two weeks time I will be 65 and she will be 13. We and 17 more people will be going out for a nice meal

gillybob Fri 04-May-18 09:56:57

I am sure it was said with tongue in cheek, although he does have a lot more to think about and keep up with than most grandparents

Isn’t that what his paid staff are for thoughJalima ?

I am still pinching myself every time I remember I have 4 DGC now smile. Not hard to keep up as the 3 older ones constantly remind me and make sure their special days are all clearly marked on the calendar just in case they should slip my memory .

I don’t think the royals are “normal” grandparents anyway .

annodomini Fri 04-May-18 10:30:51

Isn't it Camilla's job to remember birthdays? Doubtless his Highness has his mind on more lofty things.
I have five GC, nicely spread over the latter half of the year, from July 1st to December 31st. The one who usually reminds me of her birthday is the oldest - now 26 - and, I ask you, why would a Scottish granny need to be reminded of Hogmanay?

stella1949 Fri 04-May-18 12:10:36

I have four, two from each of my AC. They are 12, 9, 8, and 6. They are in my heart and mind all the time - and are certainly never a problem to me. Their birthdays are neatly spread through the year, and in any case I have a "birthday calendar" to remind me. These children are my life and soul, nothing comes close to the love I feel for them.

I'm sure that Prince Charles was simply making a little joke about the children, he seems to be a doting grandfather just like the rest of us.

harrigran Fri 04-May-18 13:22:19

I only have two GC and their birthdays are six days apart, not difficult to remember.