Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Bi-Polar DIL wants grandson medicated too

(53 Posts)
Hiimrene Wed 05-Dec-18 08:03:23

My DIL is diagnosed bi-polar and pretty mellow if she takes her meds but off she becomes verbally abusive to my son and grandson. She sees to my grandson's basic needs but has the nurturing skills of a rock. When she becomes flustered or feels threatened in her mind she can't shut up. My grandson used to be a polite happy little guy up to the age of 5 but has become an angry child since she started taking him to a psych and insisted he be medicated too. Twice she insisted her doctor up his medication and he's been in trouble at school ever since. My son can not get off work to attend the psych visits so he goes off of my DIL's word. My grandson is now 8, lives 6 hours away, and I see him about 10-15 times a year. I moved to OKC to be near him several years ago, stayed a year, then moved back to KCMO because I couldn't stand my DIL. My grandson hates his mother but lives his dad. Any have any suggestions? I don't want to loose my grandson.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Dec-18 19:46:41

No problem I just wondered where that came from ?

agnurse Mon 10-Dec-18 19:43:18

BlueBelle

I'm so sorry; you're quite correct. I was directing it at Buffy.

agnurse Mon 10-Dec-18 19:42:46

Smileless

In an abusive situation it is best left to the experts. It's not as simple as LTB; this can put the victim at serious risk. The victim also has to be willing to leave the abuser. Contact with their parents can cause the abuse to escalate. Statistically the victim is at greatest risk when he or she tries to leave. If the victim goes to the parent's home, that's likely to be the first place the abuser will look for them. This can put the entire family at risk. It is safer for the victim to go to a shelter where there are experts in dealing with abusive situations. Abuse is incredibly complex.

Moreover, what happens if the AC and the abuser reconcile? What is the parent to do then?

I get that parents want to protect their children. What I'm saying is that parents must accept that their children are now adults. Presumably the parents have raised their children to be functional. Adults look after their own relationship issues, or they seek an objective third-party to help.

Anniebach Mon 10-Dec-18 18:29:07

And surely in 2018 we do not think of anyone suffering Bi-polar ‘ a nutter’

BlueBelle Mon 10-Dec-18 18:28:22

Agnurse why did you direct your post at me I didn’t say anything about adult children talking to parents I think you are mistaking me for Buffys post

Smileless2012 Mon 10-Dec-18 18:00:38

So what happens when a child becomes an adult then agnurse? Are they supposed to no longer confide in their parents? And what are parents supposed to do if God forbid their AC is in an abusive relationship; just walk away because it's none of their business and they shouldn't get involved?

What rubbish. Some parents have the maturity to see when their AC is in the wrong and the common sense not to condone unacceptable behaviour.

You don't cease to be a parent, someone to be confided in and to offer common sense advice, when your child becomes and adult.

agnurse Mon 10-Dec-18 16:52:11

BlueBelle

An AC should NEVER get parents involved in a relationship issue, and parents should NEVER get involved in their AC's relationships. A parent's instinct will always be to protect a child - even if the child is in the wrong.

If there is something this seriously wrong, he needs to see a counselor and possibly a solicitor.

Buffybee Mon 10-Dec-18 14:52:30

Bluebell, it may have been when I read that,
a very smart judge that didn't buy her stories when she tried a surprise divorce attempt to take my grandson away from my son. And the fact that OP was going this weekend to visit her Dgs, I presumed that her Dgs lived with her Son at weekends.
If OP comes back, perhaps we can clarify this point.

Anniebach Mon 10-Dec-18 13:41:56

I agree BlueBelle, the girl attempts to take her life and is dismissed as ‘nutter’

BlueBelle Mon 10-Dec-18 13:28:51

Buffy please show me where it says the father and mother live separately and that the child goes between the two homes I totally missed that and can’t find it now and as the father was ‘loading’ her in the ambulance after her suicide attempt it sounded as if he was with her and did he go in the ambulance and hospital with her as Poster seems to know all the details of every conversation during that period so someone must have been with her to relate it all back
I m afraid the more I read the more I feel sorry for the girl and think she may have a very difficult time There appears absolutely no understanding of mental health coming from the poster and indeed some very nasty coarse comments

Buffybee Mon 10-Dec-18 13:14:15

Anniebach, OP stated that the Son and Dil are not together and the child lives between them.

Anniebach Mon 10-Dec-18 12:42:08

If the son repeated to the O/P all that allegedly took place in the hospital he seems to care little about the poor girl

Buffybee Mon 10-Dec-18 12:26:25

agnurse, what right have you to say that a Son should not confide in his own Mother.
You say, Its HIS family, HIS business, HIS marriage. Not yours.
I'm sure that the OP is well aware of this but if a family member wishes to confide in his Mother, that is his choice and quite honestly, nothing to do with you.

agnurse Sun 09-Dec-18 20:37:23

While I understand that you're concerned about your GS, the reality is that this is NOT ABOUT YOU. This is about your SON. Where is HE in his son's life?

You don't seem to really understand mental illness. It's often not as simple as it appears to be. You can't see into your DIL's head. You don't know what's really going on for her. If you're antagonistic toward her that's going to create added stress, which is exactly what she does NOT need.

Really, your son shouldn't even be telling you all of this. It's HIS family. HIS business. HIS marriage. Not yours.

M0nica Sun 09-Dec-18 20:21:54

Of course dr takes moms words over child

No reputable doctor would do that, particularly when the problem is mental. A good doctor would listen very carefully to the child and probably talk to them alone without the presence of their mother. In the UK the child would also have a lengthy assessment before any decision to prescribed medication was made.

