Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What age did your GC stop wetting the bed?

(51 Posts)
GranLou22 Wed 19-Sep-18 00:26:27

My DGS is 5 and still wears a pull up at night as he still wets the bed. I know boys take longer than girls and these things can’t be rushed but how old was your GC? DS wet the bed til he was about 4 if I remember rightly hmm

Melanieeastanglia Wed 19-Sep-18 00:31:27

From what I've read, children vary. I don't think you should be too anxious about a five year old child.

paddyann Wed 19-Sep-18 00:50:31

my son was late being dry at night ,I think its quite normal for boys in particular to be slower .I wouldn't worry about it ,he'll be night trained when he's ready.

agnurse Wed 19-Sep-18 01:54:59

Some boys take as long as 9 or 10 years to be dry at night. Pullups at age 5 isn't abnormal.

BlueBelle Wed 19-Sep-18 05:06:15

One granddaughter was 11 her brother 2, another grandaughter (a cousin) was nearly as old but her two sisters were dry as young toddlers
They are all different and all parts of a child mature at different times

ninathenana Wed 19-Sep-18 08:29:38

Our 6 yr old still wears pull ups at night. 80% of the time he is dry but still is wet some mornings.
My friends daughter was still having accidents at 10

PECS Wed 19-Sep-18 08:34:48

DGS1 was about 7 and DGS2 now just 6 looks like he will be similar. Both my brothers (now late 50s early 60s!) were well into junior school b4 they were dry at night. I remember the "draw sheets" my mum made to help manage the situation!

sodapop Wed 19-Sep-18 08:43:21

One of my daughters was a long time getting dry at night, she must have been over 7 as I remember. That was one time when the horrible nylon sheets were useful.
We tried all sorts of things to help but when our doctor suggested medication we drew the line and decided just to let things take their course and not worry. It all worked out in the end. Be patient Granlou all children vary with this.

polyester57 Wed 19-Sep-18 08:48:56

My granddaughter is five and a half and still wets the bed occasionally/rarely. She does not have pull ups and we deal with any accidents in a matter-of-fact way. I must say that I think it is caused by the vast amounts of water that they drink nowadays. In my day you limited the amount of liquid consumed before bed time, which probably wasn´t a great thing either and has led to the older generation drinking far too little. I know I do! Have to keep reminding myself. My grandson, her brother, is three and has been completely dry day and night for several months now. So even the presumtion that boys take longer isn´t always right.

harrigran Wed 19-Sep-18 09:01:55

GD2 slept so soundly that 'bladder full' signals did not reach her brain and wake her. We were always asked to lift her and take her to the toilet before we went to bed, no mean feat as she was very heavy. Accidents were still happening at 7/8 but made sure bed was protected with a hippy chick waterproof sheet.

Flossieturner Wed 19-Sep-18 09:05:06

The girls between 3 and 5 . The boys between 4 and 9. I wonder if it is hereditary, as my son was not dry until 7.

OldMeg Wed 19-Sep-18 09:11:53

All dry at night by 2 and that includes the boys. None of them put in disposables though....used the new version of terry nappies.

PECS Wed 19-Sep-18 09:30:58

oldmeg wow that is unusually early! Just goes to show how physical development can vary so much! Our family does not produce any teeth until at least 8 months old wheras some tots have them much sooner!

polyester paediatric advice is not to limit water intake. Concentrated urine irritates the bladder.

Nanabilly Wed 19-Sep-18 09:52:52

First son was 2 and second son was almost 4
Gc.. The first born was 5 almost 6 and the second was 4 . We told the first gs that the younger one was out of pullups now so he said well I don't want them then and he's been dry ever since.
Never make an issue out of dry nights .I would much rather them have a good night's sleep without being lifted or woke up to wee than worry about it.

merlin Wed 19-Sep-18 11:28:25

All my 11 grandchildren vary. Youngest to stop was 2 (my eldest GS) but my one GD is nearly 13 and still wets the bed. It is a problem for her and she visits a clinic but from conversations with the nurses there it is not at all unusual and most children eventually manage the situation themselves. Around 6 or 7 is not at all unusual for the boys.

GabriellaG Wed 19-Sep-18 11:34:19

I've no idea as I'm not in the loop for that kind of information, they are older now and live at a distance.
My chidren were dry at 2.5 or possibly earlier. No late drinks or wet beds thank goodness. Looking back, I realise that they were text book. No waking nights or tantrums. Yeah...I was very lucky. blush

Fran0251 Wed 19-Sep-18 11:38:55

GranLou, when my son was older than yours he changed school and started bed wetting again. I solved it for both of us by putting a plastic sheet across his bed over the bed sheet and then putting another sheet on top. Clean pyjamas on the floor. When he wet the bed and woke up wet feeling very uncomfortable he just pulled the top sheet off his bed, put on the dry pyjamas and went back to sleep. No fuss, I just picked up and washed the damp pyjamas in the morning. He stopped feeling bad about it, I had a full night's sleep and I don't remember how long it went on but obviously not that long.

mabon1 Wed 19-Sep-18 11:39:19

Stop being anxious about such a thing. Children vary but my three sons were dry by three, but one of my grandsons was 7 years of age.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Sep-18 11:50:40

One daughter was 11y. The other dry at night at 21 months! Grandson is 6y and still in pull-ups.

curlilox Wed 19-Sep-18 11:56:49

My grandson is 7 (nearly 8) and still in pull ups.

GabriellaG Wed 19-Sep-18 12:02:26

chidren blushchildren smile

jevive73 Wed 19-Sep-18 12:07:51

B9exchange Wed 19-Sep-18 12:12:37

I do think it depends a lot on how deeply they sleep. I had one son dry day and night at 20 months (unbelievable, but gobsmackingly true!) and one not till aged 10. The former was a really bad sleeper (still is) the latter one was a very deep sleeper, and although we lifted him at 11.00 pm, he still didn't wake up enough to realise he needed to go after that.

Grandchildren all dry by age 6, but none of them sleep that heavily!

Dogsjj Wed 19-Sep-18 12:14:01

My grandson is 12 and and still occasionally wets the bed. Then his father confessed that he had wet the bed into his late teens, so obviously hereditary. Hopefully he will grow out of it soon, but his parents still give him a drink before he goes to bed!

knickas63 Wed 19-Sep-18 12:34:15

My older two for 6 & 5! The younger one 4. Varies from child to child, but not really an issue. It will happen when they are ready.