Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Practical present ideas for first time daddy to be.

(39 Posts)
Ninarosa Sun 25-Aug-19 17:24:14

I've arranged a sort of alternative joint baby shower for my DIL and son , to include some of us oldies who want to wish them well.
I didn't want to go OTT with my gift in case other guests didn't bring anything ( quite feasible as great grandparents to be not always getting the drift of things ).
I've bought DIL a trendy - don't think that's a very trendy or should I say on trend word these days is it ? -fair isle slipper socks for padding about the hospital ward in.
I can't for the life of me think of a thoughtful gift for my son though. I've provided a hamper of baby related stuff already so would love any thoughts you all may have on this.
It seems since my son left home and subsequently married , I've ground to a halt as to what he likes and needs in the present department.
Yours, one early onset anxious Gran to be

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Aug-19 17:18:12

I don't know about the "dummies" series but the Matt Coyne book is certainly not of the "Dads are useless" sort!
And sling-wise, my son-in-law finds the one that is like a wrap doesn't work very well for him. He has been himself and chosen one that suits him and is happy with that one.

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Aug-19 17:24:05

I don't know the book "Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting" but it's for parents 3-13.

Summerlove Tue 27-Aug-19 17:28:11

Slippers and a snack basket for hospital
Perhaps a travel pillow for hospital?

I love the idea of a second sling so he can keep it his size. I love dads carrying babies.

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 17:32:06

I don't know the book "Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting" but it's for parents 3-13.

And?

A baby's not just for Christmas wink

When expecting our first DH enjoyed the parenting books more than the baby books. It was nice to think ahead and chat about how we planned to raise them! even though those plans go out the window once they arrive LOL

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 17:35:19

Stretchy slings are the newborn skin to skin slings and are also suitable for premature or sick babies, the formed "papoose" style are not so great for newborns, plus as you say, that type of sling is a very personal choice and usually a bigger outlay so better left to the parents to chose

Buy at £20ish quid you cant go far wrong so a stretchy sling is worth a gamble!

GoodMama Tue 27-Aug-19 21:57:27

“Happiest Baby On The Block” by Dr Harvey Karp was given to my DH by a male co-worker before our oldest was born.

It ended up being our favorite gift! Tips on soothing a fussy baby.

Life saver smile

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:09:46

Go the f*uck to sleep is also good grin (but better as am audio narrated by Morgan Freeman)

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:12:16

youtu.be/Udj-o2m39NA oops its Samuel L Jackson (was sure it was Morgan Freeman... thats me off the GN pub quiz team :-D )

Can get the book on Amazon

pinkprincess Tue 27-Aug-19 22:36:03

My son became a father when he was 19 years old.At the time he informed me that he did not want to be advised on anything because ''It will be all a piece of cake''
He now has five children and two grandchildren and is still unfazed by the whole thing.
His father had the same attitude. Feed them , keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer and everything will be alright. He just left it up to me to do it all.

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 22:40:56

Well I agree with them. Babies are easy: keep them fed, clean and at room temperature.

Children are hard.

GoodMama Tue 27-Aug-19 22:48:50

“Well I agree with them. Babies are easy: keep them fed, clean and at room temperature.

Children are hard.”

The most true statement I’ve ever heard smile

pinkprincess Tue 27-Aug-19 22:58:14

Yes children can be hard. Looking after a baby is as my son described '' Apiece of cake'' compared to what comes later.
There are no books to help you with that bit.

notanan2 Tue 27-Aug-19 23:39:19

Maybe instead of babyshowers we should be throwing "you are about to have an adolescent" showers?