Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Is it okay to say let's skip this summer

(77 Posts)
Overit Mon 27-May-19 19:22:19

My daughter has 2 children 14 and 11. My grandaughter is 14 and grandson 11. Every summer since they have been born I have paid for them and their mother and myself to go on vacation to various places. In addition my grandaughtr has spent one week at my house since she was 9 mos old and now the grandson wants to spend a week. But this year, I AM TIRED. I do not want to have to move my furniture around and then put it back when they come. I don't want to spend all the money I spend when they visit, and frankly, I no longer enjoy all our "adventures". I am broke and I am worn out and I will gladly continue to take them to a few places with their mother and pay for it, but I don't want to have to entertain at my house. Am I the only one who feels this way and is it okay to tell their mother no visits this summer? It really stresses me out.

Coolgran65 Mon 24-Jun-19 09:34:03

When mine are with me (12 ad 9) they brush the patio. If I do a little gardening they take the bits to the bin and sweep up. They water the garden. Doesn’t bother me or them if they get mucky or wet. Shower and change clothes or straight into PJs.

For breakfast, cereal, toast and fruit, they set and clear the table. Any crumbs they vac the floor. They do dishes or load the dishwasher.

They never get bored as they are always happy to go on their technology. And as for tv they love to watch Garden Rescue or Super Nanny so I always have these recorded. Also there’s always a few suitable movies recorded.

At my house there’s no specific limitation on tv etc as it’s only for a short time.