Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

A few minutes of joyfulness

(41 Posts)
PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 18:17:14

In my kitchen making peanut butter cookies for DGC tomorrow when there was a knock on the door. DGD1 calling in on her way home from school. She had left her door keys in her other coat pocket so could she borrow mine? And then before I could answer , she wittered on about school, her exams, what should she choose to do for GCSE , should she be an architect or a paediatrician and would that make a difference to her course choices! She had a drink, took the cookies out of the oven and put them on the cooling racks. It was a shame she can't do Home Economics too....witter witter witter. Then the clasdic line, ," Nana, is this all you doball day..bake?" I bundled her into the car & dropped her at her home! Love her to pieces!

PECS Tue 29-Jan-19 23:00:10

Nanny41 it will be a while until she has to decide.. well 5 yrs! Medicine has been in her sights for a while but I am not sure she will go that route.. she does enjoy, and is quite good at maths and science but is also a keen footballer and loves drama! Who knows what the future will hold for her and her class mates!

Chucky Tue 29-Jan-19 17:34:19

Lovely when they are happy to spend time with you, baking all day would be an incentive to my dgcs. Lol??
Your dgd sounds like a lovely breath of fresh air, hopefully she won’t change as she gets older. You are very lucky.

Legs55 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:33:22

It's lovely when they're grown up enough to come & see you on their own, precious memoriessmile

GreenGran78 Tue 29-Jan-19 17:27:05

I have to be satisfied with internet 'drop-ins' from my little Aussie GD. She will be 2 in a few weeks, but can chatter away with the best of them! I love and miss her so much. Thank heavens for social media!
My UK GD, who is 19, dropped by with a bunch of flowers for me, last week. She is doing a law degree, and works part-time in Asda. When I exclaimed at the unexpected gift, she owned up that they had been reduced to 10p, as they had reached their sell-by date. They meant as much to me as if they had been £10 (their original price) and lasted for a whole week!

gerry86 Tue 29-Jan-19 16:19:17

I do hope my grandchildren will drop in unannounced when they are older, you're so lucky.

Nanny41 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:57:18

PECS please let us know in a few years what she has chosen if she is an architect or a paediatrician on the scale, far off from one another.I love her choices.

Millie22 Tue 29-Jan-19 15:41:18

Aww just lovely ?

kwest Tue 29-Jan-19 14:40:55

How lovely. We are going down south to look after our grandchildren for the weekend while their parents have two days and one night away to celebrate their wedding anniversary. It will be their first night out together for a year.
I don't know who is more excited, them or us.

KatyK Tue 29-Jan-19 14:28:41

It's lovely when they actually choose to come. Before she went to uni, after she passed her driving test, our DGD would often ring and say 'can I pop in?'. Lovely smile

CrazyGrandma2 Tue 29-Jan-19 14:17:37

Always good to read positive life affirming threads to help counter all the doom and gloom. Thanks PECS.

Destin Tue 29-Jan-19 13:47:25

That’s a precious Granma story....you should feel good that you’re her rock.

Willow500 Tue 29-Jan-19 12:24:54

How lovely that she didn't just pick your keys up and run but chose to stay and spend time with you telling you all about her day - I bet she loved the biscuits and being with her gran smile

My sons used to do this to my parents on their way home from school as they only lived a few doors away and they loved their chatter. My eldest GD will always call in with her boyfriend if they are up this way but as they live two hours away I've never had either her or her sister just drop in on the way back from school. Their dad has occasionally called if he's been on the road which is always a lovely surprise.

inishowen Tue 29-Jan-19 12:06:46

Such joy a granddaughter can give. I had my seven year old GD yesterday. I commented that she had lovely blue eyes. She replied "Blue is my favourite colour, so I'm really lucky that every time I look in the mirror I see blue". Made me smile.

Margs Tue 29-Jan-19 11:27:49

And this was all without her nose being glued to an iPhone. She's a rare 'un!

Nice.

luluaugust Tue 29-Jan-19 10:42:25

A lovely post. Mine are a little to far away to pop in on their own yet but chatting to them always cheers me up.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 10:36:07

What a heartwarming post indeed and thank you for sharing it with us. Just delightful.

olliebeak Tue 29-Jan-19 10:23:01

Isn't it lovely when you find that a grandchild will CHOOSE to spend time with you .................. without having to be brought for a visit by their parent :-D.

My eldest DGD is away at Uni (part way through her 2nd year), so isn't always around these days, but it's lovely to get a phonecall or text to say 'Hello. Are you in/busy? Can I call round or stay the night? Can you meet me for coffee/lunch?' Her boyfriend and her friends call out 'Hello Narnie!' when she's on the phone to me - I am SO PROUD of the wonderful girl that she's grown up to be and the lovely friends that she has around her.

Coolgran65 Tue 29-Jan-19 05:32:50

My d's and family come to us for Sunday dinner.
In Saturday past he suggested to his family that we all go out for dinner on Sunday.

Dgd 11 was appalled. We can't do that. Granny's dinners are swesome. Despite ending up.cooking for all (again) I was secretly very pleased..

Just to add that ds and family are appreciative and he does often take us out.

GrandmainOz Mon 28-Jan-19 23:00:34

That's just lovely sunshine

Bathsheba Mon 28-Jan-19 22:34:33

Oh what a lovely little interlude for you Pecs. Spontaneous moments with GC - and indeed DC - are somehow so much more enjoyable than planned visits aren't they? They just brighten up an otherwise ordinary day ????

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 22:12:31

Thank you PECS

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 21:18:50

Sometimes I have pangs of regret, when friends have new grandchildren, that I won't have that baby experience again but then have a moment like to day and I know there are new experiences and fun to come that are just as precious!

grannyactivist Mon 28-Jan-19 21:05:58

Those incidental moments with grandchildren are just delightful PECS. smile

Grannybags Mon 28-Jan-19 21:01:24

How lovely! Can't wait for mine to be old enough to pop round by themselves smile

Bikerhiker Mon 28-Jan-19 20:57:54

Absolutely precious! Something money could not buy.