Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Cot escapee

(62 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 23-Dec-19 00:23:36

My daughter and grandson live with me (although I'm moving away after New Year).

My very darling grandson (who is a little monster, despite my adoration) is 20 months. He has recently learned to climb out of his cot. He's like Houdini and can get out within about 10 seconds. Tonight, he climbed out 4 times. Once while we were standing and watching him.

Do you have any suggestions as to what we should do? We have a stairgate between the bedrooms and the stairs BUT if the wee horror can get out of the cot, the stairgate may not pose a huge barrier.

Newquay Tue 24-Dec-19 06:08:16

Our DD1 was an absolute pest getting out of her bed (new baby in cot). DH used to go and have a shave next to her bedroom door continually saying “get back into bed”!
Eventually put her walking harness on her and passed it under mattress so she could only sit up but not get out. Only did it once and after that, when she got out, would say “right let’s get the harness”, she’d say “no harness, no harness” and then stay in bed. My dear sister threatened to report us (lol!) but she didn’t have this problem!

vickymeldrew Tue 24-Dec-19 07:25:03

Although this thread makes interesting reading, I really think the OP is making such a fuss over nothing. (sorry). Just put the little fella in a toddler bed and help him to learn about the next stage in his life. Every child grows out of a cot at some point!

GreenGran78 Tue 24-Dec-19 08:20:23

You just have to play it by ear. My first four went into single beds at around 18 months, but my youngest walked at 8 months, was climbing like a monkey before his first birthday, and was promoted to a bed very early.
My youngest granddaughter, who will be 3 in February, is still in her large size cot -bed, and happily sleeps with the sides up. She has never attempted to climb out yet.
There were no stair gates when my children were young. Like others I taught them to climb the stairs carefully and come down backwards. We never had a single accident. It’s better to teach children about dangers instead of keeping them away from them - age appropriately, of course.

Saggi Tue 24-Dec-19 09:23:22

Beds..... as soon as they could climb out of cots......beds. Low if necessary ( I never bothered).... good old fashioned apple- pie sheets, so they don’t slip down too far...and a blanket to fall out on if necessary. A taller stair gate should solve that problem .

allule Tue 24-Dec-19 09:28:43

My daughter fitted a trellis type garden gate instead of a stairgate outside my grandson's bedroom door. Her worst moment was when she had a frantic phone call from her sister, who lived a few doors away, and had spotted him standing, naked, on the window sill trying to open the window!

Barmeyoldbat Tue 24-Dec-19 10:31:40

Greengran, my son was the same, walking at 9 months and in a bed at 10 months with cushions on the floor by the bed in case he fell. He became a dab hand at using a screw driver at about 18 months and if he could find one would take screws out of anything he could reach. Including on one a
occasion the plug socket. He was a nightmare.

JuliaM Tue 24-Dec-19 13:07:32

My Mother was a children’s Nurse for over 30years at out local hospital. They had cots that were made of sturdy metal and they stood on a stone terrazzo floor, far from a soft landing if any child was to fall trying to climb over the cot sides during the night. Any potential escapees where held in place by a heavy duty netting strung over the top of the cot and held down to the side rails using large clips similar to what is used on Dog leads today. The netting was very similar to the camouflage netting used by our armed forces today, except without the camouflage fabric attached. Mothercare used to sell something similar when my first daughter was born in the mid 1970s, they worked very well at keeping a child safely enclosed, but are no longer available today as trends in childcare have changed such a lot since then.

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 13:44:15

You could just let the side down on the cot if you haven't got a bed ready and waiting.
He would have a softer landing.

Callistemon Tue 24-Dec-19 16:13:25

Be prepared for Christmas stocking opening at about 4.30 am or even earlier now he can escape!

tchwink

madmum38 Sun 29-Dec-19 20:59:57

Is the mattress on the lowest setting? My grandson’s has just gone down another notch

GagaJo Sun 29-Dec-19 21:38:04

Yes. We're resigned to the fact that he can get out of bed. Getting someone to come and put a fixed, HIGH babygate on his bedroom door, but until that is done, we're not putting him to bed until he's sleepy. Cuts down on him getting up. Also turning all lights off upstairs and shutting the stair gate.

He DID get out of his cot last night after I was in bed (mum was still downstairs). When he saw it was cold and dark on the landing, he was very willing to let me put him back in bed, and snuggle him up.