Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Would this be appropriate?

(110 Posts)
LullyDully Wed 05-Feb-20 16:33:00

I would stick to Julia Donaldson. Enid was all we had and enjoyed, but the choice now is so much better.

Having said that my GC enjoyed some recordings of Famous Five we listened to in the car.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Feb-20 16:29:19

I love a good Enid Blyton.
Naughty toys always get their comeuppance, learn their lesson, and mend their ways.

HettyMaud Wed 05-Feb-20 16:18:21

I know exactly what you mean. My mother started reading Snow White to my GS when he was quite small and, to her horror, there was something about a stabbing in as I recall. Also there are tales of wicked stepmothers.

My children were brought up reading Enid Blyton though and most stories are wonderful. However some of it is not deemed politically correct now and you will find some words and phrases that seem old fashioned. I'm not sure what to advise you.

But what I will say is that my GS (now 12) has been brought up on books by people like David Walliams - and he hates reading now and I wonder if this is partly why - because they are such dross.

If you had the time you could type out some Enid Blyton stories and alter them where you considered it appropriate to do so. Or if you are reading the stories to the little boy you could alter the text in pencil before you start (although of course you're defacing the books by doing that). I did this with some Just William stories - there were a lot of words in there that I knew my son would not understand and I didn't want him to lose interest. So I wrote in the margin what the words meant. Consequently he loved them. I do feel from what I have seen that today's children's books are mainly a load of rubbish.

Chestnut Wed 05-Feb-20 16:17:58

I have always explained to my grandchildren that in the old days this or that happened. You can tell them this story was when naughty children used to be smacked but we don't do it any more. I don't think you should keep the past hidden from them. I told mine that children used to sweep chimneys and work in factories, and that they weren't lucky enough to go to school!

Ilovecheese Wed 05-Feb-20 16:17:12

First of all I would ask your grandson's parents if they agree to you reading the books to him. Some people object to Enid Blyton altogether, either because of things like spankings or because they are not very well written.

Then if they agree I would read the stories as they are but use them to start a discussion about corporal punishment with your grandson.
e.g. How would you feel if you were given a spanking?
Would it stop you being naughty? I'm really glad that no one smacks you! etc.

Greymar Wed 05-Feb-20 16:16:58

I don't think a 5 year old needs to trouble his/her head by thoughts of adults spanking children in the past.

Septimia Wed 05-Feb-20 16:11:36

Tricky one. Our GD is being read Enid Blyton and, although she's older, I'm sure there are things in the stories that don't fit with current ideas.

I'd be inclined, with parental approval, to try one with minimal corporal punishment and explain that it was something that happened 'in the olden days' but people don't do that any more.

As you say, there's a lot to be missed story-wise if they're all consigned to the bin.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 05-Feb-20 16:11:31

We read them to our GCs and then they read them themselves, we just explained (as we read them) that some things in the book were very old fashioned and we do things differently today, we then had a chat about how effective the naughty step was........ as it turned out, not very!
Just wait until you get to the Just William books! They found them hilarious, but again, very old fashioned. I think a 5 year old will be fine with them.

Humbertbear Wed 05-Feb-20 16:11:26

There are so many lovely books for young children now. Enid Blyton was dated 40 years ago when my children were little. I have found my grand children want books with more modern illustrations. We have a story book of Cinderella where she only agrees to marry the prince when he agrees to do his share of the chores!

Havemercy Wed 05-Feb-20 16:06:13

I am posting in the hope of some feedback/advice on the subject of appropriate reading material for our five year old grandson. Very recently I saw a book of stories by Enid Blyton on e-bay - stories I remember from my own late childhood and which I remember reading to our children with enjoyment when they were young. Sent off for The Tales at Bedtime and received it the other day. However, on reading the stories (some of which have a moral message eg "They took the Wrong Road") a few have episodes of naughty children being given a spanking or slippering. Now as much I would love grandson to discover this book through my reading it to him - would it be appropriate? A friend told me that I would be totally wrong to read him stories which feature any sort of physical punishment and I understand this point of view totally but wondered if anyone has other views or advice. Could change the spanking to naughty step I suppose but my friend says even this would be a bit iffy! It might mean that a whole world of Enid Blyton stories were closed to my grandson. Any views?