Anniebach Sun 09-Dec-18 10:06:36

If your son was with your grandson, who was in the ambulance with the poor girl and with her in the hospital? must have been someone very close to have been present when she was receiving treatment and then repeat every detail to you

sodapop Sun 09-Dec-18 09:00:35

What BlueBelle said - sorry.

BlueBelle Sun 09-Dec-18 08:54:51

I m sorry but for a person with a law degree your narrative is dreadful You describes her as nutty say you ve seen her nut up son was a basketcase Talking of her suicide attempt ^ I call BS^ Then I told her there d be no place in hell she could hide from me and this is the way you would talk to a mentally ill lady ? You say you are retired law enforcement well seemingly your knowledge of mental illness is so limited that it is good you are retired

I have no understanding of why, if you are so concerned about your grandson you would move 6 hour drive away just because you don’t get on with his mother, that just makes no sense at all
As others have said children aren’t medicated or diagnosed or have their medication ‘upped’ on a mother’s whim or say so the child has to be fully assessed and talked to away from the parent requests That I m afraid is just your superstition

If this poor lady is as ill as you make out her husband needs to be much more proactive I see he has now made an appointment but what’s he been waiting for ? This seems to have been going on for years
You do not come across as helping in a calm manner but seem to be fanning flames wherever possible in your quest to get at this woman
I hope your grandson gets the help he needs

Buffybee Sun 09-Dec-18 07:52:19

I presume Logan was with his Dad when this all happened.
Do you think that this "attempt" may be in reaction to you going to your Gs's next Psych appointment with her?
If so it looks like she may have something to hide, regarding having Logan being given these drugs, on her say so.
Its strange that she won't have her parents informed as "she has an image to uphold". What on earth is that supposed to mean, with her own parents? This is all very odd and dysfunctional!
Whatever! I would make sure that you still go to this psych appointment with Logan and see what is being said.
I also believe that Logan would be better off with his Dad at this time if you could help him with it. I also think that your Son should tell her parents what has happened, it may take some of the pressure off you and your son of they get involved.
What a worry for you!

Davidhs Sun 09-Dec-18 07:14:30

Sorry to hear of your families problems, grandparents don't really have any rights in the UK either, all you can do is support your son. If you lived closer to them it would be easier, making sure your DIL takes her medication and provides a stable home for their son.
The only way forward is for your son to take charge of the situation, probably in conjunction with social services

Hiimrene Sun 09-Dec-18 02:20:12

and the saga continues...DIL tried to commit suicide today. Son called as ambulance was just loading her and he was a basketcase. I call BS. She's been threatening suicide since we met with 1st time when she was 4 months pregnant. I told her if she harmed the child there would be no place in Hell she could hide from me because I'd find her. I meant it then, I mean it now. My life is so minuscule to that of my family and especially a child, any child. I have offered her help, I moved to Oklahoma for a year to give the parents every weekend off, I drive 600 miles every other month so my grandson has a weekend to be a normal kid. I've never missed a holiday, birthday, grandparent day, and driven up and back in the same day just to spend an hour with him because I was being "punished" for something or another and that's all the DIL would allow. As far as her suicide attempt, she appeared groggy but clearly named 4 types of medications and dosages but all pills were recently refilled and accounted for. If she has been hoarding them, that's on her. In the ambulance they mentioned pumping her stomach where again she regained composure enough to sit up enough to inform them she made herself throw up before the ambulance arrived. At the hospital the mentioned giving her charcoal but again there goes the groggy self to reassuring not necessary and ready to go home. Smart dr put the brakes on that and put a 76 hour hold on her and mandatory psych evaluation. She refuses to have her mom called because she has, "an image to uphold", whatever that means. I want that child outta there yesterday! What happens when Logan is home alone with his mom and she tries this again? What happens if she feels threatened and decides if she can't have him, no one is going to have him? Either she takes of with him or something worse. The worse part is, Oklahoma doesn't have grandparents rights to protect me, Logan, or help my son.

Hiimrene Sat 08-Dec-18 18:56:16

thank you but I don't get ruffled to easily! Too many years working in a prison with the populations finest I guess!

Hiimrene Sat 08-Dec-18 18:53:29

thought of that but if I go to social services he'll be put in foster care until a hearing. Guess I should have said I'm retired law enforcement and have a law degree but never took the bar. I could eventually get custody but that's taking custody from my son as well. Son and father get along great, it's mom that Logan sets everyone off. She is also very jealous of my relationship with Logan but I can't, or won't, do anything about that. I also have asked if they would go to a clergy but no luck there either.

Hiimrene Sat 08-Dec-18 18:45:28

I'm sorry, yes Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OKC) is a 5 1/2 almost straight south drive from Kansas City, Missouri (KCMO). Kansas City, Kansas (KCK) and Kansas City, Missouri (KCMO) are separated by the Kansas and Missouri rivers winding through the two cities. I get confused just driving on the highways and constantly end up in the wrong state so don't feel bad!

Hiimrene Sat 08-Dec-18 18:36:44

I agree. I normally stay out of all my children's parenting because, frankly, I want to be the grandma and just spoil them when I want to. But this DIL is nutty, literally. She recently came back from visit her parents and made the comment that at her parents house Logan has to use his "perfect" manners because at nana's house only perfect manners are allowed. The kid is 8 and perfection isn't reality, especially when the mother has yet to attain it but after that statement, I understand my DIL better. I've personally witnessed her lose control of reality several times when she can't control a situation so I know she needs medical help. I'm around this child quite often for varied lengths of time and have never seen him display the symptoms she describes. She wants a perfect child as she was supposed to be. She doesn't have a sincere loving desire to be a mother and used to tell me so. She never wanted to be a mother but would never give Logan up now because she'd be a failure to her mom. I have to get involved, he's my grandson.