Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Hating the inappropriate name

(174 Posts)
onlyruth Sun 20-Oct-19 13:48:43

Before I start, it's absolutely down to my daughter and son in law what they call their child. I'm very aware that there are whole areas of being a grandmother where I have to back off and not interfere. But I'm struggling with this more than is sensible and I need to get my head straight.

The name that they're planning on giving their daughter, due soon, I hate. And it's raised some eyebrows when my daughter's been asked by other family members, but again, people have tried to bite their tongue. I'm sorry that I'm not saying what it is, but I'm terrified that if my daughter googled it, that she'd find this post (so please don't speculate and type any guesses in your responses).
The connotations of the name (think stripper/prostitute) are such that I simply can't imagine using it to a tiny innocent baby. People's reaction has been to instantly ask what they'll call her for short - I imagine that like me, they're hoping they won't have to use the full name. But they don't have shortened version that they're considering.

Has anyone else felt this way? Do the connotations disappear once the baby 'becomes' their name? Has anyone actually been brave enough to say 'I think this is going to be a difficult name for your daughter to grow up with'? So far the connotations have been only lightly mentioned to them by another family member, and they've not seen a problem.

It doesn't help that some people, though privately thinking it's weird, have to their face said "oh what a lovely name!"
I suppose I want somebody brave (but not me) to be honest!

Anyway, do I try to bite the bullet and use the whole name, or shorten it myself into my pet name for her?

Starlady Sat 07-Dec-19 00:18:59

Sorry, I said the name, but others already did. And, no worries, this doesn't come up when one googles the name (I tried it).

Oh, and I saw there's a popular American radio host by that name. Really, it has other associations today besides the ones we "golden oldies" are familiar with.

Starlady Sat 07-Dec-19 00:16:21

Delilah? It's also in a modern love song ("Hey there, Delilah"). And I doubt many of her peers will think, "OMG! She has the name of a Biblical prostitute! And a girl who was killed in an old Tom Jones song! (if they know who Tom Jones is, LOL!). Please don't overthink this. It will be ok.

welbeck Fri 06-Dec-19 18:22:32

wish people would read the whole thing; we were specifically asked not to name the name. OP fearful of discovery by child's parents.
looking at the other place, I was aware this had become a popular name. like most people of my generation, the biblical associations are uppermost; however, I do not know of this character as a harlot but certainly as someone whom a strong man might want to avoid.
however, as noted, younger people seem totally ignorant of what used to be known as general knowledge, inc biblical refs.
as for the song, isn't that another case of partner=slaying.
but people often do not listen closely/ understand even pop songs. the one that repeats, i'll be watching you, is often used in romantic settings. however the man who wrote/sings it is astonished by this, as he says it's obviously v sinister, about stalking.

ananimous Fri 06-Dec-19 16:27:18

Can you call her Dahling/sweetheart/Nanny's treasure etc?

GrannySomerset Fri 06-Dec-19 16:26:30

At least give a child a name which everyone can spell. I was blessed with a name so unusual that I was always asked to spell it - and have never met another, though fairly recently someone with the same Christian name was a successful author. When complaining to my mother and saying “why didn’t you call me Anne?” she pointed out that I would still have been asked to spell it.

In my mind I am really Jane or Elizabeth. Thank

TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Dec-19 15:56:52

I would never actually judge a person by their name, unlike the awful Katie Hopkins who had a long list of names she hated, also saying she hated names of geographical nature yet her own child was called India .
I actually like the name beginning with D I also love the the name Dilys too

Franbern Fri 06-Dec-19 15:19:55

Anyone, at any age, can choose to change their name and be called by something totally different.
My eldest daughter - Susan, decided she wanted to be called Jonny, when she was about 16 or 17. Lasted a couple of years and then became (and stayed)Sue. Her next sister down changed my choice of Karen to Keren, which is now shortened to Kez which we all use.
Two of my teenage g.children have changed their names - one as he changed his gender, and the second not to be outdone by her older sibling!!!
Names are really not a once and only decision.

LullyDully Thu 05-Dec-19 18:04:45

Delilah

Alexa Tue 03-Dec-19 10:12:21

Lola?

