Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What age did your GC stop wetting the bed?

(52 Posts)
GranLou22 Wed 19-Sep-18 00:26:27

My DGS is 5 and still wears a pull up at night as he still wets the bed. I know boys take longer than girls and these things can’t be rushed but how old was your GC? DS wet the bed til he was about 4 if I remember rightly hmm

inishowen Wed 19-Sep-18 12:43:01

I have one GD who was dry at three. Another who is six and is just struggling to get dry. My son had awful problems, not being really dry until he was eleven. The moral of the story is, all children are different and don't ever put any pressure on them.

Willow500 Wed 19-Sep-18 12:58:24

My husband was still wetting the bed when we married at 17 which was very stressful for both of us although I was never critical. I finally made him see the doctor who gave him medication and eventually it stopped. Our sons were both different - the youngest was still being lifted when he was 5 but the eldest was dry about 3. Everyone is different and the best advise is not to make a fuss about it.

stella1949 Wed 19-Sep-18 12:59:07

Both my children were about 4. My daughter's DS was 6. Nothing to worry about - nobody stresses about it these days.

grammargran Wed 19-Sep-18 13:13:17

No idea ........

OldMeg Wed 19-Sep-18 13:42:45

PECS I don’t think that’s particularly early, but we do seem to have 10 gallon bladders in our family.

CassieJ Wed 19-Sep-18 13:49:53

I have only had sons, and they were all dry at night by 2 1/2.
My grandson was around 3 when he was dry at night.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 19-Sep-18 14:30:02

My gs stopped at about 11.

KaazaK Wed 19-Sep-18 14:54:33

My youngest grandson has just turned 5 and still wears pull ups at night. Most times he is dry in the morning but occasionally the pull ups are wet. He doesn't seem to be bothered about it and I'm sure in time he will be dry at night

M0nica Wed 19-Sep-18 15:17:24

No problem with DGC, but my sister was still wetting the bed at 7. As an adult she has a sensitive bladder, and gets up frequently at night and measures her daytime life by always making sure she knows where the nearest loo is.

In fact the answer is as long as a piece of string

Carolpaint Wed 19-Sep-18 15:22:50

About four weeks ago we had this post, please do not compare. It is hereditary, some children's bladder signals take longer to mature. Your word STILL indicates your reasoning. We are grandmothers, it is our sons or daughters jurisdiction. Do not comment or compare. A grand daughter walked at 9 months, it is as much a fluke as that.

sluttygran Wed 19-Sep-18 15:54:36

According to my ‘pet’ urologist, any time between two to fifteen years is normal for being dry at night. Children vary enormously, although very few will continue to wet until their teens.
It’s important to remember, however, that a child who is later than average should be checked to make sure that they have no underlying urinary problem or infection that might be slowing the process.
Thank goodness for pull ups, tho’ - I remember the bad old days of smelly rubber sheets and endless wet bedding!

DotMH1901 Wed 19-Sep-18 16:06:02

My grandson and younger granddaughter were dry from being 3 years old but my eldest granddaughter sleeps like the dead and she didn't grow out of bedwetting (she wore the special bedpants they make these days) until she was nine when suddenly she was dry every night. We didn't make a fuss about it although my daughter did have a word with her GP in case there was some problem with a bladder infection etc - he did some tests and GD was fine so it was just a case of waiting.

Bagatelle Wed 19-Sep-18 16:24:35

My son was still wetting the bed and nappy when he was five. One day I casually told him that we wouldn't bother with the nappy, I'd just wash the bed. He woke up early the next morning, cold as well as wet, but was dry ever after.

Rosina Wed 19-Sep-18 17:24:21

My GS is four now; he has recently stopped wearing nappies during the day, but still has a pull up nappy at night. Hhe is a bright, articulate child but decided firmly he wasn't going to wear pants and the more we suggested it the firmer he got. We left the topic alone, he started to wear pants when HE was ready, and I believe he is dry at night most of the time now - just the very odd wet nappy, around once every three weeks or so. Dil said that when he goes for four weeks she will leave the nappy off.

newnanny Wed 19-Sep-18 17:45:17

All three of my children dry by 2 1/2 day and night. They were in Terry nappies though so if they wet they could feel it, modern disposable nappies and pull ups absorb wee and turn it into gel so child feels dry so does not make connection between weeing and feeling wet. I think there is a general trend towards later at getting dry day and night because of disposable nappies and pull ups. Grandson dry at 3. He used modern Terries in triangle shape so could also feel wet if he did a wee. As long as he is dry in day I would not worry too much.

