Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandchild living with Grandparents

(5 Posts)
LorB Tue 05-May-20 15:12:40

Hi, Does anyone have a grandchild living with them?
We have our 9 year old granddaughter living with us, she has been with us for 3 years now. I gave up work to care for her. We don't get any financial help as we're grandparents and no real advice.
It's hard work especially in the current situation, staying home and safe and trying to do schoolwork.

lemsip Tue 12-May-20 22:42:23

what a lovely thing for you to do for your granddaughter! It is not easy once we are older, well done to you. Can you claim child benefit that her parents would have got?

Babyshark Wed 13-May-20 04:13:12

Do you have a court order and were social care involved? If yes to both you maybe entitled to financial support. You should also be able to claim child benefit.

downtoearth Wed 13-May-20 07:53:40

I have bought my GD ip since the age of 4,She is now 21.
She was placed with me when my daughter died.

I obtained parental responsibilty,and a Special Guardianship order.
Social services awarded a SG allowance.

Depending on income child tax credits,child benefit,with a guardians allowance included might be worth investigating.

If your grandchild has been officially placed with you,the parents are not entitled to be claiming child benefit,this should be for you

Good luck, you need to be proactive in sourcing all this,as in my experience information isnt readily available.

Despite all the hardships and difficult times you will get through,and find it rewarding but exhausting,stay strongsmile

downtoearth Wed 13-May-20 07:58:34

My GD is still with me,she has grown into a pleasure anda treasure,which hasnt always been the casegrin