LullyDully Tue 03-Dec-19 08:31:18

There was a girl at the nursery called D . I expressed a doubt and no-one else had any idea what I was on about. Times have changed I suppose. Just the song left now.

downtoearth Tue 03-Dec-19 04:58:25

Reported

bonbon88 Tue 03-Dec-19 02:53:31

Thank you for providing this interesting and fascinating information. You can experience many interesting games here.

Bridgeit Sat 16-Nov-19 17:02:55

I don’t think a younger age group than GNetters would bat an eyelid at a child being named the D, name, I doubt many would even know of a certain association with it.
It can be easily shortened as many are.( Folks naturally do this)
I am rarely called by my name, everyone shortens it ( usually a choice of about 3 adaptations)
Don’t worry, best wishes

BlueBelle Sat 16-Nov-19 15:09:34

Best to read the thread It’s the D name

Jaxie Sat 16-Nov-19 14:56:24

Is it Rahab or Roxanne? I don't think there are enough people around who are that familiar with the Bible if it is that name for it to matter. I know a lovely person who called her dear little daughter Mazey, yes, that spelling. Anyone who is familiar with Thomas Hardy's novels will know it is in Dorset dialect an adjective for one who is mentally challenged, but I bet the child never gets to know this. My husband insisted on Emlyn as a middle name for my son ( after Emlyn Hughes the footballer) and my son hates it. But what does it really matter? Someone told me my grandson Louis would be teased at school and called poet Louis, but it never happened.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Nov-19 14:46:15

But it isn’t the J name grannygranby

Davida1968 Sat 16-Nov-19 14:44:24

Zowie Bowie is now Duncan Jones and is a film director.

grannygranby Sat 16-Nov-19 14:42:33

I mentioned this to my daughter and she immediately thought of J and said how cool was that. Its a reclaiming of a strong independent woman...title of sassy online mag and inflencer and easily shortened to other attractive names. dont worry its good

SpanielNanny Sun 03-Nov-19 20:08:34

onlyruth
I’ve (tried) to attach a link, I hope it might make you feel better. According to this article D was the 90th most popular name in England & Whales last year, there were 601 babies given that name. Although not overly ‘popular’, it is certainly not as obscure as you may think. I honestly don’t think that your granddaughter’s peers will give the name much thought.

www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2019/08/name-of-the-week-delilah.html

Tedber Sun 03-Nov-19 18:41:00

Have had fun trying to guess the name in question! Think I have sussed it. Won't say it out of respect.

All can say as others have said, point it out to the parents but if they insist then just embrace it. After all a rose is a rose by any other name... (sorry if someone has said that). There are some very erm odd names at my GC's school but they just accept them from day 1 and become the norm.

If the GD really detests her name when she is older, she can change it. Anybody remember David Bowie calling his son, Zowie? who I think called himself Joe at school.

janeainsworth Tue 29-Oct-19 08:21:44

Ruth Not read the whole thread so apologies if someone else has said this.
But I don’t think that I think this is going to be a difficult name for your daughter to grow up with is an unreasonable thing to say to one’s daughter, especially if you said ‘might be’ instead of ‘is going to be’.

You aren’t criticising your daughter, or even the name.
You’re suggesting that other people might be unpleasant about it.
It probably hasn’t occurred to her and she might be very grateful.

BlueBelle Tue 29-Oct-19 05:18:09

purpledaffodill I very nearly had a granddaughter given the same striped name but they changed their minds ....phew? we d have got used to it I m sure but glad we didn’t have to

Purpledaffodil Tue 29-Oct-19 04:50:39

There was a D in my school who must be 20 now. Preferable to those made up names or names spelled wrongly; Aliss anybody? DD was very keen on naming her son after large striped member of cat family. Think golfer! Luckily she changed her mind. ?

geekesse Mon 28-Oct-19 23:19:24

My Mum in Law wasn’t at all keen on the (biblical) names We gave our first 4 kids. When I was expecting no 5, I told her it was going to be Hepzibah if a girl and Melchizadek if a boy. By the time he was born, almost anything was going to be better than those options, and his (then slightly unusual) biblical name therefore seemed perfectly acceptable to her.

Sara65 Mon 28-Oct-19 21:08:45

Then good for you Bluebelle, I’ve already said, first impressions can be wrong, but it’s sometimes hard not to have them.