Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Boasting Rights

(81 Posts)
Granny23 Sat 23-Feb-19 10:59:26

I always understood that while it was considered unacceptable to boast about your own Children, it was generally OK for GPs to boast about their DGC's prowess. I have however had a ticking off on several occasions for mentioning some success or achievement that my DGC have had, as apparently this is disrespectful of the children who have under performed or failed. I believe that all children (and adults) are worthy of praise as long as they have made an effort and done the best they can. Also that I am not entitled to any kudos or reflected glory for what is entirely their own effort.

However there is so much misery, bad news and horror reported these days that I thought a thread, devoted to the happenstances which bring such joy to our lives as Grandparents would be an antidote to the doom and gloom.

All the above is probably just an excuse, as my reason for starting the thread is obviously because I am desperate to tell SOMEBODY my latest piece of Good News as follows.

I had a visit on Wednesday from DD1 and DGS who were bursting to tell me that DGS has been chosen to represent his school as leader of a 4 person quiz team at the County wide championship. Then I had a call on Friday from DD2 to announce that her DD has been selected as leader of HER school's team for the same event.

Needless to say I am delighted. smile grin sunshine

Please feel free to share your own family good stories, cheer us all up.

grannyactivist Sat 23-Feb-19 11:05:23

Granny23 what lovely news to share. Well done those grandchildren. smile

My husband's family are wonderful people, but take humility to new heights, or should that be lows? Enter me, stage left, and I blow the family trumpet as hard and as often as I can. I celebrate every small achievement and lavish praise wherever I can. grin

Cherrytree59 Sat 23-Feb-19 11:22:00

I have grandsons with various health issues.
However small the achievment,it is huge step forward for the child and I for one will praise from the roof top.

Every child and young adult deserves someone in their a corner to praise and wave the flag.
cheerleaders r us

kittylester Sat 23-Feb-19 11:24:28

Me too, ga.

Granny23 that is fabulous but please tell me they are not going to be battling against each other?

I have one friend who will revel in my doc's successes and their funny moments. It must get quite wearing for her as I have 9 wonderful dgc and she has only 1! gringrin

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 12:26:01

No I disagree. Sorry.
Boasting isn’t a nice trait. I know we all love and are proud of the achievements of our grandchildren (however small) but trust me, listening to other grans ‘showing off’ is toe curling. I have one friend who does it constantly and it’s boring and a turn off. Her little princess. I could say (more actually) about our grandchildren but don’t as it would sound competitive. Don’t do it grandmas!

That’s not to say we don’t sing their praises, sometimes in front of them, amongst the family (only).

Greenfinch Sat 23-Feb-19 12:44:44

There is a difference between praising the child and boasting about him/her to others.I have a very close friend who has no grandchildren of her own but will frequently ask me about mine. Only then will I allow myself to sing their praises.Well she does ask !

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 12:47:35

I make sure never to enquire. smile

sunseeker Sat 23-Feb-19 12:49:28

I didn't have children, so no grandchildren. I am perfectly happy for people to tell me about their grandchildren and their achievements. I don't look on it as boastful.

The only times I find it irksome is when I am in a group and the conversation is solely about grandchildren with any attempt to change the topic of conversation ignored, leaving me sitting on the outskirts silent and ignored.

Urmstongran Sat 23-Feb-19 12:49:31

Love it MissA ???

sunseeker Sat 23-Feb-19 12:50:25

By the way Granny23 congratulations to your grandchildren - will it be possible for both of them to win!

grannyactivist Sat 23-Feb-19 13:03:22

This is such a subjective issue and it certainly touches my emotions. I spent my whole childhood being 'invisible' to my family; no praise, no encouragement, no acknowledgement of a job well done. I remember determining that I would make darn sure that my children would know I was rooting for them no matter what.

I've said many times on this forum how much I love my parents-in-law, but they absolutely drummed into their children that being boastful was only marginally better than being a serial killer of small babies. Consequently I have had to teach, cajole and encourage my husband into actually celebrating his (many grin) achievements. Our sons have similarly inherited (?) a natural tendency to self-effacement and so rather than blowing their own trumpets I admit I tend to do it for them. But not too much, well I don't think I do.........hmm wanders off with worried frown.
(If the second para looks familiar, it was cut and pasted from an earlier post I wrote on this subject.) [Lazybones]

Granny23 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:03:38

Sunseeker grin No their teams cannot both win, though they could easily both lose! I think there will be around a dozen schools taking part.

paddyann Sat 23-Feb-19 13:08:20

Granny23 my daughter made me a little photo album when her two were little it had embossed on the cover "Granny's boasting book" I loved it and regularly showed it to friends .I have to admit as the 2 became 3 then 4 I didn't take the book in my bag as I'm sure other people would have been bored silly by my beautiful photographs .I do tell eople how well they're doing,particularly as they have quite a difficult life with a seriously ill mum .They are little stars.

EllanVannin Sat 23-Feb-19 13:35:59

Aww paddyann, I too have an album of my 7 GGC which was " put together " in the States when my D was there using pics from her phone. I carry it in my handbag and have shown it to one or two people but not being a very boastful individual ( wish I was ) I admit to them being beautiful looking children and the eldest twin girl, when she was 11 had sang at the school Christmas concert and reduced some of the teachers to tears with her voice as nobody knew where it had come from. So powerful. It was all the more poignant at the time because her father was very sick suffering from blood cancer and her resilience to get up and sing was remarkable.

grannysue05 Sat 23-Feb-19 13:45:01

Nobody seems to be boasting as per the OP.
So....I will...Two of my five GC's have no Mum.
She walked out eight years ago and left them aged 8 months and 4 years.
Now Mothers Day is coming round again soon and I know that they will send me The Best Grandma in the World card.
I always feel so proud of them as they have learned to do without the person that every child should have in their lives.

Bridgeit Sat 23-Feb-19 16:48:29

Big hugs grannysue05,
That’s lovely paddyann, what a great title.
I love to hear mine excitedly shout - Granma is here -

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:22:46

Right. Here is my bosting about DGS. (Always happy to do it)

After the 'No Planet B' demo in London my elder GS was asked to do a piece for the school magazine. The Head Teacher is so pleased it will be shown on screens all round the school.

Same GS has recently formed a band with two others and have a number of gigs lined up around London. He has had his hair cut too, even if it was by his best mate who has no experience at all of hair-cutting. But, they viewed a You Tube video, so that's alright. (Haven't seen the result yet)

Was in music shop with younger GS yesterday and he played so well on the bass guitar and the piano. Admiring glances from other customers.

Could go on. They are amazing. (And so good looking)

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 17:28:41

Every grandparent I know (including me) boasts about their grandchildren. My DGD is stunningly beautiful, kind and incredibly clever. grin

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:32:11

She sounds wonderful KatyK. smile

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 17:43:21

And all true! grin

Gonegirl Sat 23-Feb-19 17:44:41

Yes! I know! Same as mine. smile

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 17:49:04

smile

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 17:52:07

I don't think it's boasting with most grandparents. Seriously, I hope I don't boast. We are all proud of our grandchildren. When I told a friend I was going to be a gran, she said 'oh how awful. I would hate that'. Now she has four grandchildren and she is besotted.

KatyK Sat 23-Feb-19 17:54:33

Lovely news Granny23

annodomini Sat 23-Feb-19 17:56:02

Proud as I am of my GC, I wouldn't want to brag about the achievements of one or another because I don't want to encourage a spirit of competition between the two families. When I was young, it always irritated me when my granny sang the praises of my more musical cousins. I don't know if she told them about any achievements by me and my sisters!