Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Do you “Mind ?”

(82 Posts)
basslady Thu 21-Jun-18 12:26:24

Sorry if this has been posted before I did search but couldn’t see anything.

My dilemma : I retired a year ago, age now 63, following breast cancer ( not moaning just info ) with no pension until age 66 ( grrrr) however After 40 years working and bringing up a family with all the usual mix of fun and traumas I am really enjoying having time to get healthier, sing, travel & indulge my arty farty interests, I’ve even started a bit of writing - always a dream.

Anyhoo : my DD is now preggers with her first child ( am thrilled to bits ) and I feel like I should offer to help out with child minding as they both need to work. However having only just gained my freedom I don’t want to make a regular commitment that “clips my wings”again, so to speak.

I am happy to help out but just not on a “regular day” or every week as we go away a lot, woohoo ! I feel so selfish tho....

Any advice or ideas ?

Btw my daughter is amazing and wouldn’t dream of asking me to give up my freedom, it’s me who feels perhaps I should...

Bopeep14 Sat 25-Aug-18 09:37:47

I agree with sodapop, saggi you are doing to much, i always said i would not take or pick grandchildren up from school, i have just been asked to do this for one of my step grandchilldren as they have moved area and it means a new school, and there is no availability at after school club one night, i am dreading it because it means i will have to take a 30 minute bus journey with a 3 year old and 9 month old and a 20 minute walk to school then a return journey. Reading what you do saggi made me realise it hopefully wont be to bad.

Summermary Wed 29-Aug-18 23:59:12

I hav

Madgran77 Thu 30-Aug-18 15:16:15

We childmind one day a week and occasional overnight stays or evening babysitting. It has always been clear that whenever we go away other arrangements have to be made and our son has never queried that. The arrangement like that works for us, but wouldn't if we were made to feel tied to the commitment and unable to go away! I feel we have the best of both worlds on babysitting! Only you though can decide what works for you! Whatever you decide it is very important and only fair to all concerned, to be very clear about what you can and are willing to do! That means that if you do one day a week or whatever then a clear discussion about what happens when you go away needs to happen before you start! We always give as much notice as we can and also for short breaks ( 5 or less) we try to our child minding day if possible! Enjoy being a granny!

Madgran77 Thu 30-Aug-18 15:17:24

..... "5 days or less"

humptydumpty Thu 30-Aug-18 15:23:31

I echo these sentiments; I've told my DD (no children yet) that I will help her out when the time comes, but not a regular commitment and she is happy with that. I think communication is the key.

PECS Thu 30-Aug-18 15:31:13

I offered to do a day a week when my DGS1 was born. It was my choice and suited me and my DD1. I was still working f/t but could jiggle hours/work from home etc. so it worked!
I now look after bot sets of DGC 2x week after school. But if we wan to go away we just give advance notice and the DDs sort it! They are grateful for the support we provide and do not begrudge us if we plan a holiday! You have to do what suits you and your circumstances and be absolutely clear in communicating !