Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Taking grandchildren to the horse races?

(12 Posts)
lemonsandlimes Sun 31-Mar-19 14:31:35

Hi everyone,

I have two grandchildren aged 10 and 12, and I was thinking about taking them to the horse races, as there are free tickets for under 18s and lots of fun activities and games that they'd like. Has anyone heard of it before? Would anyone do the same?

Thank you!

PamelaJ1 Sun 31-Mar-19 14:46:52

We took my nephew. He was very intrigued by the little men.
I choose my horse by the pattern on the horses bottom.
I don’t recommend this method!

M0nica Sun 31-Mar-19 14:48:30

I went to the races for the first time when I was about fifteen, with my two younger sisters and parents. No special events for younger people but we loved it. We had a flutter on each race through our parents, watched the races and cheered our horse on.

I must have gone to the races half a dozen times between 15 and 18. And for all those who worry none of us became gamblers. It was just a bit of excitement to give a point to each race.

I then did not go to the races for about 40 years and when I went again. I enjoyed it as much.

Marydoll Sun 31-Mar-19 14:54:23

We used to live near Ayr Racecourse and were regular visitors with our three children, we even had one in a buggy, at one point. I wasn't even a racing fan, but DH was the lover of horse racing and it was away of having a family day out, as DH worked long hours.
The bonus for me was the people watching.
The children loved all the excitement and the buzz. Our eldest son, when he was about ten, even had his own binoculars.
lemonsandlimes, it sounds even more fun if there are games and activities for the young ones. I would go for it.

NanKate Sun 31-Mar-19 15:09:38

It sounds great fun,go for it.

Cold Sun 31-Mar-19 15:26:09

Sounds like a fun day out

EllanVannin Sun 31-Mar-19 15:28:17

I remember vividly back in 1948 when dad took me to Aintree for the Grand National and thinking back watching the horses sweating, snorting and worn out upset me and from then onwards I've hated and detested any form of this type of " punishment " towards these beautiful creatures.
Sorry folks but I'm dead against it.

trisher Sun 31-Mar-19 15:51:26

I went to the races before I could walk. Pushed in my pram onto Beverley Westwood. I don't remember that much. Just it was a great place to have a picnic. My dad took us to all sorts of courses. I do remember being in Newton Abbot when a horse had to be shot. I'd say go for it. There's much more going on now and if they don't like it it will always be talked about- when gran took us to the races!

phoenix Sun 31-Mar-19 16:31:19

As a racing afficionado, I would say yes. Many race courses are now having family centric events designed to have something for everyone.

EllanVannin I love my racing, in fact it is the only sport that I'm passionate about. I have mixed feelings about the Grand National, but in general everyone involved with the sport has love for the horses and cares about their wellbeing.

BlueBelle Sun 31-Mar-19 17:13:05

It’s one of those things some people love and some hate I really dislike horse racing and also dislike betting so it’s not somewhere I d want to take kids but each to his own and if it’s your thing why not
I m with you on this one EllanVannin I hate to see any animals being pushed to give entertainment for humans

notanan2 Sun 31-Mar-19 17:15:27

Depends on the parents take on the ethics of it....

Urmstongran Mon 01-Apr-19 11:44:58

You could always ask Mr. Ed what he thinks!
I used to love this programme in the early 60’s.
?