Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Saying words wrong

(97 Posts)
lynda1965 Mon 24-Sep-18 11:56:30

I was waiting for my youngest GS 22 months old to start calling me "Granny" with baited breath.

At last he is, but it's coming out "Fanny" blush.
Oh dear be careful what you wish for as they say.

NudeJude Tue 25-Sep-18 18:41:01

My daughter called her Granddad "Gassa", then one of my granddaughters, called Pinochio "Smokey nose", but the worst one was when oldest granddaughter aged about 3, in the build up to Christmas, kept pointing at the window and saying "fukalees" getting louder and louder the more frustrated she got, we finally worked out that she was pointing at some glitter in the window, which we called "Sparklies" when talking to her, had me and my daughter in stitches!

icanhandthemback Tue 25-Sep-18 19:02:55

Whenever we went on holiday my son used to get excited about staying in a Heltel! A couple of them were. grin

Daisyboots Tue 25-Sep-18 19:16:48

I was standing at the bus stop with my then 2.5 year old daughter when she announced to the man standing next to us that we were going to Australia to live in a bunghole. His face was a picture. What she meant was a bungalow. One of my adopted daughters aged 4 used to ask for a hoggit and meant yoghurt.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 25-Sep-18 19:36:48

My gd use to say tom a toes and we still say it. Also the equator was pronounced e quat toe.

annodomini Tue 25-Sep-18 20:29:40

When I was a toddler, a boiled egg was 'a egg in a box'. My sister called marmalade 'ambadade' and the shreds were 'marmles' - a name adopted by the whole family. My DS1 had 'bomanas and bapples' - and 'peetot'.

Menopaws Tue 25-Sep-18 21:08:30

Ye ye yumps was my daughters name for elephants and I always wore a gown dress over my jarmers

Glosgran Tue 25-Sep-18 21:21:54

When my son was 3 years old he came home from a playdate with his friend Christopher. He said that Chris was excited because his 2 cousins were coming to stay. I knew that there was only one cousin in the family so I told him that Chris only had one cousin.

"No", he said, "there's definitely two cousins - they're Dom and Nick!"

As you've probably guessed, the cousin was called Dominic.

Jillyblom59 Tue 25-Sep-18 21:41:38

My daughter wanted an upstairs downstairs cozimashoom..........a bikini!

sluttygran Tue 25-Sep-18 22:56:42

My son used to call caterpillars ‘patterdiddlers’ , and when looking out at a field of cows, he shouted: “Look at dose woolly-moo-baas! “

Terri823 Tue 25-Sep-18 23:01:55

Having just become grandparents last Friday, we are looking forward to hearing our grandson Freddie ‘s words. The favourite from my son was hush cog for hedgehog

Apricity Wed 26-Sep-18 00:52:01

Granddaughter aged abt 4 looked at grandpa who is known for eccentric dressing and laughingly said " Granpa you look dericulous! " The word was so apt and is still used in the family.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 26-Sep-18 08:12:18

I love Raggy. I'm still Tatty to my grownup GC

narrowboatnan Thu 27-Sep-18 09:03:21

I can remember when my DGS (now aged 8) asked me for a burple loon. He was 2 at the time and fascinated by balloons ? and wanted a purple one.

ninathenana Thu 27-Sep-18 11:51:04

Lamanors are 6 yr old DGS favourite dogs. Especially nocnot ones grin

Chocolate labrabors

He is waiting for op on cleft palate bless him.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 30-Sep-18 18:21:13

Ninathenana... lovely, bless him

GrannyIris5 Tue 20-Nov-18 10:50:58

My eldest son, now 42, on seeing his first set of twins as a child said oh snap babies. If his shirt wasn’t tucked in it was ‘tucked out’.

Lynne59 Tue 20-Nov-18 11:02:11

My 4yr old GD said she saw some aminals at the farm, and one was a firrel (squirrel)

Franbern Fri 23-Nov-18 13:58:07

When my niece was about 4 years old, and Dr. Who and the Daleks were on tv, she stood in front of the screen and said, clearly 'Dardeks go home'. She is now well into her forties, but the whole family still refers to Dardeks.
She also invented the phrase 'burgled eggs' (boiled eggs), and again, that has become part of the family vocabulairy.

NannyJan53 Fri 23-Nov-18 14:32:08

When my son was a toddler, we had an infestation of Earwigs, he called them Wink a Winks! That name has stuck over 40 years on smile

BBbevan Fri 23-Nov-18 15:11:20

My children called my mother Black Mam' , as she had very dark hair. However they called DHs mother ' Green Mum'. No idea why.

Jobey68 Sat 24-Nov-18 21:20:59

My eldest son when he was about 2 was startled by a butterfly when it landed on his football, he ran to me crying and I said it's ok it's only a butterfly, his reply was me no like "Buttie Eyes" mummy! He's 29 now and he still hates Buttie Eyes, we now have his little girl pointing to a print on our wall with butterfly's on when we ask her where the Buttie eyes are!
My little great niece calls caterpillars Patabibbas and her dummy is a nummia, she calls my husband Bubby as her mummy has always called him Big Bully so she thinks his name is bubby, it's adorable and far too cute to correct so we all use her language and in our house a butterfly will forever be known as a Buttie Eye! ??