Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

AIBU to ban my 2yr old grandson?

(306 Posts)
ReadyMeals Wed 13-Feb-19 11:14:14

He comes to my house and immediately points out any bit of crumb or fluff on my floor, to make me feel like an inadequate housekeeper. He fetches the dustpan and brush to clean them, which I should feel thankful for, except to add injury to insult he make more mess and mayhem trying to clean than there was already. Would it be unreasonable to stop him visiting until he can accept my home as it is? He turned two last month and has been doing this since he was about 20 months old.

Buffybee Wed 13-Feb-19 12:40:42

I have always made game's of cleaning when I look after the Gc, dusting, polishing (full aerosol), vacuuming and kitchen cupboard fronts, mopping kitchen floor. Hehe!
If you don't want your little cleaning person, you can send him to me Riverwalk!grin

gillybob Wed 13-Feb-19 12:43:32

My DD ( at 2 or 3yrs) popped the fuscha buds on her grandads prized fuscha. He was not very happy, but was still welcome in his garden

Oh funny you should say that Cherry I remember my son and his little friend bringing a handful of buds in the house saying "look what we have found in Mr Smith's front garden mummy........popping flowers" Yikes.

knickas63 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:14:21

My 4 year old GS wanted to know why my house is full of old stuff!

NanaandGrampy Wed 13-Feb-19 13:29:54

Yes ban him indefinitely !!

Because he’s only going to mess things up more, he’ll learn to talk, and run around and want ........gasp.......crayons or paints !!

Save him a lifetime of grief !!

Ps.....all of the above was meant sarcastically !

Madgran77 Wed 13-Feb-19 13:33:35

shock shock shock !!

PECS Wed 13-Feb-19 13:39:27

Either a total ban or get him to a psychiatrist for assessment immediately. To have developed this level of obsessive behaviour by 2 is very worrying indeed. Or never clean and leve it to him to do it all for you grin

KatyK Wed 13-Feb-19 13:46:35

I think it's rather sweet!

Grammaretto Wed 13-Feb-19 13:57:34

A friend visited with her small child and handed me a bunch of autumn crocus. "Oh thank you" I said "how beautiful, we have them in our garden too".
"Had" she replied.

SueDonim Wed 13-Feb-19 14:02:45

He's only two? Then he's an ideal size to pop up your chimney and give it a good sweep, as winter (hopefully) corms to an end!

ReadyMeals Wed 13-Feb-19 14:23:39

Ok on reflection of all the advice I have received here, I think SueDonim is the post that will be most useful going forward ;) Yes it will good to find a use for the little chap :D

HildaW Wed 13-Feb-19 14:30:08

OK I get it.....but methinks we need an 'irony' Smiley, some folks are just to subtle for me.

SueDonim Wed 13-Feb-19 14:34:11

grin Readymeals

annodomini Wed 13-Feb-19 15:32:34

Sadly, I don't think any of my GC are domesticated. They take after me. grin

BlueBelle Wed 13-Feb-19 16:04:15

Ban him from yours and send him round to mine Can’t wait

Nannapat1 Wed 13-Feb-19 16:13:52

Your phrase '...to make me feel like an inadequate housekeeper' made me wonder if this is a serious post. He's 2 years old: get a grip!

Grammaretto Wed 13-Feb-19 16:26:37

I think the post is tongue in cheek. Wouldn't it be lovely to have a little helper though.
I get garden help when our DGC come over. Watering cans are heavy but we have little ones for them. The favourite passtime is filling flowerpots and seed trays with potting compost from a big sack.
Sowing seeds and making labels.
Weeding is too skilled and hard.
Any other suggestions welcome?

Bathsheba Wed 13-Feb-19 16:32:01

I'd train him to use all your cleaning equipment properly, and then hire him out. You could clean up make a fortune!

Bathsheba Wed 13-Feb-19 16:32:58

In the meantime, this may bring a smile smile

Gonegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 16:37:53

Definitely encourage him (what's not to like?) But be very careful. When my GS was about this age I gave him my little furniture polishing mop and he very sweetly went round dusting everywhere.

In the car on the way home he had a mild asthma attack.

Cue Granny suffering lifelong excruciating guilt. ?

Gonegirl Wed 13-Feb-19 16:39:11

(I think the dust must have been in the mop, not around my house!)

megan123 Wed 13-Feb-19 16:42:15

We used to take our granddaughter to our caravan for holidays when she was little and she would always want a damp cloth to wipe everything down. I have lovely pictures of her doing it. That is the farthest thing from her mind now in her own flat!! smile

Marydoll Wed 13-Feb-19 16:47:56

I asssumed it was a tongue in cheek post.grin

If only we had a tongue in cheek icon!

bikergran Wed 13-Feb-19 16:48:19

lol well...a few days ago my GS (age) said he didnt like me, I was not nice etc etc (cos I told him he couldn't have something)!

Anyway a day or so later DD rings me and tell me GS is making and "Electric chair"!! confused worst was to come!! it was for GRANDMA! yikes! He was wrapping selotape round the dining room chair (used the full roll)

I though Oh heck Ive really upset him this time..but the Electric chair !!! I said to DD does he mean theeee electric chair? I thought what on earth has he been watching as we know 4 yrs olds are well beyond their years.I thought naghhhhhhhhh it must be an electric chair as in with remote controls that goes up and down but nope! wasn't that lol it was "A Stair Lift! lol thank goodness for that I was sooooooo relieved lol.

NanaandGrampy Wed 13-Feb-19 17:01:35

Wouldn't it have been so much easier to say - just kidding- or a wry emoticon ?

MawBroon Wed 13-Feb-19 17:12:59

Oh ha ha.
Wondering whether grandparents who don’t ever see their grandchildren for whatever reason were amused?
confused