Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

A few minutes of joyfulness

(40 Posts)
PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 18:17:14

In my kitchen making peanut butter cookies for DGC tomorrow when there was a knock on the door. DGD1 calling in on her way home from school. She had left her door keys in her other coat pocket so could she borrow mine? And then before I could answer , she wittered on about school, her exams, what should she choose to do for GCSE , should she be an architect or a paediatrician and would that make a difference to her course choices! She had a drink, took the cookies out of the oven and put them on the cooling racks. It was a shame she can't do Home Economics too....witter witter witter. Then the clasdic line, ," Nana, is this all you doball day..bake?" I bundled her into the car & dropped her at her home! Love her to pieces!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 28-Jan-19 18:23:53

What a lovely surprise PECS!

KatyK Mon 28-Jan-19 18:27:31

How lovely. My DD complains that DGD never stops talking. I said 'I know, isn't it wonderful?' She's at university now and we miss her SO much.

Iam64 Mon 28-Jan-19 18:28:05

What a great thing to happen PECS. Thanks for your post, it's so cheering and life affirming.

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Jan-19 18:32:27

How lovely!
(did she test the cookies?)

megan123 Mon 28-Jan-19 18:47:09

I can imagine why PECS. She lightened your life today and many others on here who read your lovely post.

tiredoldwoman Mon 28-Jan-19 18:50:28

Your lovely story brought tears to my eyes . Isn't it wonderful how something so spontaneous , unexpected and simple can give you the most joy ? It's nice when they blether about their day , sharing things with you . She sounds like a super girl .

tanith Mon 28-Jan-19 18:56:23

How lovely she sounds very special lucky Grandma.

nanaK54 Mon 28-Jan-19 19:05:32

A real 'magic moment' thanks for sharing

Annapops Mon 28-Jan-19 19:26:08

How lovely. Such a happy and tender moment in time. My smile today came when my little two year old GD looked at her mammy's graduation photo and remarked "Mammy is a pirate". It made me chuckle for the rest of the day. Priceless.

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 19:29:33

Must be peanut cookie day! Just made some too for grandchildren.

What recipe do you use PECS as I’ve lost my original and today’s was way too sweet?

sodapop Mon 28-Jan-19 19:42:42

Nice to hear a happy story PECS sounds like you have a good relationship with your granddaughter. What a lovely life you have just baking all day smile

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 19:55:09

Anja it was from the Hummingbird Recipe Book that my DGSs gave me!
englishrosefrommanchester.com/2013/05/04/chewy-peanut-butter-and-chocolate-cookies/

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 19:56:25

* sodapop* ???

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 19:59:36

Thanks all for you kind comments! She is a very funny person & on that cusp of young womanhood.

Bikerhiker Mon 28-Jan-19 20:57:54

Absolutely precious! Something money could not buy.

Grannybags Mon 28-Jan-19 21:01:24

How lovely! Can't wait for mine to be old enough to pop round by themselves smile

grannyactivist Mon 28-Jan-19 21:05:58

Those incidental moments with grandchildren are just delightful PECS. smile

PECS Mon 28-Jan-19 21:18:50

Sometimes I have pangs of regret, when friends have new grandchildren, that I won't have that baby experience again but then have a moment like to day and I know there are new experiences and fun to come that are just as precious!

Anja Mon 28-Jan-19 22:12:31

Thank you PECS

Bathsheba Mon 28-Jan-19 22:34:33

Oh what a lovely little interlude for you Pecs. Spontaneous moments with GC - and indeed DC - are somehow so much more enjoyable than planned visits aren't they? They just brighten up an otherwise ordinary day ????

GrandmainOz Mon 28-Jan-19 23:00:34

That's just lovely sunshine

Coolgran65 Tue 29-Jan-19 05:32:50

My d's and family come to us for Sunday dinner.
In Saturday past he suggested to his family that we all go out for dinner on Sunday.

Dgd 11 was appalled. We can't do that. Granny's dinners are swesome. Despite ending up.cooking for all (again) I was secretly very pleased..

Just to add that ds and family are appreciative and he does often take us out.

olliebeak Tue 29-Jan-19 10:23:01

Isn't it lovely when you find that a grandchild will CHOOSE to spend time with you .................. without having to be brought for a visit by their parent :-D.

My eldest DGD is away at Uni (part way through her 2nd year), so isn't always around these days, but it's lovely to get a phonecall or text to say 'Hello. Are you in/busy? Can I call round or stay the night? Can you meet me for coffee/lunch?' Her boyfriend and her friends call out 'Hello Narnie!' when she's on the phone to me - I am SO PROUD of the wonderful girl that she's grown up to be and the lovely friends that she has around her.

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 10:36:07

What a heartwarming post indeed and thank you for sharing it with us. Just delightful.