Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandson with huge appetite

(33 Posts)
Bazza Sun 05-May-19 08:04:04

One of my grandsons who is 9 has always had a huge appetite. Up until now he has been a normal weight for his age, but he is beginning to look larger than he should. His mum scratch cooks every day and he has a brilliant healthy diet but.....he is always hungry. When he has finished his dinner he says he is still hungry. He will eat an apple, but would eat three if you let him! He has been diagnosed with mild dyspraxia, and although he is quite active, he doesn’t enjoy running around as much as his younger brother, who in incidently very lean. We’re all very careful not to point out that he is putting weight on, but how do you rein in a huge appetite?

He does have occasional treats so he is not deprived totally! He is a lovely gentle affectionate child, and we all worry that he will become overweight with all the problems that goes with it.

His father is overweight and isn’t the greatest role model.

As the mother of two very picky girls who had to be persuaded to eat I was initially delighted to have a grandchild who would eat anything put in front of him! He will try anything new, there’s not much he doesn’t like, except liver which he said tasted cloudy!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Evie64 Sun 05-May-19 20:37:06

Try and get him to do the 20-20-20. Only load your fork with 20% of the food on your plate, chew it 20 times, and wait 20 mins after you have finished your meal to see if you are still hungry. Can't say I've tried it yet, but met up with my daughter today for a pub roast and she swears by it.

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 22:43:57

A bit much for a 9 year old to do and makes a big deal of what should be dealt with as a trivial problem from his view.

Fine for adults.

Purplepoppies Mon 06-May-19 07:03:25

I too think he may be readying himself for a growth spurt.
I can tell when my dgd is about to get taller (shes at my shoulder aged 8) because she eats like a horse and looks for more. Rarely has a tummy though. Shes all legs at the moment. But she never sits still! Even while she's sitting, some part of her is moving. She hasn't any diagnosis of adhd, just fidgety.

BradfordLass72 Mon 06-May-19 10:04:22

My grandson is 9 and has a appetite similar to your dgs.

He is growing upwards as we watch! I can hardly believe how tall he's gotten in just 6 months.

My sister, thin as a rake, used to eat constantly - a box of Weetabix every couple of days in addition to her 3-4 regular big meals and often taking a cake to bed with her.
She freely admitted she never, ever felt full.

I who was on a strict diet (no sweets, fried foods, cake etc) because I was fat from birth, constantly put on weight, eating a fraction of what everyone else ate.

There's no justice but at least now I know why it happens. grin

Incidentally, I have been labeled 'obese', better yet, 'morbidly obese' most of my life but it has in no way restricted me from having an extremely active life.

Even the health problems which have come with my 70's are nothing to do with being fat.
So let's not run away with the idea - much outdated - that being fat means early death and useless to society.

Chinesecrested Mon 06-May-19 10:34:39

Kids put it on, and then take it off! Mine always did. I've got skinny photos and fat photos.

Hm999 Mon 06-May-19 10:54:35

My son always got wider just before he got taller (and thinner again)! My daughter never did.

Callistemon Mon 06-May-19 14:22:10

My DS had what we called 'hollow legs'.