Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Drinking on duty

(18 Posts)
Barmeyoldbat Sun 03-Mar-19 16:56:24

As they were drinking what appears to be over the driving limit my thoughts are that the parents are picking them up. We always use to have wine or beer at meal times when the gc came over. They all knew how to dial 999 if we fell over!

GrandmainOz Wed 27-Feb-19 05:49:45

I stopped drinking during one of my DD's pregnancy as she had multiple quite serious problems which always seemed to happen at night, requiring someone to drive her to hospital. Baby is 2 and a half now, but I just seemed to lose the taste for alcohol and never resumed drinking. Not a crusade to stop at all. But I would be very wary of being over the limit when babysitting if I still drank. Grandpa doesn't give a fig of course confused

BlueBelle Wed 27-Feb-19 05:02:17

How do those of us without a car handle an emergency I wonder ?

anna7 Tue 26-Feb-19 22:36:12

I drink sometimes when looking after my granddaughter. I did when looking after my three children years ago. Not so much that I couldn't handle an emergency though. Theres always taxis. I can't see why enjoying a glass of wine or two with my evening meal or whilst watching the TV means I am compromising the safety of my granddaughter. I'm not advocating getting steaming drunk! I'm sure my son and dil enjoy a drink at home sometimes, especially at the weekend.

Tangerine Tue 26-Feb-19 21:32:48

I wouldn't drink alcohol if looking after grandchildren in case there was an emergency. Not much of a sacrifice though as, although I am not teetotal, I'm not very keen on alcohol.

gillybob Tue 26-Feb-19 21:29:51

Not a bad grandma at all Urmstongran I think perhaps I just can’t get the emergency dash to hospital, all of those years ago, out of my head and worry it could happen again. I rarely drink on a school night anyway as I wouldn’t be able to get up for the school runs or work.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Feb-19 21:25:50

I must be the only bad grandma then.

gillybob Tue 26-Feb-19 21:19:44

I never drink in charge of my DGC . I remember when my now 13 year old granddaughter had a seizure when she was a few months old and always think what would I have done if I had been drinking ? What if I needed to take one of them to hospital or any other kind of emergency cropped up while I was “on duty” ? I’m not a prude or a spoilsport and I do like a drink, but now when I am on grandma duties.

muffinthemoo Tue 26-Feb-19 20:59:16

I have to say, no one with sole charge of children should be drinking.

I have to tell myself that around 1pm most days and settle for a cup of tea instead

Cherrytree59 Tue 26-Feb-19 20:47:17

No I would never drink alcohol whilst in charge of my grandchildren.
Like Jane10 I want to able to drive if their is an emergency.
(God forbidshamrock)

Jane10 Tue 26-Feb-19 20:32:12

If I'm babysitting DGSs and sleeping over DD kindly leaves me a mini bottle of wine but I don't like to drink just in case! They laugh at me but I like to be prepared to drive in emergency. (Which God forbid!)

BlueBelle Tue 26-Feb-19 18:45:49

But it’all huge supposition we don’t know, perhaps the parents were outside to pick the kids up or even to join them for some dessert As long as they weren’t causing any trouble or being neglectful just because none of us would do it isn’t really for us to judge is it
I personally wouldn’t drink while out with grandkids but I expect plenty would .

ginny Tue 26-Feb-19 18:11:35

Sounds a bit excessive when in charge of children. I would think at least one of them should not drink at at all. What if there was an emergency ?

BlueBelle Tue 26-Feb-19 17:49:25

Well I m always too busy filling my tummy to watch how many drinks someone at another table has
I don’t drink at all except maybe at Christmas and birthday but when I do have a drink I could drink a bottle of wine with no effect at all which amazes me as you would think being practically a non drinker it would effect me more

paddyann Tue 26-Feb-19 17:35:53

If they weren't driving and had a big meal it might not have affected them .I have a friend who drinks like a fish and she never gets drunk.Two glasses of wine and I'm sick as a dog .

Gettingitrightoneday Tue 26-Feb-19 17:25:02

That has got to be over the limit.

sodapop Tue 26-Feb-19 17:22:51

That does seem too much Roseandwally I hope they were not driving home. I would not drink at all if I was driving especially if my grandchildren were passengers. If I was looking after them at home maybe a small glass of wine. Like you a well deserved G & T when they went home. They are all adults now and take me out for a drink.smile

Roseandwally29 Tue 26-Feb-19 17:13:53

DH and I met our DD for lunch today at a local pub which has a very nice beer garden there were lots of people enjoying the sunshine and eating and drinking.
I noticed one couple who seemed about our age (60+ ) and appeared to be looking after their GD who was around 3 or 4 years old. What shocked me was the amount of alcohol both the Grandparents were drinking, one pint of lager each and a bottle of wine, while in charge of their GD.
My DH or I don't drink alcohol while we are in charge of any of our GC. We usually have a drink at home after a long day spent looking after our GC when can enjoy a it and relax. Well deserved.