Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

No grandchildren

(33 Posts)
sodapop Sat 15-Feb-20 12:25:28

It's a shame you don't have more contact with your sons MrsMopp , can you have a Whstsapp group with them or something similar so you can have more continuous contact. As for the grandchildren, that's their decision and you can't live your life through them. My daughter made the same decision and will not change her mind. Time to stop fretting about it and get on with your lives, good friends are a blessing.

kissngate Sat 15-Feb-20 12:15:01

It might happen one day! Our former neighbours like you thought it wouldn't happen. Both in their 70s two sons in 40s one married one not. Dil surprised them at 43 and 44 with two gc then son 2 met someone shortly after and they now have a third gc.

We have a married son in his 40s with no children. We dont pry if it happens it happens.

sandelf Sat 15-Feb-20 12:14:03

Same here. This is the first generation where people have a realistic choice to have children or not. And more than expected are choosing not. Cannot blame people - we all live our lives doing the best we think at the time.

Doodle Sat 15-Feb-20 12:07:04

mrsmopp sorry you feel so sad about missing out on grandchildren. They are a great joy in our lives but also a constant source of worry (just like having your own all over again). Our DGS is autistic and I worry about him constantly. Life has not been easy for him or his mum and dad. Having said that I love him and my DGDs to bits and wouldn’t be without any of them.
If it is not to be for you, then concentrate on enjoying the life you have. Best wishes.

jusnoneed Sat 15-Feb-20 11:55:57

I think more and more younger people (especially the chaps it seems) are deciding to stay single or not have children.
My eldest has a family, we don't see any of them - haven't for 11 years.
My youngest has said he is never doing the "getting married/kids" thing. In his early 30's he may change his mind, but as long as he's happy that's all that matters. A few of his friends seem to be thinking same way, all busy enjoying being single with the occasional fling!

Sara65 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:41:46

Mrsmopp

I’m lucky enough to have six grandchildren, but if it was left to my son , there certainly wouldn’t be any, as he has no interest in getting married, or having a family. I always thought it would happen eventually, but now in his mid forties, I think it’s unlikely.

We work together, and get on well, but I know absolutely nothing about his life outside of work, and if we didn’t work together, I doubt I’d hardly see him.

V3ra Sat 15-Feb-20 11:27:59

That does sound sad. Have you talked to a good friend about how you feel? Do any of your friends have grandchildren you could "share" an interest in? Any young neighbours with no family nearby who might appreciate your friendship? Schools that might welcome a volunteer to listen to the children read?
So hard when life doesn't work out how we'd been quietly hoping for.

mrsmopp Sat 15-Feb-20 11:04:22

We have finally given up hope - there are never going to be any grandchildren and we feel so sad. We are 75 now and our two sons have never wanted marriage or children. The subject is never mentioned.
We hardly see either of them, they are getting on with their lives - we might get a phone call every couple of weeks, but they seldom visit and we’re not asked to see them, they are so busy. One is two hours drive away, the other is more than 3 hours away.
I’m glad we have plenty of friends, it certainly helps.