Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Nana or granny?

(179 Posts)
Sophiasnana Mon 15-Apr-19 23:51:42

I have just read an article in Good Housekeeping magazine about a woman who has just become a grandmother for the first time and is horrified at the thought of being called granny, grandma, nana or any other such name. She wants to be known as ‘wow’. I am utterly at a loss to understand her reasoning! For me, the best thing in the world is to hear my beloved grandchildren, aged 9,8,6 and 3, call me nana! What does everyone else think?

NannyC1 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:50:06

My 2 year old DGD calls me Nanna and sometimes for some reason known only to herself Pabi !! I answer to it because otherwise she says it until I do.?

Rielly62 Tue 16-Apr-19 23:39:10

We live in Wales so I am Naini and DH is Taida ( pronounced Nine ee and Tide a ) The Welsh for Nan and Grandad.
My Mum and Dad are Nana and Grandy.
I have heard of Nana's, Grandad's, Grandpa's, Ganga's, Pop's, Poppa's, Gar's, Ninny's and many more.
I don't think it should matter to anybody else what you are called, as long as you are happy with it.

Overthehills Tue 16-Apr-19 22:11:58

My DD’s ex-MiL asked me what I wanted to be called when DGD was born and I said I was delighted to be a granny so would go with that. She declared that she was too young to be a granny so would be Nannie. Ironically DGD had other ideas about my name and has always called something not remotely connected with grandparent hood!!

HillyN Tue 16-Apr-19 22:00:29

I was influenced by my relationships with my own grandparents. I had a Grandma who always seemed old and was quite strict and a Nanna who had a younger outlook and was more easy-going. So when my first GC was born I naturally chose to be Nanna!

Horton1828 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:56:43

Am Nanny H to my grandchildren, soon to be Granny H to my expected 1st Great grandchild.... so excited ?

nannypink1 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:52:30

I’m called nanny and I love it....it’s so lovely being a grandmother ....it’s just the best

minxie Tue 16-Apr-19 21:05:58

If I ever have a grandchild, I would like to be called Glamma
Why because I am ?

rafichagran Tue 16-Apr-19 20:23:33

I am called Gran, I am proud to have 3 Grandchildren.

Evie64 Tue 16-Apr-19 20:08:45

I'm "Ninny". My granddaughter couldn't quite get her tongue round Nanny, so she's 14 now, and I'm still a Ninny! Yeah, I make her right, I've always been a bit of a ninny!

Sleepygran Tue 16-Apr-19 20:08:06

I'm Nan.the other grandma wanted to be granny so all was well until she changed her mind and wanted to be Nan too!when the oldest was 3 years old!
So now we have Nan and Nanna-her first name.

hapgran Tue 16-Apr-19 19:25:51

Another granny here, as my mum was to my children. Interesting how many of us have followed family tradition.

harrigran Tue 16-Apr-19 19:24:06

I am Grandma, my oppo is Granny, we haven't done Nana since DH's mother died.

labazsisslowlygoingmad Tue 16-Apr-19 19:21:41

im known as granny poppy the poppy being the name of my dog!

thecatgrandma Tue 16-Apr-19 19:19:53

I had a Nana, who I didn’t have much to do with, and my mother in law was always Nanny to my girls. Since I wasn’t keen on her either (?) I am more than happy to be Grandma. My grandsons all have ‘Grandmas’ on both sides, I’m suspect they have their own ways of differentiating between us!

Canalboatgranma Tue 16-Apr-19 19:15:38

I call myself Grandma, but my bilingual 22 month gd calls me Mani (usually at the top of her voice), which is her version of Mami, the French name for grandma.

Bazza Tue 16-Apr-19 19:12:43

We decided to see what our first grandchild came up with rather than have a chosen name. Much to everyone's amusement it was Barry, I have no idea why. This has stuck, so obviously all the others followed suit. This has been shortened to Bazza or Baz, hence my username. Even my husband calls me Baz. I do get some funny looks if they call me when we're out.

My rather glam friend couldn't come up with a suitable name when her first grandchild was born. I happened to have a book about names which gave the name for grandmother all over the world. Lola means granny in the Philippines (I think it was the Philippines) so she is now Lola and everyone is happy! Certainly more glamorous than Barry!

montymops Tue 16-Apr-19 19:01:45

My eldest grandson got the g and a the wrong way round when trying to say my name, so instead of Granny I am known as Aggie and that suits me just fine - the other 5 have all followed suit

BoboGran Tue 16-Apr-19 18:53:50

I just left it for whatever name they wanted to call me but hoped it would be Grandma...and it is!..i never had any Grandparents and often envied my friends who had....so now i am extra pleased to be a Grandma.

Mousepotato Tue 16-Apr-19 18:43:54

My first GC was born on my 40th birthday. Most women would be horrified to be a GM at that age but I was thrilled when my grandson was born! We bonded right away and have remained very close even though he is nearly 29 now and lives across the country from me. He still calls me googie - he jumbled all the words up as a baby and that’s what came out haha. So his sister and brother call me that too of course. My other GC call me nana. What’s in a name? As long as there is love who cares - and how many nicknames do we call our GC they don’t like. Just saying.

Grandmama Tue 16-Apr-19 18:37:58

Both my grandmothers were Grandma with their respective surnames added when necessary. I'm Granny but now wish I'd been Grandma.

Hilmix Tue 16-Apr-19 17:50:07

I've been a Nanna since the age of 43 and love it. My youngest son's children call me Judith if I mis-hear something that has been said or say something 'batty'. Judith isn't even my name!

Theoddbird Tue 16-Apr-19 17:34:36

I took a word from an old American sitcom....

judylow Tue 16-Apr-19 16:28:53

Granny as that is what I called my grandmother and my children called my mother.

moh22 Tue 16-Apr-19 16:22:01

I’m Gran to my 5 grandchildren, DiL’s mum is Granny to her 7 grandchildren (2 in common). and ex H’s current wife (No 3) is also Granny but with first name added to avoid confusion!! We’re all happy with this ............ as far as I’m led to believe anyway grin

cheekychops61 Tue 16-Apr-19 16:16:00

I always wanted to be grandma when my grandson was born nearly seven years ago but for some reason he started to call me mop and my mother-in-law was great mop. We haven't got a clue where it came from but am grandma now.