Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandson's handwriting

(42 Posts)
lucyinthesky Sun 24-Mar-19 14:22:01

My elder grandson is six and very bright but he struggles with his handwriting and calls himself 'stupid' sad

Any suggestions as to how we can help him please? TIA

Farmor15 Sun 24-Mar-19 21:49:29

He’s only 6 so I wouldn’t be concerned yet. I had bad handwriting (and still have) but just about legible, so good enough for exams. Both my parents also had bad handwriting and preferred to type, long before computers.

In my case, one of the issues has always been that my brain moves faster than hand. General co-ordination, dexterity, doing crafts etc was never a problem, only writing.

Mamissimo Sun 24-Mar-19 23:45:33

My left handed son struggled with handwriting and the mess was compounded by the speed of his brain. He only received a diagnosis of dyspraxia when he was 14 and did all his class work and exams on a laptop - even at university. It hasn’t held him back at all. Once you leave school you rarely need to write anything beyond your signature nowadays.

Miep1 Mon 25-Mar-19 07:53:20

Conversely, I have had people tell me all my life what beautiful handwriting I have - hasn't made me any more intelligent though!

gillybob Mon 25-Mar-19 07:57:48

I was thinking the same Miepl beautiful handwriting does not necessarily make someone super clever. Many Doctors have indecipherable handwriting and I guess there are plenty of us in lowly jobs who’s handwriting is nice and neat.

Resurgam123 Sat 18-May-19 23:01:02

Is he dyslexic? I have real problems writing. My writing was always dreadful . I eventually discovered I was dyslexic.

The wrong letters sort of jump up out at me when It's not the ones I was trying to write,
It might cover dyspraxia as well.
I am very embarassed by my handwriting.

It seems to go in my family. Me, my mum had problems then my neices daughter seems to find it hard. My daughter
Has lovely teachers writing. She's not one

Momof3 Sat 18-May-19 23:41:24

Why would grandparents need to be included in a school meeting about a 6 year old boy’s handwriting. The teacher would think you’re crazy and feel sorry for the parents.

When your grandson is with you get the play dough, plasticine out and just do what you normally do. With the best will in the he is 6 years old he is too young to be assessed unless it’s glaringly obvious and a lot can change over the next couple of years.

BradfordLass72 Sun 19-May-19 03:30:52

I've never yet met a doctor with beautiful handwriting ! They're not stupid.

I've explained to my dgs several times that learning any new skill take a long time and not knowing how to do it doesn't mean we are stupid.

When he was 5 he didn't know how to read - he wasn't stupid then and he isn't now.

Starlady Sun 19-May-19 04:55:06

What do the parents think? If they are concerned, it is their job to speak to the teacher, not the OP's.

Lucy, is there any kind of therapy at school that could help GS w/ his handwriting? Could be a muscle or coordination problem, if I understand correctly. But again, his parents have to discuss this with the school if they're interested.

As a GM though, you certainly can have him play w/ playdough or plasticine at your house. And, of course, point it out whenever he does/says something smart.

LynnK Tue 21-May-19 04:19:06

I have a PhD, published my dissertation, and have worked as an editor. I have horrible handwriting. The condition is "dysgraphia". One of my Old Testament professors is a world's leading authority in some highly specialized areas. He also is fluent in ancient Hebrew, German, ancient Greek, and Latin. A brilliant man. Both his handwriting and his printing appear as if he's in the very early years of elementary school.
Remind your grandson that handwriting may be difficult for him, but that he excels in other areas. Our son has ADD, dyslexia, and horrible handwriting; yet he finished university and now works as an IT tech.

annodomini Tue 21-May-19 16:30:13

When I was 15, my dad despaired of my atrocious handwriting - I was always getting marks deducted - and bought me a book about calligraphy which caught my interest immediately. I liked the ornamental aspect, but it had a huge effect on my school work. My teachers were astonished and I not longer had marks deducted.
My youngest DGS, 11, is left handed and his handwriting is dreadful. He can't be dyspraxic as he has excellent ball sense, plays rugby and tennis - has a mean backhand volley. In September he will go on to secondary school where I doubt if he will get much help. I have looked for books on handwriting for lefties but they are written to appeal to much younger children, subject matter unsuitable for adolescents.

Resurgam123 Tue 04-Jun-19 07:28:01

I fully sympathise. I have dyslexia and probably dyspraxsia. Letters and words pop up on their own volition. If I don't write in joined up writing my writing is much better.

Ginny42 Tue 04-Jun-19 07:57:07

My GS is a left-hander and hates writing. He cuts sentences short so that he writes less! He composes complex sentences but when he writes them down leaves out adjectives etc. I've told him the teacher can't mark what's not there and she needs to see that he knows a lot more! Sometimes I think she's done a good job deciphering what he's actually written.

He's suddenly taken to drawing quite complex images from a book called something like, 'You can draw anything' requiring good pencil control. Perhaps drawing would help to strengthen that group of hand muscles for small motor skills.

MawBroonsback Tue 04-Jun-19 08:15:00

I think this should be entitled “Problems with grandson’s self confidence”
Poor little boy.
For any child to call himself “stupid” is the saddest thing. He clearly has many talents- all children have talents- and he needs to be praised for what he is good at. To over stress what some see as a shortcoming at this stage in his development is not going to erase the feeling that he is “stupid” but reinforce it.
There are books to help with handwriting skills, I have used them with teenagers, but his teachers should be aware and doing anything necessary, perhaps he has not been properly taught. Encourage drawing and colouring, encourage word puzzles, mazes, word searches, and anything to do with language which does not depend on his handwriting.
BTW I can think of many teenagers (usually girls) who could do “pretty, pretty” handwriting, but the content was way below that of others whose writing was less “attractive”
However, the bottom line for me would be to excise that word “stupid” from his vocabulary.

Missfoodlove Tue 04-Jun-19 09:58:07

I did a short course on handwriting technique for children.
Using a liquorice lace to form the letters works a treat! They use the confectionary to shape the letter then copy the shape onto paper.
The lace is eaten as a reward.

Totaldogsbody Tue 04-Jun-19 18:01:52

Always told my DC when they said they were stupid that no one is stupid there's always something they'll be good at, it may not be writing or anything academic but they could be good at listening to others or fixing broken things we just have to find whatever that something is.

Loislovesstewie Wed 05-Jun-19 06:14:50

My son has dyspraxia, I was advised to try a triangular shape pencil! It does sometimes work. I mean by the way that the pencil is not a tube shape but looks like a triangle when viewed from above. There is something about it that makes the grip easier. And keep praising him, building up confidence will do wonders, try doing Lego or building a railway with Brio. I am sure you get the idea!