Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Normal for 5yo GS to wet himself?

(18 Posts)
NannyJan2 Tue 24-Jul-18 14:57:12

My GD is 5, he's been PT for 2 years now but still occasionally wets himself, usually if he's playing in the garden or distracted by game or TV. Is it normal at his age or not? I think he should have outgrown it by now, I can remember my son occasionally doing it when he was little too, so maybe it's a boy thing?

Ilovecheese Tue 24-Jul-18 15:06:40

Perfectly normal.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Jul-18 15:35:07

PT = Physically trained
Perfectly normal I d say, especially as he’s only been trained two years Is he still using a potty ? I think they like to be big boys and use a proper loo even if they need a step up to it and to lift the seat etc presumable he’s at school so uses the toilet successfully there

Eglantine21 Tue 24-Jul-18 16:31:00

They do it at school too, especially if they’re very involved in something. Or at least arrive by your side clutching themselves and hopping up and down.

Boys tend to leave it till the last minute. But then so do men sometimes!

Luckygirl Tue 24-Jul-18 16:39:31

When I can see my DGS really needs to go (and I know if I suggest it he will deny it) I offer him the opportunity to water one of my trees - he can't resist it!

I think it is normal for boys to do this wetting lark - but what do I know? - I only had girls!

stella1949 Tue 24-Jul-18 16:42:02

My grandson is 7, and he has only been fully dry for about a year. I'd say it's perfectly normal to be still a bit wet at 5.

Nannarose Tue 24-Jul-18 16:46:55

Quite normal, but it's a good idea to help him organise himself so it happens less.
We ask 'who needs the loo?' before a change of activity. So before we go out, when we get back before settling down to something, before a meal etc.
I know they flit about a bit, but I'd say before he settles to watch something or goes outside. I sometimes say 'stop and think!'

MissAdventure Tue 24-Jul-18 16:49:51

I think its to do, partly, with female/male plumbing.
We can know for some time that we'll need a wee soonish, whereas males don't get that feeling until things are much further along.

Eglantine21 Tue 24-Jul-18 16:57:53

Yes, it’s not did that isn’t it Misadventure. Last week I met my daughter for coffee. I was a bit ahead of time and thought Hmm, shall I go now before she arrives? Then she came and we sat and had coffee and then I thought, Hmm, I’m going to need to go to the loo soon.
Then we did a little bit of shopping and then I drive home and THEN I really did need the loo (after glancing at the post) grin

Eglantine21 Tue 24-Jul-18 16:58:31

It’s odd not it’s not did!

shysal Tue 24-Jul-18 17:02:10

I did it a lot when I first started school, because I was too shy to ask to go to the toilet. I was very embarrassed to be sometimes sent home in boy's pants as they had a boarding prep school on the same site. I also have vivid memories of wetting a friend's cream carpet at her birthday party! blush
I did grow out of it by the age of 6.

Lazigirl Tue 24-Jul-18 17:06:14

Very normal. If he's still doing it at 35 then's the time to be concerned smile

TerriBull Tue 24-Jul-18 17:15:00

One of my sons would occasionally have a mishap at nursery/reception aged 4, and I knew as teachers confirmed, he was usually in the thick of some game and would never take the time to tear himself away from whatever was going on. Similarly if my 4 year old grandson is absorbed, he needs a reminder from time to time.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Jul-18 17:20:31

My mum and I were sitting in the crowded waiting room of the chiropractors when she whispered loudly to me..
"M, do you need to do a wee wee before we go home?"
I was 48 at the time!

HildaW Tue 24-Jul-18 17:47:54

Not just a boy thing either!

M0nica Tue 24-Jul-18 19:55:44

DGS has to be chased to the loo at 8. We know (and he knows) he wants to go because he is jiggling and wriggling, but he just doesn't want to separate himself from the rest of the group (even family at home) in case he misses anything.

NannyJan2 Tue 24-Jul-18 20:30:26

Thank you smile I meant to put DGS in original OST not GD blush

NannyJan2 Tue 24-Jul-18 20:30:56

*post not ost lol