Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Car seats

(33 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 29-May-18 23:08:03

You need to ask again.
I had a car seat for DGS which was easilybremovanle and fitted up to age 3 by which time he could use a booster seat (yes, with a back, ) but using the cars own seat belts.

Beau Tue 29-May-18 22:52:55

We have bought 3 car seats (mum, dad, nana) because isofix fittings are not really moveable from car to car, are they? It was certainly less hassle with the small baby one which strapped in the car seat belts but DGS grew out of that at 15 months. Certainly no-one at Mothercare or Halfords said anything about moving the second size from car to car when they fitted them. Also I believe the booster seats now have to have a back on them, not sure when that becomes compulsory. We were not shown any car seats which fitted normal car seat belts in the age 1 to 4 years range.

M0nica Tue 29-May-18 22:40:38

Cherrytree, you need to flatten the car seats down to get a lawnmower in, obviously impossible if seats have to be permanently attached. However as all car seats are portable these days and only use the car's already built in car seat belts, the problem that concerns deaneke is no longer a problem.

Cherrytree59 Tue 29-May-18 20:58:12

Over 30 years ago my in-laws said that they would like to take to our two children out on day trips.
We agreed they could but would need car seats.
They refused Point blank even though we said we would buy and have them installed.

Result... they were never allowed to take their grandchildren out in their carsad

Today car seats are easy to remove from cars.
deaneke Do you put lawn mowers on your back seat?
Hope your DD and DGC have an enjoyable tripsmileA

Hilltopgran Tue 29-May-18 20:46:02

Our GC live abroad so the car seats and booster seats are stored in the house between visits, along with all the other equipment needed for young children which is not practicable to bring on a plane.

M0nica Tue 29-May-18 20:44:30

You do not say how old the children are, but modern safety seats for children of any age are not permanently fixed into cars these days and haven't been for several decades.

When my two DGC were toddlers the one set of car seats were toted around from their car to our car to their aunt's cars with no problems whatsoever. When they reached the age (around 4) when all they needed was booster seats (like solid seat shaped cushions) we just went to Halfords and bought two. They were not expensive and they live in the bottom of the wardrobe when not required. They will soon be unnecessary and will be freegled

Bathsheba Tue 29-May-18 20:42:11

Well car seats are a legal requirement for children so you’ve got two choices really: keep them in the car or bring them indoors and put them in the car only when the children will be travelling. Or your daughter could hire a car while she’s here so the car seats don’t have to go in your car at all.

deaneke Tue 29-May-18 20:36:43

Our daughter hopes to fly with her 2 children. Our problem are car seats. We don't want them in permanently as we need space for lawn mowers,recycling and sometimes pets! Any suggestions, please