Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Tanit, goddess of fertility

(35 Posts)
Mumsyface Thu 03-Jan-19 23:11:16

This time, please feel free to tell me I’m being silly, crazy, wildly imaginative, whatever.....
A few years ago when I was working in Tunis I visited the archeological site of Carthage. Whilst I was there I bought a pair of silver earrings in the shape of Tanit, an ancient goddess of fertility, from a gift shop. I wore them a lot, as one often does with new jewellery, clothes etc., Lo and behold, both my DILs had babies within a year of my purchasing and wearing the said symbol of fertility.
Son and girlfriend expecting a baby, EDA 11th this month. Spoke on the phone yesterday a and heard all about tired L is, how she can’t sleep, needs to pee all the time etc., as is the norm during last few weeks of pregnancy. Woke up this morning and thought “I’ll wear my Tanit earrings today. Maybe that’ll get things going” - guess what! They’ve spent all afternoon and evening at the hospital! Now I can’t sleep waiting for phone call....

maryeliza54 Thu 03-Jan-19 23:34:14

Really? Really?

Mumsyface Thu 03-Jan-19 23:42:01

Really!
Crazy, or coincidence?

Chewbacca Thu 03-Jan-19 23:45:16

Gosh!

muffinthemoo Fri 04-Jan-19 00:45:51

Wait, wasn't Tanit the goddess for whom child sacrifice was practised in Carthage??

Mumsyface Fri 04-Jan-19 07:01:41

I’ve read a few different versions of this and I rather fancy something may have been lost in translation. To me the two notions of fertility and (usually the first) child sacrifice seem contradictory, but all the sources I’ve read seem to go for both with Tanit. And as for the gift shop......

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 08:21:03

Do you like fluffy or blunt ....oh go on then I ll be blunt,
Load of old tosh

Teetime Fri 04-Jan-19 08:56:38

There are more things in heaven and earth......

NanaandGrampy Fri 04-Jan-19 09:02:27

I always thought it was the wearer that was supposed to benefit from fertility not that it 'rubbed off' on others....

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 09:08:08

Save the NHS millions and millions of pounds, no more IVF, just give a pair of earings

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 09:21:37

???Anniebach love it

mcem Fri 04-Jan-19 09:43:24

At its worst mumsyface it's useless but is harmless and not outrageous.

DS and DiL expect their first baby in April and since her birthday is next week I hope to get out today to buy some earrings with moonstones as they are said to be linked to pregnancy and childbirth.
They can't do any harm, are pretty and wearable and as I see it, make a statement that I want to be supportive.

It's absolutely fine and understandable for posters to be sceptical but I do hope the thread doesn't become nasty as so many have over the last few days.
Keep us up to speed please and good luck to all!

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 10:00:08

I thought that said ‘keep on the speed’ ???
As if an earring can make people pregnant the things some people believe in naive or what I remember when very young in an office situation being told that sitting on a certain chair would make people pregnant ?

Anniebach Fri 04-Jan-19 10:08:07

Reminds me of the custom of giving brides horseshoes on their wedding day , I had several, they didn’t work !

Mumsyface Fri 04-Jan-19 11:11:05

Bluebelle, you could well be right that’s it’s a load of old tosh ?, and I remember all sorts of things to do or not to do around pregnancy from “the bad old days”!
Nanandgrampy - that sounds like casting a spell on someone OMG!
Anniebach, great idea £££.
Still waiting.....and wearing the earrings again today! ?

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 13:17:55

I quite like the mystical side of fertility.
Did anyone hang a needle on cotton over their belly to 'dowse' the baby's sex?

lemongrove Fri 04-Jan-19 13:36:46

Well Mumsy if you like to think that tourist ear rings from Carthage can do anything magical that is up to you.
Carthage itself didn’t have much luck though did it, just a pile of stones now ( I fell over a stone there, so don’t feel too kindly towards the place) grin
Now....if you had told us that you were expecting a baby since you wore them....??????????

MissAdventure Fri 04-Jan-19 13:40:16

At 'Ripley's Believe It Or Not' in Blackpool there was a fertility figure of some kind.
People would travel from all over to go there, and thought it was worth a try..

Mumsyface Fri 04-Jan-19 13:43:37

Hi Lemongrove - at 64 that would be a miracle, wouldn’t it!

BlueBelle Fri 04-Jan-19 13:47:38

Ahh but earrings have no age limits Mumsyface just out of curiosity what is a mumsyface ?

SueDonim Fri 04-Jan-19 14:07:00

When I lived in West Africa I acquired a set of traditional carved fertility figures. Since then, I've also acquired five grandchildren! A-mazing! grin

Mumsyface Fri 04-Jan-19 14:09:29

Bluebelle , it’s what my sons called me, as teenagers, when I was worrying to obviously about them.

SueDomin - yes, indeed! ?

Grammaretto Fri 04-Jan-19 14:26:39

Is there any harm in having something to pray to?
I know of a Buddhist temple where pilgrims go to pray for a child. The locals refuse to enter as they already have enough children.
Mind you, they used to burn witches not 100yds from where I sit, until the 1700s.

Farmor15 Fri 04-Jan-19 14:42:42

I was given a little carved figure of a boy by my mother-in-law when we got married, and 1st baby arrived 9 months later grin. After 5 children we decided maybe we should hide it and haven't seen it for years. Wonder every now and then where it got too...................?

trisher Fri 04-Jan-19 14:51:02

Well a few years ago I was holidaying in Tunis and wanted to visit Carthage, but couldn't because it was considered unsafe after a terror attack. Since then my DIL has had two babies. Coincidence???