Deedaa Wed 19-Sep-18 19:33:13

My two grandsons are 5 3/4 and nearly 5 and they both wear pullups at night as a precaution. The oldest grandson is 12 and autistic and was dry by 3. My daughter was dry by 2 1/2 my son wet the bed till he was about 15.

Coco51 Wed 19-Sep-18 21:25:48

Two of my GSs were almost teens but the little one in the same family was not afflicted and was about 4. My GD was nearly 5.

Grannyben Wed 19-Sep-18 22:58:48

My dgs, now just turned 4, took an eternity to be toilet trained during the day so we've absolutely no hope of dry nights. He wears a pull up at night and, every morning, it's soaking wet. Like many other children, he is a very deep sleeper. We often joke that you could run a train through his room and he wouldn't have a clue

callgirl1 Wed 19-Sep-18 23:44:46

I don`t know about my grandchildren, but my 3 girls were 6 and 7 before they were dry at night, and the 2 boys were 13 and 14, I was nearly going scranny with them.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 20-Sep-18 00:03:37

Heart breaking to see another thread about bedwetting children. I was a bedwetter, as was my dad, my son, some sisters, nephew, all stopping at variotu ages, me completely by 10.

Just be grateful for pull ups as opposed to the cheap old plastic sheet of years ago and not having a decent washing machine, nor any type of dryer.

This is a very sensitive issue for the wetter.

Purplepoppies Thu 20-Sep-18 08:52:45

My gd was 3. One thing for sure is you can't rush them. I don't think there is a 'norm'.
Having said that when my gd was very badly constipated just after coming out of nappies we had to go back to them because of faecal leakage until she'd been sorted out in hospital, poor little mite. It wasn't diet related, it was anxiety ?.

Millie8 Thu 20-Sep-18 09:01:13

Ì was about 13 and got punished for bed wetting (in the 60's) Mý sons were 7 and 14 before they stopped. Ìts very common and the NHS had enuresis clinics to help parents cope and not thè make the children feel bad. I don't think they still have clinics as it's not considered a problem these days.

evianers Fri 21-Sep-18 19:45:11

Reading through all the various posts, I am perhaps a little surprised that no-one has mentioned the fact that the problem can be psychological and not necessarily physical. Here speaks the voice of experience {15 years}. Simply awful for the child concerned and the older they become, the more internal stress this causes. My mother said "you wet the bed one more time my girl and......" I did, so she dragged me out of bed, dragged my brother and sister in to my room to watch, and at 15 dressed me in a nappy.
Very, very humiliating, but ironically enough, it did the trick. But I would never do this to my children/grandchildren.

Lynne59 Fri 21-Sep-18 19:56:02

My Granddaughters were 2 1/2. Now 7yrs and almost 4.

My sons were about 3 1/2 (both now in their 30s)

Franbern Thu 27-Sep-18 14:34:26

When will parents and grandparents stop making comparisons on the different milestones that children make?? So sad, Every child is different - that is what makes us all so human, and the age at which they have control of bladder/bowel, able to walk, jump, ride a bike, etc. read, write, do maths is so varied, and rarely had any sort of on-going meaning. My son, fluently, very, very early - so.....was considered Gifted in Primary school, went on to get a reasonable degree and job, but nothing much. My twin girls did not say a word until they were turned two and a half, both went on to good firsts and MA's.
Bladder and bowel control both daytime and night are very individual. As has been said here, if a child sleeps very deeply, as my youngest son did, then no way will a full bladder wake him. Knew a friends son, who at the age of about 11 years old they were told by GP to use an alarm system in his bed, he wet, off went the alarm, whole family woke up, except him!!!
Please stop these comparisons.......as long as child is making progress along proper route (ie doing things in line, not at particular times), and is happy in their lives, that is all that matters.
We had several so-called 'dry at night' foster children who (as I expected they would) became wet at night due to the sudden changes in their young lives. Always treated with respect and not made a great thing about. Once they settled down, they usually started to become dry again, but not all of them.