Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Please reassure me

(32 Posts)
britgran Mon 15-Oct-18 22:00:41

Hello everybody, I've posted before about the trials and tribulations about my youngest son, but I'm at my wits end.....to cut a long story shortish my son is 43 he has had Anorexia Bulimia for 20 years ( starves binge eats vomits ) there's nothing I don't know about this eating disorder, his first marriage ended because of it and it looks like his second marriage is going the same way, we have a beautiful 18 yr old GD from his first marriage and two delightful GDs from the second marriage, he is talking about leaving his present wife and I know his reasons are lies, he so badly needs counselling but won't accept he has a mental illness, I know as his mother I must be there for him but to be honest I despise men like him, he has quit counselling so many times that I'd be surprised if it's offered again, how do I help him, I will always be here for my beautiful GDs , but I'm struggling to support my son

M0nica Wed 17-Oct-18 19:16:31

*britgran flowers, that is all I can offer, things like this have to work themselves through, but it is so hard on the family who have to cope with it.

britgran Fri 19-Oct-18 18:18:39

Another update he saw the doctor today and has been diagnosed with Bipolar , he has to start different medication as he had been prescribed anti depressants in the past and he and his wife go to relate, fingers crossed for us all

M0nica Fri 19-Oct-18 20:42:10

britgran, you said you thought he was bipolar, it is good that this has now been recognised. I do hope that, whatever the result, talking to Relate can help your DS and his wife.

Luckygirl Fri 19-Oct-18 20:45:52

I think that annie's advice is spot on - despise the illness but not the man. He is clearly very unwell and I am sorry that you are having to struggle with the consequences of that.

Try this link: www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/family-and-friends/parents

britgran Sat 20-Oct-18 09:58:30

@Luckygirl thank you I looked at that site and have bought the book The Parents Guide to Eating Disorders so will have some interesting reading ahead of me I now have to educate myself about Bipolar ......I think there's not much I don't know about Anorexia/Bulimia but I still struggle to understand it, I just know my lovely caring funny son is still in there, he surfaces occasionally, so glad I have you lovely people to confide in, it's as good as any therapy xx

britgran Thu 25-Oct-18 10:41:57

Another pack of lies, when I looked into Bipolar diagnosis the patient is referred to a psychiatrist, when I asked him about it he backtracked and said the GP said he might be Bipolar and gave him different anti depressants, from what I've been reading Bipolar isn't treated with antidepressants as they can make the moods hyper manic, how on earth he holds down a good job is beyond me, sadly I can't see his wife putting up with this much longer. Perhaps I should just get used to it and come to terms with this is my lot in life but it's so dragging me down